Why 10W30 never existed as a PCMO in Europe?

Except for a few HDEOs and 4 stroke oils. Inversely, why 15W40 never existed as a PCMO in North America? It has been one of the most popular grade here and still is to some extent. This is a mystery because 10W30 would have been perfect for our mild climate but over the decades the popular viscosities were 20W50, 15W40, 10W40, 5W40 and then 5W30.

Because our PCMO are dual rated for gas and diesel, and 15w-40 is a popular diesel viscosity. And that oil will be made from grp I base oil, I don't know if a 10W30 A3/B4 can be made from grp I, somehow doubt it.

20w50, 15w40 = grp I mineral
10w40, grp I/grp III mix = semi-synth
5w40 and 5w30 = grp III (synthetic except for germany)

Europe historically had little grp II oil production.

the formation of ACEA and their hardon for a minimum 3.5 HTHS killed any possibility of a commercially viable 10W30. a 10W40 is simply easier to make with less effort

10W30s like duckhams q5500 were around and among the first multigrades available but were overshadowed by the many flavors of 20W50 that spread like covid

Last edited:
in Pa 10-30 fake synthetic is my choice except my loose turbo'd + modded audi TT with a 4.25 qt sump + it gets redline 15-40 synthetic + 15-50 redline synthetic for warmer weather + top ups. wider spreads need better base oils so they hold up better. in Europe cars cost more so longer life is more important than a 1/2 mpg from thinner oils + i surely agree

What never existed in Australia to any large degree was a 5W30 mineral PCMO. It was either 5W30 synthetic (Grp III) or 10W30 mineral (Grp II). That always made sense to me.

Never?

That's a strong word.

Did you mean: "Haven't seen in the past few years"? Or truly: "Never"?
As a PCMO, the only one i've seen on the shelves on rare occasions was a Motul 10W30 A1/B1 for 3x the price of other oils and i've asked people about that and currently you can find an obscure Mannol 10W30 PCMO on the internet but that's about it. Not never but pretty close. The only results are usually HDEOs, 4 stroke bike oils and outboard oils (most outboard oils are 10W30s).

What never existed in Australia to any large degree was a 5W30 mineral PCMO. It was either 5W30 synthetic (Grp III) or 10W30 mineral (Grp II). That always made sense to me.
I think you'd struggle to make a viable 5W-30 using group 1 or 2.

Reactions: SR5
Back