Who's still driving a stick shift daily?

Wife’s DD is 09 Accord LX-P with 5 speed, 67k miles. Other manuals are 2011 Z4 6 speed, 1972 Cutlass with 4 speed, Goldwing and VTX 1300. Wife broke R arm, so currently driving 2011 Pilot, with 03 Trailblazer on standby.

Still daily. Only own stick. Keeps wife away from my stuff.
Wife was driving stick after I stopped. She still insists that I taught her how to drive stick, and that it was after I showed her how to drive my Saturn, that she was confident enough to buy her first new car as a stick. [Major issue: she bought a Civic, which you could not take off without throttle. Gutless turd, at least off idle. She had major doubts, but once I drove it and explained, yes this one DOES need a bit of throttle, she was a very happy camper, drove it 10 years, insisted her next car was to be a stick. No short order in 2011 but we managed to find one then.]

Am tempted to find a toy for myself, kinda miss driving a stick, too cheap to do so though.

Though I'm German, most of the cars I had in my live where US cars with automatic, and - especially for a daily driver - I enjoy that.
But I learned to drive (as every German) with a stick, my 41 Chevy has three on the tree and the truck has a floor shifter.
Actually I don't think too much about it, when I switch between automatic and stick, it's pretty much hard wired in my brain.

Wide ratio Muncie; Hurst shifter. Someone pulled some quick bang shifts into 2nd, syncros shot. Not driven daily, though...
68 new top side.jpeg

Yep, still driving a stick most days. I appreciate the simplicity of the whole car compared to today's cars. Regular steering rack, regular brakes, A/C and radio knobs / buttons, no turbo lag or other delays between hitting a pedal and getting a response. I like technology, but I don't like the man - machine interface of most modern cars. My biggest complaint after 17 years with this car is that the interior is starting to degrade, which bothers me. If I could buy an identical brand new car today, I probably would. Maybe with a better stereo, but one that still doesn't require a 10" LCD display.

Yes. Now that I’m retired and driving less to a part time gig I would not hesitate to get another manual. It becomes second nature after a while and less of a hassle. Probably won’t happen though, I’m old and hoping my two car fleet(automatics) outlast me. I was good at it though when I younger, like most things.😕

Back