Who wrote "Motor Oil 106"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I personally used 0W-20 Mobil 1 in the 575 Maranello and for the first oil change I drained the Murcielago’s (OEM) 5W-40 Agip and replaced it with 0W-30 Mobil 1. The engine became much quieter. A valve tappet noise disappeared. I then used the 5W-20 Red Line in the Lamborghini. Used oil analysis showed that this oil worked well for my non racetrack application. The same oil went into my Maybach 57. My Enzo Ferrari calls for the Shell Helix Ultra racing 10W-60 but I have used the Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-106/

That cat has got over a million dollars in vehicles. Who is he/she? What does he/she do for a living? And why is he/she writing articles for BITOG?

AEHaas. I haven't seen him post on here for a long time. IIRC he is a doctor -- plastic surgeon or something?

Originally Posted By: dparm
AEHaas. I haven't seen him post on here for a long time. IIRC he is a doctor -- plastic surgeon or something?

Does he have a background in chemistry or engineering?

Nice stable he has. It's like an issue of Car & Driver. Good for him!
smile.gif

I noticed him posting within the past couple weeks. I forget which thread.
From what I've gathered he's a plastic surgeon however I noticed in his sig something about home inspections but I've never tried to see if it was a link to something.

I believe Dr. Haas has a background in biochemistry. But he did research in blood circulation at one point, which means he probably has a better understanding of fluid dynamics than most engineers.

Originally Posted By: strat81
Quote:
I personally used 0W-20 Mobil 1 in the 575 Maranello and for the first oil change I drained the Murcielago’s (OEM) 5W-40 Agip and replaced it with 0W-30 Mobil 1. The engine became much quieter. A valve tappet noise disappeared. I then used the 5W-20 Red Line in the Lamborghini. Used oil analysis showed that this oil worked well for my non racetrack application. The same oil went into my Maybach 57. My Enzo Ferrari calls for the Shell Helix Ultra racing 10W-60 but I have used the Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-106/

That cat has got over a million dollars in vehicles. Who is he/she? What does he/she do for a living? And why is he/she writing articles for BITOG?

Rich doctor in Florida, I think South Florida or Sarasota.

Cosmetic surgeon, but a smart guy.

Think old FX shop "Nip/Tuck" and how they drove around Lamborghinis and lived in homes that were.. amazing. He has Lambos, too.

He catches flak for putting thin motor oil in cars like that, but just one thing about his writings that should help: Sometimes, when he says 0W-20 (as he does for almost everything with little exception,) he uses oils that are actually 30-weights but get called 0W-20s somehow. Other posters have noticed this, too, that when you look at the HTHS of the oils he calls 0W-20, (some of them) aren't. Been years since I read his stuff, but I remember this. (His oils use a different way to label themselves. Why do I recall the name Fuchs as one of his favorites. Super mega expensive oil he buys, too.)

He doesn't put Supertech in those beauties.........

That said, most of his stff is solid, but he writes like a madman.

And did you catch where he says his Ferrari made "metallic screaching sounds for about 11 seconds then became dead quiet and ran great" or something like that? ........................... That is the one part that makes me cringe. I believe it happened, but, umm.. a Ferrari.. a NEW one..........

^^ Never did figure out why AEHaas gave his summized knowledge (about motor oil??) to here.

His points about "Thin as can be, but as thick as necessary" DO resonate, though.

Some take issue with the source.

(Also, AEHaas used to get attacked all the time for putting motor oil advice anywhere, the idea was that he wasn't knowledgeable on motor oil, rather something else. But the guy is a genious, so, that all pretty much stopped, some time ago, IIRC.)

He seems credible from engineers that DO know about motor oil, so, that is my guess.

Just the writing style..
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
^^ Never did figure out why AEHaas gave his summized knowledge (about motor oil??) to here.

AFAIK, he originally wrote it to share with a Ferrari board that he frequented. Then he found BITOG and figured this might be a good place to publish it as well.

TechnoLoGs (Also said:
Some of the information in that is wrong, or is just straight-up opinion. I always encourage people to consult multiple sources when it comes to something as complex as motor oil.

Some of the information in that is wrong, or is just straight-up opinion. I always encourage people to consult multiple sources when it comes to something as complex as motor oil.

Can you elaborate one what was incorrect?

I'm not trying to get you to drag him or his work through the mud, just trying to learn.

And I see the good doctor is into machine guns. Sounds like my kind of guy!
smile.gif

Last edited:

Can you elaborate one what was incorrect?

I'm not trying to get you to drag him or his work through the mud, just trying to learn.

Quote:
(Also, AEHaas used to get attacked all the time for putting motor oil advice anywhere, the idea was that he wasn't knowledgeable on motor oil, rather something else. But the guy is a genious, so, that all pretty much stopped, some time ago, IIRC.)

I think dparm was trying to say that this is my opinion.

However:

1) IIRC (I've been here for years,) AEHaas always used to be the butt of ridicule as to his thin oil theories, just like Mobil 1 and its Fe (Iron) carrying ability was. There was a point that it was at a fervor pitch and, much like A-Rx, threads were locked. This if I recall correctly; I could be wrong or slightly inaccurate here, and I think that is what dparm was saying.

2) He catches a LOT of flak for being a cosmetic surgeon. And talking as a chemist, or tribologist, or authority on oil. (This could be opinion but many brought it up.)

3) IIRC, AEHaas is pretty much left alone, and not trolled or spammed when he posts.

The guy caught flak despite probably being the most successful professional that posts here?

No. dparm was basically saying that some of the info in AEHaas' articles was inaccurate and it had nothing to do with with his credentials. I remember seeing it discussed quite a bit here on BITOG, but I can't find those threads now.

IIRC, it mainly had to do with the fact that he oversimplified certain concepts in order to make them more easily digestible by a layman.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

No. dparm was basically saying that some of the info in AEHaas' articles was inaccurate and it had nothing to do with with his credentials. I remember seeing it discussed quite a bit here on BITOG, but I can't find those threads now.

IIRC, it mainly had to do with the fact that he oversimplified certain concepts in order to make them more easily digestible by a layman.

If the material was flat-out wrong, would it have been posted on the blog/article section of the site? Surely whoever owns the site vets the material that is posted in that section, no?

If the material was flat-out wrong,

Who said it was "flat-out wrong"?

It's a good overall starting point for someone new to the subject.

Surely whoever owns the site vets the material that is posted in that section, no?

The owner is not a tribologist and has no way to scrutinize text for correctness. The articles are posted in good faith. They are all generally fairly accurate and informative, but again, the articles are written by users/members out of free will. Nobody gets paid for it, and nobody has to be a tribologist to write it. You get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back