Why are amsoils Bypass set ups so dang expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoils bypass filter set up are like 200 regular and 150 preferred customer. I see perma cool offers a dual filter set up for the neighborhood of 50 bucks! what is so great with the amsoils?

You must be talking about the dual bypass. Not exactly mass produced combined with Al's kept margin. The mount is machined out of a homogeneous plate, which a valve inside, etc.

You really aren't comparing apples to apples. The Perma cool is cast in China, pot metal piece from the same mold that produces thousands (millions?) for a whole bunch of other companies. It truly is a crappier piece. Besides, it's not a bypass filter.

well could you elaborate more on the technical differences between a "duel filter setup" by perma cool and the Amsoil "duel Bypass" setup by Amsoil? I thought that normal filters have a bypass valve that opens if the media gets clogged? or dont they? Where is Amsoils cast/milled and put together at?

Your confusing a bypass valve and a bypass filter. A bypass filter is a sub-micronoic filter that generally only filters about 10% of the oil each pass through the engine. It keeps the oil cleaner longer which makes super long oil change intervals possible. The Amsoil dual remote bypass mount combines a full flow filter and a bypass filter onto one mount. It's a convenient setup for most people compared to rigging up a stand-alone bypass filter.

Anyways, I own several of these and they are very high quality. CNC machined from a solid block of aluminum and the fittings and hoses are top notch. But if your just looking to have 2 full flow filters(no bypass filter) on your car, then the cheaper Permacool mounts might be the way to go.

Olympic did a fine job of explaining. As I said it's not a fair comparison.

A remote dual full flow FILTER mount is the same set up as all cars with a single full flow oil filter have - except you are adapting and running oil via a cast piece and hoses over to a selected location where the dual filter mount (cast) with two regular oil filters with or without bypass VALVES are located. This would be the same regardless if a bypass VALVE was internal to the engine or the filter.

A single (or even dual) true bypass FILTER can be mounted anywhere as well as any remote filter (of any type) but has the advantage of not messing with oil pressure and/or the regular oil flow through the full flow filter. I like them because you can "tap into" into any oil pressure source and return the ultra filtered oil to any lower or no oil pressure zone, such as the valve/cam cover or oil pan.

Lastly - the unit you are complaining about (Amsoil Dual Remote) the cost of - is a combo unit as Olympic says. As a side note there were many arguments about how well the internal valve works, pressure drops,etc - folks without basic knowledge of flow dynamics and the internal construction may have been lost.

They aren't as expensive if you look at the alternatives for a spin-on bypass filter. You can get Donalson bypass filters in a spin-on ..as well as others. They aren't as good a filter ..and won't do the same job ..but they're better then a stand alone ff setup ...so..you go an look at a site that sells the mount ..now you're looking at $50+ for the mount ...and whatever the filter costs ..and then you've got to plumb it (varies on how "trick" you want it be) ...add S&H ..and by the time you're done ..you've saved about $10-20 (maybe) ..but you'll feel better (and have an inferior piece).

My main objection to the Amsoil bypass deal is the double whammy. They should (IMHO) make one a faciliator of the other. I think that they have far fewer sales of bypass filters ..since no one wants to ante up to the cost of the mounts. If they just gave the mounts away at cost ..then more filter sales would occur by more units being in service...or do it the other way around. Yank all you're profit on the mount and leave the dealer with a "maintenance" residual on the filter sales. Sorta like the way inkjet printers or cell phones are regarded. The cost of the facilitator is minor compared to the residual sales
dunno.gif

Well I was looking at them because the filter is such a pain in the rear to get to on my truck. You need to take off two skidplates to get to it. I am not "complaining" I just wanted someone to explain the difference between the two.
If you are doing alot of short trips per day and stop/go traffic would a the bypass setup help or would you still need to change the oil out sooner because of severe service?

Yep, bypass filters don't help extend oil life much under severe conditions. The oil will stay clean but it will still break down due to oxidation/nitration and need to be changed.

It sounds like you just want to relocate your full-flow filter to a more convenient location. There's plenty of kits to do that, like the Amsoil BMK14 or less expensive alternatives like Permacool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back