Why are quick-struts more profitable for shops?

Read that in a trade magazine but not clear why? Don't shops make more money on labor then they do on the markup on parts? If it takes 2 hours of labor to replace 2 quick struts vs. 3 hours replacing just the strut cartridges, isn't 3 hours labor more money that 2 hours plus a little more on the parts markup of the quick-struts? Labor is pure profit around $120/hour while parts profit is maybe 20 or 30 percent.

The guys I use once in a while charge 100% markup on parts. If they pay $50 for something, you pay $100. Ad their $105 an hour labor charge, gives them enough time to figure out how to do the job, if they never did it before, and still make money. As far as replacing just the cartridge's, you will have a new shock with springs that have to be getting weak by 100k or so miles on them. When I did my struts, the rear springs were rusty and broken.

Quick struts are usually just a few easily accessible bolts, slap new struts in, do an alignment, done.

If you don't replace the entire assembly you're going to run into situations where you have to wait on parts like isolators, springs, strut mounts, etc. to come in. If parts take more than a few hours you either have to spend the time to reassemble the junk strut and put it back on the car to get the car off the lift and basically do the job twice or just let the car take up a lift for a day or more.

Read that in a trade magazine but not clear why? Don't shops make more money on labor then they do on the markup on parts? If it takes 2 hours of labor to replace 2 quick struts vs. 3 hours replacing just the strut cartridges, isn't 3 hours labor more money that 2 hours plus a little more on the parts markup of the quick-struts? Labor is pure profit around $120/hour while parts profit is maybe 20 or 30 percent.
Labor isn't pure profit. The shop has to pay the worker. If the shop has a junior employee change out the quick struts but needs a senior person to remove the springs and reinstall that cuts into the shop's labor profit.

Each job is different and there are several factors that determine what is best for the customer and profitable for the shop. Simple as that. At least with honest shops? As for parts pricing I also think it is funny how shops are always scrutinized and criticized about how they mark them up.
Seriously you need to be good at math and can do basic math in your head on the fly at times to help a customer with what they should be getting serviced and still protect all aspects of your business. I purchase from at least 20 warehouse distributors and 5 are retail/wholesale suppliers that technically I compete with retail pricing of parts. There is no one set standard price or markup that works on all parts day in and day out. The biggest reasoning for a higher price on parts at shops has to do with what the warranty is regarding the replacement of failed parts while still under their warranty and the shops labor guarantee?

The labor rate is generally determined from a "flat rate guide" , and at least in my shop I don't support any service done by my mechanic's or technicians that are in a hurry to get to the next job. A good service manager and shop manager can still make daily profits without sacrificing quality work.
Unfortunately in this business model to many shops don't think like I do.

I am sorry how does one determine a poor quality part? Please explain, not trying to place anyone on the spot , but this comes up on every forum no matter what the subject material? In this case "struts" ?
Suspension component's generally no matter where they are manufacture are at least OEM equivalent. I have never read any report or warning from periodicals like Counterman Magazine warning of any specific suspension parts from any one manufacture regarding a quality issue. This is not to say that I have read everything available, but I tend to keep up on important information concerning what I make a living doing?

The choice of parts used regarding who the manufacture is can have to do with who the supplier or distributor is. I would not purchase from anyone unless they were at least an authorized seller of the product from the manufacture or authorized distributor of the product.

At work we have this sketchy looking spring compressor that’s on a cart that rolls around lol. It would scare me to use it. I haven’t seen any springs or struts or anything be installed since I’ve worked here but I’m sure it’s been done sometimes. I’m glad for what I’ve learned here because in school my teacher taught us that the quick struts were far superior to any springs or shocks you would get alone. I think he said that just because he didn’t want to have to compress springs. Also we are hourly so labor wouldn’t really matter everyone is hourly. I’d say they are probably more profitable for flat rate shops since you just slap them on it does save a lot of time.

LOL ya let me tell you those spring compressors are fricken scary to use. :oops: You can not have your cell phone with you in case you get a notification, absolute attention must be on the job of swapping out springs!

editmmmm.jpg

How do you determine poor quality?. That's too easy to answer, go online and read reviews of that products performance. How would a "counterman" be able to determine the quality of a part? Someone hands them money, and he in return hands them a part. No authority there. And mfgrs buy bulk parts in bulk from whoever gives them the best price. Again no mystery there. And if you asked them they probably couldn't tell you honestly where the part in question came from. Especially on a car a few years old. So raising your right hand and swearing to only sell a certain brand of part, somehow improves the quality of any given part?. I haven't seen a box for a replacement part in a very long time that states the part was made in the USA. Maybe the box was made here, but that's about it.,,

BigCahuna

I clearly said Counterman Magazine.

And you do realize reviews from consumers are like generally not fact based? But not to debate that please re-read what I posted about suspension parts again.

Here you go a part I just ordered for myself over the week end.
https://www.powerbastards.com/default.asp
Please note:
100% Brand New! Made in the USA! - We don't require a core charge because all of our inventory is 100% Brand New.

Last edited:
How do you determine poor quality?. That's too easy to answer, go online and read reviews of that products performance.
How many mechanics / technicians who install parts on a daily basis, 5 days a week, write reviews for the parts they buy ? Reviews are written by end-users 99% of the time and always have to be taken with a grain of salt.

We don’t get quick struts here, so we just advise the customer and replace what’s needed.

On the quality of parts subject you can see a clear difference between a sachs, bilstien or lemforder suspension part to a circle line, top line, ”insert any other low priced rubbish brand here”. Quality of bushes, size of ball joints, physical quality of the casting of aluminium arms. Welding quality on steel parts. I’ve seen cheap arms been shorter than the genuine ones that came off And change the camber.

LOL ya let me tell you those spring compressors are fricken scary to use. :oops: You can not have your cell phone with you in case you get a notification, absolute attention must be on the job of swapping out springs!

Not scary at all if one has the proper tool.

Attachments

• IMG_2030.JPG
    IMG_2030.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 47

DougR

It was more or less a joke directed for at another member ... you know "JOKE" a story with a humorous ending.... ;) Did you look carefully at my picture? The spring compressors are at least 30 years old and NIB! Buuuuuut ... we all did use them back in the day o_OLOL
Also even the ones you posted (nice quality btw) and what we use in the shop (nice but not as pretty as yours) can still be dangerous, I would not personally down play compressing any vehicle coil spring even none automotive related things.

Also, the sooner they can get the job done, the sooner they can work on the next car in the queue.
OK but if the flat rate pays 3 hours on a regular strut job vs. 2 hours with quick-struts, what difference does that make if you're maximizing profit on the car your working on now? Wouldn't you wan't a job that pays 3 hours over ones that pay 2?

Back