Why BiTOG Is My Favorite Message Board!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://forums.pickuptruck.com/showf...60298&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all

I used to take the time and actually try to help these guys on other message boards out, but it's gotten to the point where I feel as if I'm fighting a lost cause.

Just take a few minutes to read through this...

Here's my favorite post:

"Synthetic oil contains polymers and the polymer that is added is polyalphaolefin. It increases lubrication and gives it higher range of temps and some other things that will bore you. Here are some other additives that are in synthetic and blend oils:
# Antifoamants
# Chlorine-free PIBSAs
# Corrosion Passivators
# Demulsifiers
# Dispersants/Detergents
# Emulsifiers
# Extreme Pressure/Antiwear
# Friction Modifiers/Limited Slip
# Oxidation Inhibitors
# Rust Inhibitors

A polymer is just like plastic which is derived from crude oil. Synthetic oil cannot be made with out crude oil or an oil derivitive."

banghead.gif

lol.gif

Just before that appears to be pieces that were copied and pasted from "More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Motor Oil."

"OK, here's some info on why not to use 10W40 or 5W40 oils. To get the broad viscosity range, more viscosity index improvers (polymers) are needed to be added to the blend. The polymers can shear and burn forming deposits that can cause ring sticking and other problems. Also, the polymers tend to viscosity and thermal breakdown. What happens is that you lose the higher temperature viscosity performance and the oil thins out too much under heat.

This does not apply to a lot of synthetics since they use no or very little viscosity improvers. But even for synthetics you should chose the narrowest viscosity range oil that suits your operating conditions with the least amount of viscosity improvers."

That was me in that thread trying to tell the guy that it is OK to run 5w40 or 10w40 in his engine. Some people didn't like that too much though.

Sounded like some guys chatting there are better informed than, say, 5 years ago! Maybe BITOG IS having a spillover effect.........

quote:

Grab a quart bottle of each off the shelf and shake them, the 10-30 is noticeably thicker.

lol.gif
I'll think I'll hire this guy when I want my viscosity checked
worshippy.gif
fruit.gif
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back