Who's got a long commute to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

I commute 50 miles each way to school every day, but it's totaly against traffic, and it's 80 mph + on interstate highway. I actually kind of enjoy it, cause I love listening to talk radio, and Denver has the best talk radio station in the country. I do hit traffic jams on occasion, depending on the time of day. The road rage around these parts is getting out of hand; that gets annoying after a while

offtopic.gif
What is going on out in Colorado? It's becomming the "wacko" state. Columbine, this professor etc....seems like it's getting nuts out their. Drew, don't take it personel.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

I dunno. Everyone and their mother is moving here, and it's driving the natives crazy! Boulder and CU........I just don't know anymore! Most college towns are liberal bastions of wackiness, but Boulder takes this to an entire new level
lol.gif
The state is getting nutts. We have the fastest growing county in the US. All the nice little mountain resort towns are now bastions of unforseen wealth. It's actually a pretty messed up economic situation. There is basically tent communites now between Aspen and Glenwood Springs to house the "workers". I'm gettin out as soon as I can; that's all I got to say!

At the previous company I worked for, the longest commute was one guy who drove from East Lyme, CT to Stamford, CT; that was basically the whole length of CT, approx. 80 miles everyday (through snow storms, etc.). He piled miles on his Subie like nobody's business!

At my current job, we had a guy who'd drive from Cleveland, GA to Marietta, GA; also about 80 miles each way.

My commute's 20 miles one way, 15 miles back; like Goldilocks: not too close, not too far, just right!

Mine is 42 each way and takes 45-50 minutes. The interstate runs right from home to work but I usually come home on the country roads. One thing worth considering is to try hard to live east of work if you work days. I feel sorry for those folks meeting me each way who are squinting into the sun.

dickwells,

Very good point! You're absolutely right about the direction your commute is. I, unfortunately, did not take that into account and so I get blinded both ways: E in the morning and W in the evening.

Mine is about 40 miles each way and the wife has a 25 mile commute each way.

Time, wear and tear on your car. Our commutes are tolerable since it is mostly highway on light traffic. However you had better be mechanically inclined or you will go broke replacing cars.

I have 8 cars and can rotate them in and out of service. I try to keep the miles off the newer ones by driving the older cars. My Shadow has 195 Kmiles for example.

Of course I have freinds in Mass who have 20 mile commutes which take longer than my 40 mile trek because of traffic.

Mike

This thread reminds me of a study done on where people live in relation to their work. They found that throughout history, a 40 minute commute was the cut-off point to where the average person started looking for somewhere closer to live. This included not only suburban dwellers working in offices, but also jungle natives growing crops away from the village.... same problem for each!

Me, I live 10 minutes from work, going 80mph on the freeway against traffic. The highway is one block from home and 1/2 mile from work.

For 14 years I drove 3.2 miles one-way, garage to garage.

For the last 3 it's 38 miles one way.

Become a licensed amateur radio operator like me....install in your car an amateur radio transceiver, and you will be able to talk to your amateur radio friends during your commute.

www.arrl.org

73, K1XV

At one time I had a commute of 80 miles each way. It would take anywhere from 90 minutes to three hours, depending on traffic. I did that for 6 years.

Oil changes once a month (about 4K miles). After so much practice, just for fun, I did an oil + filter change in the dark, by feel, just to see if I could. I suceeded, with no more than the usual mess.

I wasn't too bad when we were dual income, no kids. Once the kids came along, I just couldn't take the commute anymore, and found a job closer to home. Now, my commute is 26 miles (45 minutes). I'd like to find somethinge closer, but there isn't much near my home.

My commute averages 91 miles each way . It takes me 1:20 hours in the morning and 1:45 in the afternoon return trip.I`m used to it.It could be allot worse.I have friends stuck in traffic over 2 hours a day,just barely creeping along.My hour meter calc shows I`m right at 48 MPH for the life of my engine.Thank god for extended OCI`s.

I have about a 35 mile commute (70 miles round trip). It's nearly all 2 lane highway with very little traffic (and drivers that wave when you meet them). I do it in about 35-38 minutes and it's really enjoyable. In snow/ice conditions it can be a bit nerve wracking, even in a Jeep. But the sunny days and the relaxing after work drive more than make up for it.

I joke with my wife that I see more cows than cars on the way to work-which is normally true.

I commute 60+ miles one way! Takes about 1 hour going to work and less than a hour coming home.(2am)

I make the schedule up for my department
grin.gif
and made my schedule 4 days a week so I can cut the commute down 20%! ALso I work hours and days to avoid the traffic. Works pretty well.

I figured it out and I spend 3months a year commuting. It's like a part time job.
shocked.gif

But I really love where I live and would hate to live anywhere else.

So I got a smaller car that will go the miles for as little of $$ as possible. After doing the commute now for 9 years and 3 cars, it's still worth it IMO...

Cheers, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: 100th post! Watch out Patman....
gr_stretch.gif

quote:

Originally posted by wwillson:
I work from home most of the time, so my commute is about 30 seconds and I can do it in my underwear!

Wayne

I hope you don't have web-cam conferences dressed like that!
grin.gif

I used to live in Chicago's south suburbs and work in the west suburban area. Minimum commute for 38 miles was 1 hour 15 mins. Usually 90 minues one way. Snow? 2.5+ hours. Before that was a job just south of the loop with nothing but I-94, the "Dan Ryan", 22 miles = 1 hour. Traffic tie-ups sent me to Indiana on the skyway, that's $2.00 per toll one way. I don't miss that at all.

Here in TN, the commute is 75 miles round trip. Can do it in about 35 minutes in the morn, 45 minutes in the afternoon. And no $2.00 tolls.

Years ago when I worked at Ford dealer out in the sticks, the 35 mile one-way commute was done in 26 minutes when I HAD to get to work on time. I had my 91 Saturn airborne over a small bridge (that goes over a tiny pond) just north of Beecher, IL.
grin.gif
That trip to work was the most fun I EVER HAD driving to work!!

[ February 12, 2005, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: ToyotaNSaturn ]

Update:

Well I did move and my commute is 42 miles each way.Takes 1 hour to work and 1 hour and 15 minutes on the way home.

Sometimes it's okay but sometimes I really hate it.It makes me regret moving sometimes.
Oh well,I did manage to get 35.3 mpgs's on many of morning trip on my GTI with a VR6 which is pretty good!

Depending which school calls me to substitute teach.....

School 1: 3 miles
School 2: 1.5 miles
School 3: 6 miles
Other schools: all less than 5 miles

Very little traffic so no slow downs.

Sure sucketh to be you guys spending a goodly portion of thine life commuting.

Bwa hah hah hah hah hah..... burp

Wow, after reading all the long commute mine doesn't look so bad:

50 miles each way between home and work
15 miles each way between work and school

work 9 hours each day, school 1.5 hour 4 days a week.

I was considering moving almost 60-70 miles to purchase a larger farm. The wife and decided we would get tired of driving pretty fast. Even the drive when we were looking to buy the place was tiring.
my family complains I live to far out right now 28 miles. But I dont have one stop light to deal with until I get into the city.

Daily commute: 35mi each way, 60% of which is 45mph or under
Commute time: 1-1.5hrs depending on traffic...When I work on Saturdays, time gets cut down to less than 45min. in the AM.

My previous commute was 50mi each way, but most of that was on the PA Turnpike so commute time was about the same.

[ August 31, 2005, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Brikhead ]

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
It's 6.5 miles from my front door to my shop. Takes 40 mins to drive!

Hey, I don't wanna be a wise-acre here, but have you considered a bicycle?
I used to ride my bike everywhere around town, and I could do 6.5 miles in well under 40 minutes, even in heavy traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back