Why 0w-20 and 0w-40 so popular, BUT not 0w-30?

Why is it that so many cars call for 0w-20 and many for 0w-40, but 0w-30 is almost unheard of. I know 0w-30 is available by some oil manufactures, but almost unheard of as recommended for a main recommendation? They chose 5w-30 instead.

Seems like 0w-30 would be the new go to oil for the best of everything. 0w for great cold flow performance and start-up fuel economy and the 30 that is the go to mid weight. I know that 0w isn't needed unless below crazy cold temps., but is nice.

I've thought about 0W-30 a few times, but the 0W-20 I use is actually a very thin 30-weight if you are going by HTHS so I never was able to really consider using a 0W-30. I probably could.

There are really only a few 0W-30s that I know of, anyway. One is from Mobil 1, and it is labeled an AFE or Advanced Fuel Economy. I used to think this was hard to come by, but I remember always seeing it at Walmart. Most people I believe just buy the 5W-30, since that is probably what their car oil cap is telling them to buy.

The 0W-40, I think it is an interesting case that it is actually a better oil than 5W-30, though I have always said, a 5W may flow better, sort of a Thin 30 vs Thick 40 thing, but there is a large amount of technical discussion about that.

I would agree you could use a 0W any time of year... Also that most times a 5W is sufficient..

Just Dexos alone drives much of it ... many new units calling for 0w20 or 5w30 ...

Which vehicles call for 0w40?
I guess MB used to recommend Mobil 1 0w40 for every car from the mid 90s to the 2010s, nothing more than a sticker under the hood. Owner manuals allow everything from 0w30 to 20w50 as long as the spec or approval is met. I'm asking myself the same question.

In case anyone was wondering what oil I was talking about. I have, on occasion, spent a lot of money on what they call Redline 0W-20. Once I bought 12 quarts that came shipped in a box. Once I bought two one gallon jugs. Buying the jugs cost more and buying the quarts saved me about $30. Still cost around $120, or around $10 a quart. I was then rewarded with oh so nice engine performance. And yeah I put it in cars that would be just fine on 5W-30.. Corollas, Civics, a Maxima, may or may not have put some in the Taurus, once again I would have been just fine spending between $13 and $16 on Walmart 5 quarts 5W-30 but that would have been too simple. I liked the oil. Some don't.

I still never really used 0W-30. I may have had it at one time.. didn't see any real reason to buy it again. I could have.

For me, I would either select 0W-20 or 5W-30. I have come to like my 0W-20 choice in this instance, since it seems to be very thin for 30 like PUP, but also is better oil. But that's another reason why I don't think I have ever bought much 0W-30, except as a curio.

A 0w-20 appeals to the guys who want a thinner oil on cold starts and for fuel economy. A 0w-40 appeals to guys who want the cold start protection while still having a higher viscosity when warm. A 0w-30, while being a compromise of the two, doesn't really fit into either one.

Snowblowers are now showing the use of 0w30.. haven’t really seen any cars using..

since 2012 my cars of choice take 0w20 and I’ll admit I was skeptical when I first shook a jug of 0w20 and how watery it was. Anyway 0w20 has proven to be a great viscosity for year round use and has good shear rating. As for 0w40 maybe some euro cars or mopar v8s

I like 0w30 :)

The M1 AFE lighter 30 that's A5/B5 as well as the heavier Castrol Edge 0w30 that's A3/B4 (and of course other Euro oils meeting either standard)

My Saab 9-3 specs 0W-30 or 0w-40. I've never run anything else in it. Got 0w-30 Castrol in it right now and 6 quarts of 0w-40 Pennzoil Euro ready to go next.

My Giulia calls for 0w-30, can’t think of anything else that does.

Perhaps if more cars called for it, more of it would be made.

That's easy:
Thinnie extremists use 0W-20, if not 0W-16.
Thickie extremists who must start in cold weather use 0W-40.

Some like more plastic! :ROFLMAO:
Some like thin & low hths oil.

A high hths 0W30 maybe a better alternative.

btw what happened to all GC fans?
wasn't that a high hths 0W30?

Maybe the price is the issue. Good 0W30 oils are about $10 / qt. Whereas a relatively good 0W40 (M1?) could be as low as $4.50 / qt.

Back