Why are people Pretentious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The whole success of the auto industry is probably based on people being pretentious, isn't it? Get them to go for the blinged out super scooper instead of the plain.

Exactly!

How many commercials are about what you deserve?

Few discuss the technical merits of the car.

Most car makers are selling access to an experience or lifestyle. They have easy financing or lease programs so you too can have the experience they are selling.

It wasn't ALWAYS that way decades ago. The biggest sellouts to that "lifestyle" [censored] (I despise that darn marketing term) is BMW.
Go back to the early 90s and before and they truly were an engineers' company which actually designed their product for people who not only enjoyed and appreciate excellent handling and well engineered vehicles, but customers who understood the technical elements of what they were buying. Today BMW is a joke for the most part and concentrate on selling to the consumer that mainly sees value in that badge. A crying shame. Mercedes is in the same boat too today, although I think they are trying to reverse course, but I am not sure they can succeed.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

It wasn't ALWAYS that way decades ago. The biggest sellouts to that "lifestyle" [censored] (I despise that darn marketing term) is BMW.
Go back to the early 90s and before and they truly were an engineers' company which actually designed their product for people who not only enjoyed and appreciate excellent handling and well engineered vehicles, but customers who understood the technical elements of what they were buying.

I agree; today 99% of BMW customers are "wearers" as opposed to "drivers." The current Fxx BMWs are for the most part nothing more than gadget-laden cruisers with anesthetized steering and brakes- or, as a recent Road and Track article put it, they are "more Buick than Bimmer." I've owned nine BMWs since 1983 and I'm virtually certain I will never own one newer than my wife's E90.

Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
...She went on and on about the MB dealership and how she only gets her oil changed at a MB dealership.

Disappointing she doesn't have her staff see to it that such trivial matters are taken care of without fuss.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

I agree; today 99% of BMW customers are "wearers" as opposed to "drivers." The current Fxx BMWs are for the most part nothing more than gadget-laden cruisers with anesthetized steering and brakes- or, as a recent Road and Track article put it, they are "more Buick than Bimmer." I've owned nine BMWs since 1983 and I'm virtually certain I will never own one newer than my wife's E90.

I understand that they want to seek out more profits, but why would they forego their entire enthusiast base ...They should at least provide one old school model that is built high quality but without all the trinkets (and over engineered plastic parts) that recalls the E 30, and keep the price reasonable, their loyal old school customers will line up in droves to buy what makes a BMW....a REAL BMW.

Last edited:
Many BMW drivers of today don't want a car with performance, they NEED the good sexy good looks and styling.

If you want driving dynamics, buy a 911 Carerra with manual transmission.

They still make performance versions of BMW the few buy in m line. The balance of folks could absolutely care less and never had hence BMW producing what they have, nice cars.

BMW sales are plenty strong.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The whole success of the auto industry is probably based on people being pretentious, isn't it? Get them to go for the blinged out super scooper instead of the plain.

Exactly!

How many commercials are about what you deserve?

Few discuss the technical merits of the car.

Most car makers are selling access to an experience or lifestyle. They have easy financing or lease programs so you too can have the experience they are selling.

Go back to the early 90s and before and they truly were an engineers' company which actually designed their product for people who not only enjoyed and appreciate excellent handling and well engineered vehicles, but customers who understood the technical elements of what they were buying. Today BMW is a joke for the most part and concentrate on selling to the consumer that mainly sees value in that badge. A crying shame. Mercedes is in the same boat too today, although I think they are trying to reverse course, but I am not sure they can succeed.

Lexus ruined the industry, they undersold the LS400 and screwed everyone. Before Mercedes used to build the best cars possible than price them, after that they had to switch to a price point to compete. Hence the W220 and ML...

Leasing also ruined the industry. Before you had to have money to buy lets say a 560SEL brand new, since it cost as much as a half way decent house the owners tended to hold onto them for a long time. It was not uncommon for them to stay in the family for a decade or two. As a result the cars were built like aircraft with servicing and repair in mind.

Now with leasing cars are built to last 36 months, and be sold off. As a result they are full of gadgets which I am sorry do not equal quality and luxury, and stupid engineering like plastic electric driven water pumps. BMW is the king of leasing and their business model is to sell each car twice. Lease to the first owner for 24-36 months, than CPO to the next guy.

For example you can lease an S550 for 36 months for around $1100 a month +/-. Buying the same car over 36 months would cost you around $3k.

I would buy a 1980's M6 before a brand new one, and in 5 years the old M6 will be worth more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

I would buy a 1980's M6 before a brand new one, and in 5 years the old M6 will be worth more.

Thanks for reminding me that I stupidly sold my 1988 M6 20 years ago...
mad.gif

1988%20M6_zps8eqzhjr8.jpg

I lust after a BMW 840 or an 850 coupe once in a while...
Too old though... will have to devote a LOT of time and $$ to keep an 8 series in good shape...
What a classic simple looking car though...

a001b-7.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zach1900
What's so pretentious about that?

Wow that's excruciating.

Have you seen the titles of her other videos? I detect a theme.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Originally Posted By: zach1900
What's so pretentious about that?

Wow that's excruciating.

Have you seen the titles of her other videos? I detect a theme.

I agree with her,people that are pretentious are all about "Hey look at me look at me!!". They're always attention whores,always want to be "seen", always want to be the center of attention,and always want to be noticed. She's right,if you totally blow them off it drives them crazy haha!

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I lust after a BMW 840 or an 850 coupe once in a while...
Too old though... will have to devote a LOT of time and $$ to keep an 8 series in good shape...
What a classic simple looking car though...

a001b-7.jpg

You drive with the seat reclined that much?

The BMW is a fine machine but as I say it says the wrong thing for me. Could you imagine the Apollo astronauts driving German cars.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Could you imagine the Apollo astronauts driving German cars.

Now you tell me. And here I thought I could still become an astronaut after I retire. I guess I'll have to settle for astronut.

I wonder what Wernher von Braun drove?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

The BMW is a fine machine but as I say it says the wrong thing for me. Could you imagine the Apollo astronauts driving German cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I came across a few women that were gossipy and kept talking about pretentious things, like one got her oil change at a Mercedes dealer.... She went on and on about the MB dealership and how she only gets her oil changed at a MB dealership.

Why do some people have to pretend that they're above everyone else. I could careless about her stupid oil change at a MB stealership.

I would suggest you don't listen to other people's conversations and then you won't be bothered about things that are really none of your business. Who cares where she gets her oil changed? Maybe she went on and on about it because the place did a good job and she is happy with them.

Exactly. Our local Mercedes dealership is wonderfully nice inside. A beautiful waiting area, fresh coffee via a Keurig or Tassimo, everything is spotlessly clean.

It echoes my experience at one of the BMW dealers (which I won't go to again because they raped me on my clutch job). The waiting room had gorgeous leather seating, a Tassimo with a huge selection of coffees to choose from, some fresh snacks, great background music and you could get up and check out the latest X6M or X5, 5-series....etc. The atmosphere was nothing like a quick Lube, Canadian Tire, or any other non-Euro dealer I've been to.

Of note: The cost of an oil change at either of those locations was not extravagant. And the service bays looked like hospital OR's.

My last trip to a BMW dealer echos yours, (except for the clutch part. The convertible top motor........ don't want to talk about that
smile.gif
) They even bought me lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back