Who uses Mobil 1 0W20 Advanced Fuel Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who uses Mobil 1 0W20 Advanced Fuel Economy, How does your engine like it consumption wise? How does it do With Fuel Economy? Any Improvement?

Thanks Grambo

I'm using it now. I don't use any oil, the engine is very quiet with it. No difference in mpg from Edge or ASM 0W20. The biggest improvement is the engine is quieter with AFE than it was with ASM. Edge 0W20 was nice and quiet too.

I run it in my truck and have no complaints. Has did great in some really cold starts, and has never used any in my last 2 runs of it. It has quieted a considerable amount of piston slap as well. Cant comment on fuel economy as i dont track it.

Currently just over a year, and 4k miles on this fill and im planning on doing a UOA in January to see how its holding up. Quality lube and im very happy with it!

I have run it in both of the vehicles in my signature before and enjoyed using it. Oil consumption was the same as with any other oil: none. Engine noise was less than with any other oil. The only reason I'm not using it currently is I got the oil I am using for either free or very cheap. I may go back to the M1 0W-20 one day.

I would think that with all the recent cars that spec 0W-20, Mobil 1 0W-20 is probably the most commonly used brand on the market that meets the spec.

I remember back when this came out, the only vehicles I knew to spec 0W-20 was the Honda Civic Hybrid and the Honda Insight. The only 0W-20 that were on the market with an API cert were Mobil 1 and Honda OEM, and they were exceedingly hard to find. Some people were concerned about the protection of 5W-20 oils, and one suggestion was to use Mobil 1 0W-20 because it should have a higher thin-film strength than most 5W-20s.

The first time I'd heard of "0W-20" was when talking to an auto parts store manager who was a huge fountain of information. He seemed way too knowledgeable about things to be a mere parts pusher, and I found out it was just a second job where he worked at another parts store and also did a lot of speed stuff including working with an amateur drag racing team. It was in the mid-90s, and he said Pennzoil had a synthetic racing 0W-20 without API certs that was generally meant for drag racing.

These days it's odd seeing it in every Wal-Mart.

Return that stash for 0w-20. I have dino 5w20 just because dino's dont come in 0w-'s. I have qsud0w-20 in the geo metro, chevy astro awd. Luv it. No cunsumpsion or complants. I dont see me using but 0w20 for the good cars, trucks and equipment.

Ken

I have used it. No consumption issues in my Lexus V8 but the Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.8 liter engine did get thirsty with it and I'm not sure why (though these engines are known to drink oil).

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Stop it Caterham!

You're making me want to return the PP and QSUD 5w20 in my stash.

Sorry!

As you know, PP (and probably QSUD) is one of the lightest 5W-20's available (Havoline is lighter), so for summer and none extremely cold winter use M1 0W-20 doesn't have much of an advantage over those oils.

This is the second run of AFE 0w-20 in the Tacoma. It has worked well in the 2.7L 4-cyl. No usage or noise issues. As I have mentioned before, is just seems to give the engine that special feel. My current fill has been in since last Thanksgiving weekend. It has a bit over 5K on it and I think it will stay in till Thanksgiving weekend. It will probably be in 7K or so. If I was not sitting on a 7 change stash, I would go buy some more.

I used M1 AFE 0w20 in an '07 Accord V6 for 5 yrs before switching M1 EP 5W20 last year. No difference that I noticed in fuel consumption or noise. No oil consumption on either.

Currently using M1 AFE 0W20 on a '13 Subaru 2.5. Also, no oil consumption.

We just purchased a '13 Fiesta 1.6 and plan on using EP 5w-20 for the 10K Ford recommended OCI. Price difference @ Walmart is $2/jug.

Between EP and AFE 0/5-w20 there is a viscosity difference of just over 2% at 100C, more like 10% at 40C. Pennzoil platinum 0w-20 is less viscous yet. Yet you don't see Pennzoil advertising their improved economy. That small of a difference won't translate into much of an improvement anyway.

Mobil claims 'up to 2% better fuel economy' but they don't say what they are comparing it to. Maybe AWE 0w30 vs dino 10W30. Maybe vs a straight 30w. Perhaps it only matters in the winter. It seems to me that AFE makes sense during the warranty period (a little cheaper) and EP after the warranty for a longer drain.

Last edited:
There are a few things I really like about this oil.

It's cold weather pump-ability is outstanding. It meets the latest, most demanding high temperature specs and has a HT/HS of 2.7. dexos 1/ACEA/(previously met GM 4178M).

FWIW, the SN M1 doesn't have the internet based claim of increased engine noise. In fact, the SN actually appears to make engines a tad more quiet. Again, just internet observation.

I have a tenth Gen Corolla and have run the recommended 0w-20 in it since I got it... at first all I could find was Mobil 1 and Toyota, the Toyota was a couple bucks more per quart so I've used M1 exclusively. No complaints, no oil burning (engine is still fresh) easy starting in any weather, smooth running, can't compare fuel economy because it's all I've ever run.

Now it seems everyone has had 0w-20 out for 4 years but try finding it 3 years ago, lol M1 was the only option actually available around here.

Originally Posted By: buster

It's cold weather pump-ability is outstanding. It meets the latest, most demanding high temperature specs and has a HT/HS of 2.7. dexos 1/ACEA/(previously met GM 4178M).

FWIW, the SN M1 doesn't have the internet based claim of increased engine noise. In fact, the SN actually appears to make engines a tad more quiet. Again, just internet observation.

Funny you mention SN vs SM. I used m1 5w-30 when the spec was SM and every engine I used it in was noticeably more noisy. The top end clacking and tapping so last winter I was expecting the same,or worse using AFE in my 04 hemi.
There was absolutely no more noise than the PP that the AFE replaced. I did hear a slight knock,similar to a Diesel engine coming from the bottom however that noise was there when I got it,and PP nor eneos 0w-20 had any effect on it whatsoever.
Once spring hit I had a jug of 5w-20 defy and that cured the dieseling sound from the bottom end.
Trust me. I looked for reasons not to like AFE and listened to my engine with a heightened sense of hearing so I could bash the oil but I found nothing to bash. Truck ran great,started easy at -35,I towed a fox body across the prairies on a trailer with it and the oil showed absolutely no signs of any of my previous experiences with M1.
So buster I noticed the same thing you mention,the SN spec seemed to have done a bit better with any noise or acoustics coming from an engine.

Originally Posted By: buster

Don't read too much into the published HTHSV of 2.7cP on the US Mobil site. In all likelyhood it's probably closer to 2.66cP rounded up to 2.7. The reason is, the Cdn made version of M1 AFE 0W-20 has a published HTHSV of 2.6cP, lower 170 VI and higher MRV.
I asked Mobil about the difference in the published spec's and was told the US and Cdn formulations are the same, what your seeing is normal batch variation.

The published HTHSV of M1 0W-20 used to given to two decimal places and the SM oil had spec' of 2.63cP. Anyway we know it's HTHSV is at least 2.6 plus. With other 20wt oils where the HTHSV spec' is given as 2.6cP (or not provided at all) it could easily be 2.55cP for one knows.

Is all of this splitting hairs? Of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back