Why are auto comp. not requiring syn for Turbos

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Hi all,

Why is it that many auto manufacturers do not require synthetic oil for thier Turbo vehicles?

Ford EcoBoost
3.5L V6 EcoBoostTM engine
Use SAE 5W-30 engine oil
Only use oils “Certified For Gasoline Engines” by the American Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms
to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

To protect your engine and engine’s warranty, use Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 or an equivalent SAE 5W-30 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C929-A. Refer to Maintenance product specifications and capacities later in this section for more information.

2010 Mitubishi Ralliart and some say, even the Evo
No manual information found but this was my last car and it never specified Syn either

Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T
For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil
of a viscosity grade SAE 5W-30 (API SM / ILSAC GF-4). However,
if the engine oil is not available in your country, select the proper
engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart. (10w30 or 5w30)

To name a few...

Are conventionals that good now-a-days? I do know that the SN rating points out 'for turbo protection' but are the formulations/additives that good to protect for 3-5k miles? Thier engineers seem to think so i guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Are conventionals that good now-a-days?

I think that's part of it.

Besides, most manufacturers don't specifically mandate synthetics. They mandate that the oil meet a particular spec, and if an oil manufacturer can meet this spec with a mineral oil, so be it.

With that said, the API SM spec that Hyundai calls for isn't particularly stringent. Not sure about Ford's M2C929A.

Diesels have been using conventional practically for ever. Not uncommon to have a diesel engine making 80 plus percent of its power for a very long time at 30psi boost or more.

Last edited:
The turbos on those new cars are probably so small and whimpy that they won't hurt the oil at all.

API SN/ILSAC GF5 are spec'd for turbo applications. The Term "Synthetic" is ABSOLUTELY meaningless in the current market. Most all major synthetic are NOT synthetic - just advertised as such and, NO they do NOT perform as well as a good tradition IV/V blend. Some here will say good enough - I wont.

There are no "conventional" spec PCMO for the American market they are all pseudo-synthetic grII/III. There is no Conventional vs Synthetic argument - Just levels of Premium hydrotreated/ cat dewaxed mineral (dino) oil and slack paraffins.

I would only run a high spec/ high approval euro (Deutsch Motoröl) oil

Last edited:
IMO:
- "Conventional" oils are getting better
- Turbos are cooled by coolant now, oil is mainly for lubrication
- Lower cost of ownership ($30 at a quick lube shop vs $80)

Mobil Super meets the 5w-30 spec for 3.5, 2.0 EB engines and Mobil SUper meets the 5w-20 spec for the 1.5 , 1.6 EB engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The Term "Synthetic" is ABSOLUTELY meaningless

Yup. "Synthetic" is not a spec. Never was. ILSAC GF5 is a spec. Ford M2C929A is a spec. GM Dexos is a spec. MB 229.5 is a spec.

Exactly. If the manufacturer tests a Ford M2C929A oil and finds that it lasts ... it doesn't matter what type of oil it is. If it meets that spec, it will work.

Last edited:
If it has been covered today yet, I'll do so.

Synthetics have two benefits IMO:

- you can run them longer before they self destruct
- they typically clean better due to higher detergents

Both these benefits can be negated by using regular oil with a reasonable OCI.

Cost then becomes the main argument between the two....

At $15 per oil change with my new stash of VWB, the cost argument goes out the window.

Then we move on to waste... and I can't argue with that one.

Originally Posted By: webfors

Wouldn't this depend more on the add pack rather than the base? What's stopping one from having a strong detergent pack in a mineral oil?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Wouldn't this depend more on the add pack rather than the base? What's stopping one from having a strong detergent pack in a mineral oil?

Nothing but cost IMO

If the recently released Pennzoil Synthetic Blend 5w-30 (Dexos approved) is good enough for a new Corvette... then it is good enough for everything that I'll be using it in.

Looks like I wont be buying any more Pennzoil Platinum.

The science and engineering has improved over the years to allow better quality control, which is why conventional today is much better than conventional from decades ago.

My 2.5 L BMW Z3 (2001 non-turbo), and my 2000 Twin Turbo Quattro 2000 A6 both recommend that I run on high performance synthetic. And yes, conventional oil has improved since those vehicles were designed. I change out my Mobil 1 0W-40 once a year on the Audi and once every 2 years on the less frequently used BMW. Motors are clean as a whistle, inside.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Nothing but cost IMO

My point was that there are HDEO mineral oils out there with rather strong detergent packs, too.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
If the recently released Pennzoil Synthetic Blend 5w-30 (Dexos approved) is good enough for a new Corvette... then it is good enough for everything that I'll be using it in.

Looks like I wont be buying any more Pennzoil Platinum.

Excellent point!

I had a Chrysler 2.2 Turbo from the mid 80's. I think it just called for 5w30 and I never really put synthetic in it. Got it at 100k and it had a replacement engine. That one had bearing problems which may have been from someone at the shop over revving the engine and I replaced the engine also, then it died again around 150k when the head gasket went. Previous owner put in an aftermarket computer too so it had more boost.

If we hold our discussion to gasoline engines.

GM in a way is requiring synthetic oil for turbo cars. With GM's new dexos1 certification, the only oils that are dexos1 certified are synthetic blend and full synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back