Who's responsible??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, so I received some ammunition in the mail today via UPS. However, upon opening the package, I found my "spam" can to have a dent on it, causing the can to have lost its vacuum seal, basically rendering the can useless which is half of why I bought it in the first place. The package it was shipped in had no supports, no cushions, peanuts, etc. so is UPS responsible? Or the place I bought it from?

if the company didn't put "fragile" or "do not drop/bend" on it, I would hold the company responsible.

IE, if you shipped a porcelain glass fixture just in the box, no packing equipment and didn't mark "Fragile Glass" its not the carriers fault. Its the shippers.

I would make a claim with both. One or both of the entities is responsible and there is no proof of what condition it was shipped.

For the purchaser there is implied usability warranty that they should expect to receive the purchased item in the same shape as it was stated to be in by the seller when it was purchased. If the item purchased was advertised as in "new" condition then they have the right to expect it to arrive at door in the same condition.

The vendor (seller) has the responsibility to ship items with adequate packaging to avoid normal shipping damage. So if the item was "adequately" packed but still damaged due to rough handling or accident then UPS is at fault. If the item was shipped with inadequate protection and packaging then vendor is at fault.

It was packed in a small 6 inch by 20 inch box. No padding AT ALL. Thanks for your help.

Check the website policies before you call. Many have specific disclaimers dealing with ammunition. Check the box to see if it had an ORMD label. It MUST! It is suppose to be labeled as such to ensure specific handling as in no air transport, etc..

I would make the claim with a manager of the site bought from and see if you can't get a discount. They can't take it as a return, and they are sure to have a policy in place so as not to eat it. I would play the I understand things happen, but XYZ company did not show due care in processing my shipment. I see from your policy ammunition is not returnable, but I am not being provided the product I was sold due to XYZ's error in providing any form of protection in shipping.

Tough spot to be in when it's ammo.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
It was packed in a small 6 inch by 20 inch box. No padding AT ALL. Thanks for your help.

I've seen some Eastern Bloc ammo come in crated containers with the sardine cans inside and visible through the slats. Actually protects pretty decently.

It's the vendor's fault. Let them deal with UPS. I assume you paid with credit card, they will cover you. Regardless of if you opt for shipping insurance etc it's on them.

I order green coffee beans in 33lb vacuum bags.. for bulk savings..

Every time the package has been shattered by fedex or ups.

its double boxed but they drop it from 3ft and it splits the mylar and sometimes the box (if its 2x33lb esp)

The boxes are marked fragile, handle like glass, do not drop....

Last edited:

This is the way they are usually shipped. Most of the time there are no issues, though, even with dents. How do you know that seal has been compromised? Is it split open? I've seen some seriously dented cans with seals still intact. I have some Albanian cans of 7.62x54r that probably have damaged cartridges inside from the dents, but the seal appears to be intact.

I don't know why people selling and shipping items can't package them better. Do they really think UPS/Fed-Ex or whoever is going to be careful with the package - they don't know what the word "fragile" means.
eek.gif

Tell me if this is right, I am sure it is. My one good spam can is solid tight (metal spam can wont allow me to push the metal in towards the ammo), however with this one, the top of the lid is pushed slightly up so you can see what it was once molded onto the rest of the spam can and the sides are loose (I can push the metal in and it will retract back out). That to me is clear evidence of a seal broken. It is pushed back out by the air moving back into the container.

My mosin nagant ammo was in spam cans in a wooden crate. I bought 880 rounds. I have heard the buying one can gets only a label slapped on it. The crate mine came in look russian also.

Tell me if this is right, I am sure it is. My one good spam can is solid tight (metal spam can wont allow me to push the metal in towards the ammo), however with this one, the top of the lid is pushed slightly up so you can see what it was once molded onto the rest of the spam can and the sides are loose (I can push the metal in and it will retract back out). That to me is clear evidence of a seal broken. It is pushed back out by the air moving back into the container.

If you want to be sure, empty the can then submerge it under water for 5 min to test the seal. Then remove it, dry the outside off and open it up to see if there is any water inside.

It's the vendor's error. Almost all shipping damage is caused by insufficient packaging. There are standards for packaging performance but most people don't know they exist.

Labeling items "fragile" etc literally has no meaning in the shipping industry. There are no standards in ISO or ISTA and they are handled no differently as they go through the shipping system. The way to ship fragile items is to pack them correctly, stickers don't protect them from anything.

I'd shoot it and not deal with the hassle. Spam cans aren't that great anyway. If you're storing them in ideal conditions they're unnecessary. If you're storing them in hostile conditions they're suspect and can't be inspected. We know for certain that folks making the cheapest ammo possible aren't pulling out all the stops to make a bulletproof spam can.

You can still find the ".50 cal" ammo cans for about $10 that you can put the ammo in for long term storage. You can even throw a desiccant pack if you want. I agree with hatt, that it's not worth the hassle of sending it back. If it really bothers you, contact the seller and tell them what happened. Suggest that they refund you $10 or so to cover the cost of an ammo can for storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back