Why all the Dislike for Chysler/Dodge/Jeep auto's

I have a 2020 Jeep GC 3.6 ....Ive owned a Dodge Journey a 2016 4 cyl that i gave to my brother....and a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 truck 4.7 v-8. plus other mopar cars back to high school ......first was a 73 plymouth Duster with a 318 4 brl
I get why do you buy junk cars ? Ive owned them for years and never had a lemon yet....and drove them to 155k miles ( 09 Ram)
Worst car was ive ever bought was 01 Honda Civic EX auto my wife had ....Engine blew at 65k.....trans at 80k.....oh and AC went out after she gave it to her daughter at 88k.....we were in a class action suit against Honda and took years to get 3800 bucks back....thats is all we got.
Ive never had a engine blow or trans crap out on any mopar auto ive owned...The worst thing i cant think of is the windshield wipers stopped working on the highway in a down pour in the Ram truck once...
Ive read were people have had problems but ive never had one yet....knock on wood.
Has anybody had any catastrophic event with a Mopar?

Last edited by a moderator:
No experience but I work closely with a co-worker who ends up doing out Zoom calls from Jeep dealer at 6 times in last 3 months for warranty repairs. Her 2020 Cherokee TrailHawk has required steering rack replacement amongst other stuff.

I live in a glass house owning a 2018 VW Tiguan, but in 75k has been trouble free.

Hate ? I actually love my Rubicon - had a flawless run 2013-2020 with a 3.6L Charger
Do I think FCA is as reliable as others ? Nope …
But I take care of my stuff and tend to not have issues even the GM bashers bring here …
BTW, set your timer for how long it takes a Mopar thread to become a GM basher …

I haven’t had good experience with the 2001 Cherokee considering the engine went at 108,000. I have heard nothing but bad from most modern Mopar owners but we have a lot of people that like them here. Personally I would not go near another one with a 10 foot pole. Everyone calls me bias but it’s just from my experience and when you know Mopar mechanics and salesman you would understand too. And since I started at the independent shop it has been our 3rd most worked on vehicle brand anything with a Mopar. 🍿. 🙂.

Last edited:
My wife complains her Neon was a piece of junk. 155k miles isn't a lot of miles. Why are you selling your vehicles so often?

My friend's father had a gold Duster with the slant 6. He drove it one speed. 45 mph. He's zoom down our little neighborhood streets at 45 and he'd be out on the interstate at 45 mph. We thought he was quite peculiar. Finally, it died and he bought a Chevy. Then he drove 25 mph in the neighborhood and 65 mph out on the interstate. All this time we blamed him for his peculiar driving habits but maybe it was the car only ran at 45 mph.

Well, a guy I know bought a new Jeep two months ago and it has broken down TWICE ( and it took over two weeks each time to fix each time ....not sure if related to Covid ) and he was stuck on the road. I do not know exactly what caused it to break down twice because he is too embarrassed to even tell what’s Wrong with it.

I have never had a car break down and leave me stranded , not once ( Toyota/Honda ).

My wife had a PT Cruiser when I first met her and it was nothing but problems.

I would never by Jeep or Chrysler based on what I have seen.

I tried so hard to like Jeeps. I bought two brand new JK Rubicons, one a two door and the other a four door. In both cases I had a lot of little nagging issues and I kept having to go back to the dealer. Kind of soured me on Chrysler products. By comparison, I've also owned two new Chevrolet trucks and a new Ford truck, and none of those three trucks ever had to go back to the dealer.

Small sample size but I can say my experience kind of matched the conventional wisdom - Chrysler makes snazzy junk.

I called Georgia and managed to find 4 more votes in favor of MOPAR.

I had 3 short wheelbase Caravans that provided excellent value and service. My current Patriot (oh my!) has been trouble free (knock on wood).

I have no alliance to any brand. Chrysler simply had the vehicles that met all my needs the best.

It's actually a great business model, sell crappy new cars so people have to keep coming back to the dealer, then while they are there waiting at the dealer for you to repair their crappy car they walk around the lot looking at all the pretty new cars on the lot and wind up trading in the junky car you sold them two years ago on another junky new car!

I have a 2020 Jeep GC 3.6 ....Ive owned a Dodge Journey a 2016 4 cyl that i gave to my brother....and a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 truck 4.7 v-8. plus other mopar cars back to high school ......first was a 73 plymouth Duster with a 318 4 brl
I get why do you buy junk cars ? Ive owned them for years and never had a lemon yet....and drove them to 155k miles ( 09 Ram)
Worst car was ive ever bought was 01 Honda Civic EX auto my wife had ....Engine blew at 65k.....trans at 80k.....oh and AC went out after she gave it to her daughter at 88k.....we were in a class action suit against Honda and took years to get 3800 bucks back....thats is all we got.
Ive never had a engine blow or trans crap out on any mopar auto ive owned...The worst thing i cant think of is the windshield wipers stopped working on the highway in a down pour in the Ram truck once...
Ive read were people have had problems but ive never had one yet....knock on wood.
Has anybody had any catastrophic event with a Mopar?
My new 77 power wagon had a short that created starting problems. Dealer couldn't fix but a local mechanic figured it out and it was good from there on. My 98 neon RT had the infamous Head gasket/oil leak that was common on these models. Dodge wouldn't cover it but the dealer that sold to me did. I have had three More since then with no issues.
Don't get me started with the GM Vehicles I have owned!!

Had a transmission issue with my 2015 Caravan at 88,xxx kms (54k miles). Had to change the torque converter. Was proactive changed some of the fluid and filter early, but it failed 6 months after warranty. I have done some towing with it and hauled shingles etc for home Reno's.

I'm a bit pissed, but I saved over 10k from buying a Sienna and it was zero percent interest for 5 years. So I'm farther off ahead payment wise. I think their is hate for FCA products because of some of these weaknesses in designs. Guy I know had a charger with the Hemi and had the valve seats fail and he had to pay over 5k to get the engine rebuilt. He couldn't walk away because he bought the car used and was still making payments on it.

Well, a guy I know bought a new Jeep two months ago and it has broken down TWICE ( and it took over two weeks each time to fix each time ....not sure if related to Covid ) and he was stuck on the road. I do not know exactly what caused it to break down twice because he is too embarrassed to even tell what’s Wrong with it.

I have never had a car break down and leave me stranded , not once ( Toyota/Honda ).

My wife had a PT Cruiser when I first met her and it was nothing but problems.

I would never by Jeep or Chrysler based on what I have seen.
Not too embarrassed to tell you he broke down, but too embarrassed to tell you what broke?

I think it's hit or miss. They cost less up front for a reason. If one gets lucky they are ahead--if not, the money saved can be spent on repairs, and with luck, still be ahead. I've thought the Pentastar, with 6AT FWD or 8AT RWD, by all accounts, was well received.

All makers have bad spells. It's just that, for Chrysler, it started in the Malaise era, and by all accounts, didn't stop until recently.

2001 Civic was junk, we had one, couldn't keep a/c in it, and it's the only vehicle that can rust out a CV axle that I've heard of.

Back