Why are OCIs so much longer in Europe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Why do Europeans do any of the foolish things they do?

Such as starting a world war every now and then, create the euro, tax themselves into oblivion, lend money to bankrupt Mediterranean nations or not use underarm deodorant?
12.gif

Rock:
We do some 'foolish' things ourselves....like give barrels of money to other countries while our own country falls apart...

But those are only the the people who want to be like Europeons

Such as starting a world war every now and then, create the euro, lend money to bankrupt Mediterranean nations or not use underarm deodorant?
12.gif

There's no evidence that 20,000 mile OCI in Europe is foolish - but that OCI is dependent on the appropriate specification of oil being used.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Such as starting a world war every now and then, create the euro, tax themselves into oblivion, lend money to bankrupt Mediterranean nations or not use underarm deodorant?
12.gif

Rock:
We do some 'foolish' things ourselves....like give barrels of money to other countries while our own country falls apart...

Yep, we're following right behind the Europeans on all their failed polices and
ideas.

Except body odor, but we'll get there on that one too once amnesty is rammed through and/or a law is passed banning the effective ingredient in deodorant.

Originally Posted By: shDK

and sorry but it.s foolish to talk about prices on lubricants in europe as one pricelevel. If i remember right. There are 27 countryes in the eu. They all have different price levels.

Yes and ALL of the member countries in the EU are significantly more expensive than NA..... Been to Europe too many times to count.

http://www.energy.eu/

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Originally Posted By: zloveraz

+1
01.gif

You pay $9.00 for a gallon of gas or $21.73 for a liter of Edge 5W30 it will change your perspective quickly... The manufacturer's use the extended OCI has a selling tool.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-Edge-5W-...strol+edge+5w30

Depends on where do you shop from country to country. In my neck of woods a 5L jug of Edge 5-30 will set you back $57 after they rape you with the 24% sale tax...auch
frown.gif

Yep I was just showing a good deal on Amazon, I know that isn't the norm as I'm in Germany a few times a year.

Originally Posted By: Ruperts_Trooper
it's normal on many modern engines for the manufacturer to specify 20,000 miles or 12 months as the OCI - I've seen some as high as 30,000 miles or 24 months.

Be carreful, kilometers are not miles...

The reason is marketing as the prices for car maintenance in Europe are very high compared to USA: all is expensive: hours in garage, oil, gas... So car manufacturers prefer to sell car with long OCI and which drink less gas.

100$ an hour or more is common in a garage with median salary of 15$ in Western Europe ... So the car buyer like cars which don't go often in garage...

I live in Sweden, but get my oil from Germany, and a lot of parts from USA.

Volvo parts are a good example: They are manufactured in Europe. But if I order them in USA, I pay them less than at my local Volvo dealer, despite two crossings of the Atlantic...

NGK iridium, 9$ on amazon.com, 20$ at my local dealer...

All is like that...

12.gif

Your lack of knowledge of history and current affairs is staggering.

Vietnam, Korea, Iraq.

AAA rated "junk" bonds sold to UK and European banks in what could only be described as an organised, pre planned financial fraud.

The bit about underarm deodorant just shows you up to be both ignorant and racist.

You are an insult to the forum and the rest of your country.

Kinda have to agree with bigjl on this one.
I don't know what kinda Europeans have you been hanging with Rock_Hudstone
smile.gif

Can only back up on big on this one.

Rock hudstone you sounds like a fool. Start a world war now and then? It.s bin 68 years since ww2 ended. And There still only have bin 2 world wars. So don.t know where your going with your every now and then.

We could ask why the americans alloved there financial sector to throw the world into the financial problem many countrys still figt with. Og the several times a year young people and even little kids are murdered in schools becouse it.s too easy for any given psycho to get his hands on weapons and ammonition.

And your question why we help south european countryes. Maybe becouse historry has learnt us what happens when powerty is getting out of hand.

This was not meant to hurt any other americans.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob

I guess it is because European Synthetic is a true Group-IV or V Synthetic.

I guess their oil is better than ours.

Wrong. Not all synthetic european oils are Group IV or V. Only in Germany and Austria fully synthetic must be grp IV / V. For example Mobil 1 is SHC Synthetic in Germany, but in the rest of europe it's called fully synthetic.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

12.gif

Vietnam, Korea, Iraq.

AAA rated "junk" bonds sold to UK and European banks in what could only be described as an organised, pre planned financial fraud.

The bit about underarm deodorant just shows you up to be both ignorant and racist.

I didn't claim the U.S. hasn't done similar things and worse, quite the contrary.

However, staggering is good word to describe the B.O. of some Europeans I've encountered.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: bigjl

12.gif

Vietnam, Korea, Iraq.

I didn't claim the U.S. hasn't done similar things and worse, quite the contrary.

However, staggering is good word to describe the B.O. of some Europeans I've encountered.
laugh.gif

Your boring me now.

Originally Posted By: Ruperts_Trooper
In Europe, it's normal on many modern engines for the manufacturer to specify 20,000 miles or 12 months as the OCI - I've seen some as high as 30,000 miles or 24 months. It's common for petrolheads to change at half the recommended interval, just as it is in North America, but in Europe we start from a much longer interval.

My own Hyundai 2.2 turbo-diesel in Europe has 20,000 miles / 24 months OCI but the otherwise identical 2.0 turbo-petrol engined car in North America has OCIs of 3,000-5,000 miles depending on which dealer is asked. I contend that, all things being equal, the oil in a turbo-diesel has a harder life than in a turbo-petrol.

Demands for minimal scheduled servicing from fleet buyers in Europe only applies for the first 3 years as most fleets are changed then.

Although oil specifications differ between Europe and North America, there's no suggestion of a difference in "quality" with many oil manufacturers selling all round the world.

So is this just a huge myth put about and perpetuated by North American workshops, intent on maximising turnover ?

I think you are wrong first able in Europe all in km so 20,000 is about 12,000 miles which is most German manufacture recommended to do between 10,000 to 15,000 miles.
Also people don't drive so much miles/km per as US. The traffic is lighter so less time sitting at idle and weather is much cooler and less humidity avg then US. So the oil properties last longer.
Just as example VW TDi recommend to every 10,000 miles but after oil analysis was done TBN was 0. So oil didn't survived 10,000 miles maybe due oil maybe diesel fuel maybe it all drives by environmentals to safe a planet by in the end it cost to us.

Originally Posted By: phlfly

I think you are wrong first able in Europe all in km so 20,000 is about 12,000 miles which is most German manufacture recommended to do between 10,000 to 15,000 miles.
Also people don't drive so much miles/km per as US. The traffic is lighter so less time sitting at idle and weather is much cooler and less humidity avg then US. So the oil properties last longer.
Just as example VW TDi recommend to every 10,000 miles but after oil analysis was done TBN was 0. So oil didn't survived 10,000 miles maybe due oil maybe diesel fuel maybe it all drives by environmentals to safe a planet by in the end it cost to us.

Ever been to southern Europe ?
There are countries there called Spain, Portugal, southern Italy, Greece where it's at least as hot in Summer as the southern US states.

Or how about all the Euro cars that are sold all around the world and spec the same service schedules (when ULSD is available) such as here in Australia ?

ULSD needs to be Having said that I regularly took a Japanese IDI TD engine past 20,000km easily ten years ago and we were only beginning to transition to 50ppm sulphur diesel from 500ppm sulphur diesel.
TBN and wear metals were fine but sulphated ash levels were significantly higher too. Swings and merry-go-rounds really.

Trucks can go 100,000km between OCI's and have been doing that for well over a decade with premium syn HDEO's, and it's still normal practice with low SAPS oils.
Yes, they have huge sumps and with 'normal' oil consumption additive levels are topped off with makeup oil, but still.....

Unless the majority of trips of are less than 15-20km or the majority of run time time is spent idling, 3000mile/5000km OCI's are a waste.

Originally Posted By: tdi-rick

Ever been to southern Europe ?
There are countries there called Spain, Portugal, southern Italy, Greece where it's at least as hot in Summer as the southern US states.

Or how about all the Euro cars that are sold all around the world and spec the same service schedules (when ULSD is available) such as here in Australia ?

ULSD needs to be Having said that I regularly took a Japanese IDI TD engine past 20,000km easily ten years ago and we were only beginning to transition to 50ppm sulphur diesel from 500ppm sulphur diesel.
TBN and wear metals were fine but sulphated ash levels were significantly higher too. Swings and merry-go-rounds really.

Trucks can go 100,000km between OCI's and have been doing that for well over a decade with premium syn HDEO's, and it's still normal practice with low SAPS oils.
Yes, they have huge sumps and with 'normal' oil consumption additive levels are topped off with makeup oil, but still.....

Unless the majority of trips of are less than 15-20km or the majority of run time time is spent idling, 3000mile/5000km OCI's are a waste.

All list of countries is nothing even close to weather in US during summer most state from NY to Florida and all cross and down to south expect pacific state ( cal, Oregon, was) the temp is 90F + add to 50 to 90 % humidity so feels like 100+ F . It's continue from end May to mid October.

Also I don't suggest OCI w should 3,000 miles I would say if its 100% synthetic then 5,000 to 7,000 miles most. Also you need look oil capacity at each individual car maker, like BMW has about 8 qt on each model, but Japanies is about only 5 qt so I don't think oil will have same good result between those cars after same time in the service.

Last edited:
I contend that driving in the summer is easier on oil.

EU has less sulphur to deal with and are permitted to burn lean under their emissions regulations both factors help aid oil longevity. Their oil specifications are also more stringent on the whole.

... the temp is 90F + add to 50 to 90 % humidity so feels like 100+ F ...
Lol, cars don't sweat to cool off so don't care about humidity.

Really don't bother to find any technical raisons of long OCI: the reason is simply prices of maintenance, especially the price of labor... Just open any european newspaper now, and you will see it is the major problem in europe now...

If you have to work 10 hours to pay 1 hour of labor in garage, you will not buy a car which need to go on maintenance every 3 months...

As people considere also a car must be replaced after 5 years, and run 15 000 km/year for gasoline, and 25 000 km/year for diesel, it is only 60 000 or 125 000 km.

So it is easy to have 20 000 km OCI to just go to those mileage without problem whith any synthetic oil...

The purpose is not to get the minimum wear to go to 1 000 000 miles, but just to go max to 200 000 km with no breakdown and accetable wear with a minimum of maintenance.

But if you read european cars forums, you will see that people who like cars do OCI every 10 000 km, not more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back