who's the new guy?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had decided that 0w-30 was in such low demand in these parts that I could leave the local GC on the shelf and still consider it as MY stash. I thought that I had a fairly safe, three-state stockpile. However, it is now being raided? Who just bought all but one GC in Christiansburg, VA? I know that some stray guy off the street did not buy an entire AZ inventory of GC (minus one bottle). It clearly had to be a BITOGer. I am not angry at you. But you should fess-up. The store is close to I-81, so I suppose that a travelling BITOGer may be the culprit. It had to be BITOGer just the same though...

I bought the single overlooked bottle at $4.80. I spoke with the manager and he said that they are not likely to get any additional 0W30 until the 20 or so bottles on the shelf are sold. I told him that the "yellow" labled Castrol 0W30 was not the same product and that he wasn't likely to sell it anytime soon.

could say it was me. as I live about 90 miles away from christianburg. but havent been in the buying mood for awhile. let this be a lession to you. nothing is a sure thing. next time I bet you buy and not think no one will buy as its in the middle of no where. people are starting to hit the small towns for the green. as the green supply is drying up to nothing. I know in the 2 stores in my area I found 13 QT's of the green.

Dude - there are over 12000 bitogers - what were you thinking?
smile.gif

Same thing at all the AutoZones in my area. It has been months and every Tuesday when Oil Shipment comes in - the shelves are cleared of GC Gold within a day or so.

I'm going to have to get there early. My supply is getting lower... (32 quarts)

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
Same thing at all the AutoZones in my area. It has been months and every Tuesday when Oil Shipment comes in - the shelves are cleared of GC Gold within a day or so.

I'm going to have to get there early. My supply is getting lower... (32 quarts)

It's a California "gold rush."

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Plenty of Gold available at my closest autozone. I bought 10 qts the other week and filled my car and my dads car. Running well so far.

I saw a few lonely 0W30 "AC" yellow label bottles at KMart the other day. It was really dusty. Anybody know when it came on the market or how to date code?

It wasn't me but it could be in the future so look out! I drive to Kingsport, TN every few months (pass thru Christiansburg on Rt 81) and am always on the lookout for Autozones for their GC stashes. Kingsport's Autzone was the 1st place I found the Gold GC that has the MB 229.5 spec on the bottle and I was so excited that I knelt down on my knees and said a prayer of thanks.
smile.gif

JAG,

Once in Kingsport, if you keep going down 11W there are a series of AZs with GC green. Like little green pearls that run all the way through Knoxville and out the other side.

You may also want to stop in Front Royal at the 66/81 junction. I haven't checked there yet.

Thanks for the tip! My fiance's G35 Coupe will be happy to hear the news since it is on a pure GC diet. It hasn't tasted the Green GC yet though. Also, I want to find some Green to test against the Gold to see if there are volatility and other differences.

Beware ! Since it is so popular AZ is slipping in Old Stock into the 0-30 position on the shelf. Some of it is made in USA back in 2001 !

quote:

Originally posted by JAG:
Thanks for the tip! My fiance's G35 Coupe will be happy to hear the news since it is on a pure GC diet. It hasn't tasted the Green GC yet though. Also, I want to find some Green to test against the Gold to see if there are volatility and other differences.

My G35 Sedan loves the green (and will be on it for a while, as the stash is still well over 100 quarts. . . ). As you may have found out, despite all the nice sounds it makes otherwise, the VQ35DE is sometimes afflicted with "timing chain rattle," on start which is supposedly harmless (if it lasts only a second or so, as is the case with my car). It is caused, as far as my research reveals, by the brief interval it takes for the oil pressure driven chain tensioner to stabilize. Anyway, GC and the K&N oil filter seem to result in minimal or no TCR, whereas GC with a Mobil-1 filter causes more. Anyway, my VQ really seems to love the stuff. My car is about 18 months old, and I'm almost to 50k miles now. UOA have been great and the view in the oil filler reveals only shiny clean bare metal.

==========================================

quote:

Originally posted by warrior pilot:
Beware ! Since it is so popular AZ is slipping in Old Stock into the 0-30 position on the shelf. Some of it is made in USA back in 2001 !

Yech! Don't buy any of that stuff! I haven't been actively hunting for a while, but both in the New Orleans area and in Pensacola, there had been only scattered examples of the "yellow". I would usually make sure they were up front so as to conceal bottles of the good stuff I intended to come back for later. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Thanks for the G35 engine info ekpolk! Your past posts on Green GC in this engine are what I based my decision to use GC in this engine. So far, it seems to love it...I swear it feels more powerful but maybe I'm just imagining it. But most importantly, I know that the GC will keep it clean as a whistle and it can do moderately long drains comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back