Why am I getting the best gas mileage ever with the German Castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No flame intended but thats why scientific tests are done double blind.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MinnesotaNole:
1994 Honda Accord EX (aprox. 97 K)

I'm getting nearly 3 mpg better with the German Castrol than with Mobil 1. Why would this happen with an oil that's not energy-conserving? The German is 12.1 at 100C. You would think a thick 30 wt. oil like this would reduce gas mileage in a 4 cyl Honda Accord. The weather has been significantly colder with the German Castrol as well. You would think the colder temps. would reduce gas mileage like normal.

...because it is WONDERFUL stuff!
grin.gif

Here is my theory on this. Your oil temps are probably running well under 100C. The stuff is probably thinner than what you were using before at your actual operating oil temp. Do you have the 40C viscosity figures for comparison?

My question is what grade of M-1 were you using to compare? Most of the fuel savings are found during warm-up at temps. below 40F when a 0 weight will be thinner than a 5, 10 or 15W.

Otherwise, it confirms what I've said before. It's not exclusively the viscosity that accounts for fuel economy as a result of a differing lubricant. ie. the quality of the oil collectively with it's addative package. In other words, it may be a better lubricant (more slippery) and/or cleaned things out such as to allow for more effective mobility of the machined parts.

I still believe that a lot of members on this board have let Castrol's marketing approach and the "old switcheroo" they did with Syntec infect their opinion of the product itself. Maybe insufficient credit is being given for the technology Castrol applies to their formulations and the capabilities of the final product, which causes people to miss the fact that Castrol oils can produce some outstanding results. For example, I hear members say that there are some excellent UOAs with GTX, and we have also seen solid ones with GC. Doug Hillary, in Oz has mentioned that Castrol RX is an excellent oil. So why do so many people appear to assume that if we're talking about Castrol, we can't possibly have anything GOOD to say or there has GOT to be some other explanation than that the oil has got some special qualities?

[ October 02, 2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Well, if it's getting colder, the air is denser, allowing for more air to get into the combustion chamber. More air equals more power, more power from a given amount of fuel roughly translates into better mileage. It's like why the top of the line engines with turbo charges use intercoolers. More power for the punch.

Hi,
Pscholte - yes I agree with your comments. I have just mentioned SLX on another thread here, and only concerning an Administrator's comments

Castrol do make great products - BP's marketing of Castrol is the big problem here in Australia

I have used Castrol R 10w-60 ( in the 1970s 10w-50 ) since the late 1970's. A truely great petrol and high speed light diesel oil.
In both petrol and diesel applications "R" always produced excellent wear and oil durability qualities. And it showed up in component durability and long life

RX Super and their gear oils are a user's delight. RX Super kept my diesel engines clean for up to twice the recommended drain periods - consistently over some years - and was changed only after any UOA showed an unacceptable viscosity gain. I would still be using their diesel oils if they had made a fully synthetic heavy diesel oil (CH-4) four or five years ago.

Castrol's gear oils (50E and Syntrax 75w-90) and ATF Transmax Z are in many of my vehicles - thank goodness, top stuff

Their new "R" range now available here 0W-40 and 10w-30 will be great products too if only BP allows them to market and sell!

If I was not trying to minimise my oil inventory Castrol R 0w-40 would be in my Porsche, BMW Z3 and Subaru Outback

Regards

I agree w/ Schmoe. I notice a significant improvement in power in the "wintertime" here in Phoenix area. When I have the A/C on at 115* I notice a power drop over A/C on at 95*. I love cooler temps as it make the truck feel so much peppier. Believe me...115*+ abosolutely kills power. Combining the two factors (if you've had a downturn in temps, changed to 0w30, and you've not changed your driving habits) I could see this happening.

No flame intended but thats why scientific tests are done double blind

Sure!
shocked.gif

Same car, same engine, same driver, same time, same weather, same driving technique, same route, two different oils at the same time........
grin.gif

The stuff is a-ok. Get over it
wink.gif

[ October 02, 2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

quote:

Originally posted by MinnesotaNole:
... The weather has been significantly colder with the German Castrol as well. ...

Mon Dieu! Could extensive use of EC actually reverse the effects of global warming??! Consider the ramifications if everyone in the Soutwest US used this stuff from June-September! Maybe that's why it's being pulled from dealers' shelves in warmer climes!!? I believe a concerted investigation by members of The Oz Contingent is in order! They could reveal the greater truths being withheld from an ignorant population!

What does it all mean??!!

(Why does everything have an exclamation mark??!!)

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:
No flame intended but thats why scientific tests are done double blind

Sure!
shocked.gif

Same car, same engine, same driver, same time, same weather, same driving technique, same route, two different oils at the same time........
grin.gif

The stuff is a-ok. Get over it
wink.gif

The stuff probably is very good. We're having trouble accepting it's the elixer of the Gods though...
grin.gif

I vote for the cooler weather. Two things in play here, 1- no AC running, 2- denser/cooler air charge. Others have stated these reasons too. I have always felt SOTP power improvements in most all of my vehicles in the 60 degree weather. Seems that this keeps the engine in the just the right temp range along with more O2 in the cylinder due to the denser air charge. My B4000 feels like 10hp+ in this weather.

jsharp....Big ten-four on that. I'm just wondering when did this stuff become God-like? I mean, over time only a few oils were "kind of" praised. But all of a sudden KA-POW, everybody is praising this GC German version. I don't see what the big hoopla is all about. I mean, whassssup wit' dat?
grin.gif

Humidity is also a factor.

[ October 02, 2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

quote:

Big ten-four on that. I'm just wondering when did this stuff become God-like? I mean, over time only a few oils were "kind of" praised. But all of a sudden KA-POW, everybody is praising this GC German version. I don't see what the big hoopla is all about.

ditto.

While I would assume you are talking the same viscosity weight, I would need you to either say it or post it. As one can well imagine there may be things other than viscosity that affect gas mileage.

I had the Castrol OEM 5w-40 (I have to take VW's word for both the brand and viscosity) and ran it as the first 5k mile "break in oil" At 5k miles it was replaced with Mobil Delvac One 5w40 and there was literally no change. I was getting 45 to 51 mpg with the Castrol and continue to get the same with Delvac One.

In another example, I use Mobil One in a Z06 Corvette and over time there is an average of app 1 mpg MORE with 5w30 vs 10w30. (same brand)

Kind of off topic, but the reason I decided not to use the Castrol 5w40 Euro for the Diesel Jetta is the product is available for 7-9 dollars a quart here in the USA and is not very available on the open market. Delvac One 5w40 is also not very available on the open market but not as bad as Castrol AND goes for 5 dollars a qt. Factor in that Castrol is a group III and Delvac is a group IV, and you are getting a superior oil at less of a price. When you can run 10k oil and filter change intervals with Castrol and you can run up to 20,000 oil and filter change intervals with the Delvac One, the BANG for the BUCK becomes even MORE dramatic !

This is per mile lubricated of Castrol: $.0049 cents
(9x4 qts=36, 6.50 oil filter x2=13 36=+13=49/10,000= $.0049)

This is per mile lubricated of Delvac One: $.001325
(5x 4 qts=20. 6.50 oil filter, 20+6.50=26.50/20000= $.001325

73% really gets MY attention!
offtopic.gif

[ October 02, 2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
jsharp....I don't see what the big hoopla is all about.
grin.gif

I figure it is kind of like when the hula was introduced to the mainland. I suspect when that happened there was quite a bit of hula hoopla.
grin.gif

Put the oil (GC) in my mother's 2001 Honda Accord 4cyl towards the beginning of the Summer. Personally she couldn't care what I put in there, as long as I maintain it properly.

About a month into the interval she asks what I did, because the car is getting better gas mileage than she has ever had.

Not scientific to any degree. She noticed it, and I never told her about a change in oils.

Draw your own conclussions...

BTW- I have almost 9k miles (15,000 kms) on the oil and it's coming out soon. Unfortunatelly I have no money to pay for analysis. (sucks being an unemployed undergrad)

And I have another car, 2002 civic, with 9k on it as well. The oil will come out in the next two weeks or so.

Too bad, as we'd all benefit from these long term results...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back