Who uses oil in all 3 Harley holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not.

Using motor oil in the motor, gear lube in the transmission(gearbox), and usually use ATF in the primary. I have used an HDEO in the primary also.

I've used amsoil, Harleys oil, and valvoline in all three. I can't tell any difference and I doubt my bike does. I won't run automatic trans fluid in the primary as Harley doesn't recommend it. And Harley doesn't specify gear oil for the trans either.If you read enough about oil and Harley's, it seems they will run on just about any oil made today.I'm not willing to experiment with my bike using unspecified lubricants,just because some guy on the internet tried it.,,

Not.

SAE 50 dino (for AZ summer), 15W40 HDEO, 85W140 dino gear oil in engine, primary, and tranny, respectively.

Last edited:
Valvoline Conventional VR-1 20W-50 in the crankcase and the transmission. Mobil Delvac 15W-40 or Rotella 15W-40 in the primary chaincase.

On Sportsters, Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 in the crankcase and also in the shared transmission/primary.

There's a virgin oil analysis here somewhere for the HD Formula+ and it is a 50 wt oil with virtually no additives. If it was $3 a quart then I might consider it but at $9/quart I'll just use motor oil.

We recently pulled the lid of a TC88 transmission that had run VR-1 for 48,xxx miles and it was nice and clean and showed no discernable wear.

Works for me.

BTW - be careful for any of you wanting to run gear oil in the primary chaincase. Some of the gear oil is not kind to yellow metals (copper, brass, etc) and your stator is in there (lots of copper windings)- up front beind the compensating sprocket.

Just sayin.

Im doing my first OC on my 2010 Road Glide this weekend.

I got M1 20w50 Vtwin for the crankcase, M1 10w40T for the primary and M1 75w140 for the tranny and ofcourse the HD 5 micron filter. While this puppy is under warranty I will play by their rules.

I figured I would change them all for the 1,000 mile service then change the oil again at 4k then get on the 5k OCI with the crank and primary and 10k on transmission.

I used to use oil in the primary and oil bag, but I used tranny fluid in the tranny.

15w-50 M1, if I recall correctly. Don't remember what gear lube.

I had an '85 FLT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Im doing my first OC on my 2010 Road Glide this weekend.

I got M1 20w50 Vtwin for the crankcase, M1 10w40T for the primary and M1 75w140 for the tranny and ofcourse the HD 5 micron filter. While this puppy is under warranty I will play by their rules.

I figured I would change them all for the 1,000 mile service then change the oil again at 4k then get on the 5k OCI with the crank and primary and 10k on transmission.

Sounds like you have it figured out. All good ideas, but I'd go ahead and do the transmission change at 5K also.

I once used M1 V-Twin in all three holes but really couldn't justify $9.00/qt oil in the primary or transmission. I currently have Schaeffer's 20w50 racing oil in the engine, and 15w40 Rotella in the primary and trans (which is shifting beautifully, btw)
56.gif

Never tried motor oil in the tranny. Despite what the MoCo says always believed gear lube was the right thing for that hole.

Primary case? Motor oil is all I use (Rotella 15W40).

I just bought the Redline "Power Pack" for harleys. Gives ya 5 qts of there 20W/50 (or 20W/60) motorcycle oil. You only need 3qts so I don't know why they give you 2 more. You also get the great trans and primary fluids - 1 qt each. My Softail has never been quieter and the shift clunks are GONE! I've used Mobil 1, Syn 3 and the Harley trans+4 or whatever they call it and none has worked better than the Redline. The kit also includes a bottle of fuel system cleaner, a hat, a funnel and some stickers all for $89.95.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I just bought the Redline "Power Pack" for harleys. Gives ya 5 qts of there 20W/50 (or 20W/60) motorcycle oil. You only need 3qts so I don't know why they give you 2 more. You also get the great trans and primary fluids - 1 qt each. My Softail has never been quieter and the shift clunks are GONE! I've used Mobil 1, Syn 3 and the Harley trans+4 or whatever they call it and none has worked better than the Redline. The kit also includes a bottle of fuel system cleaner, a hat, a funnel and some stickers all for $89.95.

Yea I looked at that package, sound a dealer that does the same package for $79.95 and charges 1/2 price for shipping.
I have heard good things about the shock proof but 75w250 wow! That seems overkill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Yea I looked at that package, sound a dealer that does the same package for $79.95 and charges 1/2 price for shipping.
I have heard good things about the shock proof but 75w250 wow! That seems overkill.

It's not 75w/250, According to the literature its really a 90wt so it's fine. But that price of 79.95 is great. I paid $16.95 shipping so $106 total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back