Whuch oil should I use next OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2002 Nissan Frontier P/U
Engine: 2.4L KA24DE (4 cylinder)
Trans: 5 speed manual
Mileage: 140,000 mi.
Nissan Manual Recommends: 5w-30 (preferred for all temps) 10w30 and 10w40 may be used for temperatures about 0*F (18*c)
API Cert. Mark *2
API SG/SH, Energy Conserving I & II or SJ Conserving *2
ILSAC GF-I & GF-II*2
Driving Style: Moderate I guess. I seldom go over 4.5k rpm but it is a manual trans backed engine, so pretty hard I imagine
Type Of Driving: 50/50 city/highway. Lots of shorts trips almost daily. I go on highway trips a lot too though. So basically both ends of the spectrum.
Known Problems: I have been having oil consumption issues with PP. I have only owned the truck for 6k miles/6 months. I have to add about 1/4 of a quart every 2500 miles. The engine does not leak any oil. I have good compression on all 4 cylinders and the engine runs strong. I did a complete tune up 5k mi. ago (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve, air filter, fuel filter, etc.)
Past oil used: Previous owner got oil changed at Nissan dealership. I have been running the same fill of PP since I got the truck (past 5k miles)

Bottom Line
So what I want to know is what oil I should run to minimize oil consumption. Also, I want an oil that will protect the best. I would rather have better protection and longevity over performance. I have heard this engine is very hard on oil (shears.) Whether that means staying synthetic or going to dino, it doesn't matter to me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I had excellent luck with Valvoline conventional in my old KA24DE in my '98 Altima. I used both 5W-30 and 10W-30, noticed no difference between the two. I haven't heard that these motors are tough on oil... I know they have a timing chain, but I never had any lubrication issues even with short trip driving, my lead foot and 6-9 month OCI's. If you're looking to reduce consumption, give their MaxLife a shot.

1/4 of a quart every 2500 miles is 1 qt per 10k.

This is NOT burning oil.

I'd go with any conventional oil 5w-30 and change it every 5k or 6 months.

Take care, bill

Shell Rotella. Your choice of Synthetic or Conventional. Their products include a Syn Blend 10w30, conventional 15w40, and Synthetic 5w40

Jiffy, the bottom line is that we don't know which oil will slow/stop your consumption. Almost any modern oil will give you the protection you want, provided it's changed regularly. For the most part, one oil ( or type of oil ) doesn't "protect" better than another.

As one option you could try a fill of GC. Or maybe a high mileage oil as DT suggested.

PP seems to be doing fine, I would not consider the amount of oil loss your are experiencing anything but normal, have you checked your Radiator fluid level?

There are many Synthetic 5W-30 oils OTC which you can try, and PP being one the excellent choices

Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec and Valvoline Synpower

See if any of these produces a different result.

Alright, thanks. I became alarmed when I noticed my oil level was dropping a 1/4 between add and full. Surprisingly, my 1991 vw's oil level always stays the same after 5k miles and it has over 150k on the original engine!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back