Who uses EXIDE batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EXIDE batteries consistently receive a bad reputation on automotive forums. Yet, the NAPA battery that was recently top-rated by CR is an EXIDE unit. My fellow classmates who work at the local Kragen's, which only sells Autolite batteries manufactured by EXIDE, do not report an abnormally high number of premature failures.

So, aside from moribundman (who has more than five years on his EXIDE battery from Kragen under the NASCAR brand), how long do your EXIDE produced batteries last year? What label are you purchasing them under? (i.e. NAPA, Autolite, etc)

Used the Checkers kind (Orbit? or something) and had one go at about 42 months and a second one lasted three years. I heard these batteries are very unforgiving of being run down. Seems to fit with what happened to mine.

My dad's 92 Camry had a Exide battery lasted a little over 5 years before it died. I still remember the day the car wouldn't start. It was at a parking lot at the mall started to rain a bit too. Had to ask someone to jump start it but later stalled as I pulled out. So went to Sears and got the Diehard battery and install it on the spot.

It was probably the least expensive one so its not the Nascar select or something like that. I don't remember the exact label on it. I would buy their batteries again. Haven't used the Autolite batteries but I'm guessing it is the same quality as Exides. Autozone Duralast batteries I heard are fairly good too. I would choose that as an alternative to Autolite or Exide. If you wanted a really good battery get Optima, a little bit more in price but you get what you pay for.

I recently purchased two Napa batteries for my 01 and 02 chevy. They work great. Excellent CCA on both, I also purchased them because the price was great and I've read reviews/and my brother in law said they were a very good battery too, especially for the cost.

I've had an Exide Orbital deep cycle battery for two years, 750 CCA. Regularly gets run down and then jump started with a booster pack (about twice a month); no problems to speak of.

Quote:

I've had an Exide Orbital deep cycle battery for two years, 750 CCA. Regularly gets run down and then jump started with a booster pack (about twice a month); no problems to speak of.

They should work well, thats what a deep cycle is made to do. A starting battery, no matter the brand, does not like to be discharged and recharged very many times.

I installed a northern, maintenance-free, Die-Hard Gold in September 2005. Very reliable battery.
thumbsup.gif

Since there are only about 2 or 3 automotive battery manufacturers left probably lots of people use those same batteries and don't know it. All the battery companies private label.

I have an Exide Select Orbital in my '96 Audi. It's been there for the last 4 years.

When the OEM AC Delco failed in my 2001 CL-S just over 3 years ago, I got an Exide. But only because Kragen was closest, and Exides were on sale for $45. I have always gotten the cheapest battery available, but then I also don't live where it's really cold.

Wal-marts batteries have been made by Exide for about 5 years. I heard they recently won some kind of "test". They were formerly made by Johnson Controls, makers of the often praise Diehard batteries.

The Costco batteries are made by Johnson Controls. I had thought Wal-Mart batteries were made by Exide but that may not be true anymore.

I think you really need to compare brands to the same driving style. I have always had a long commute and I am on 7 years on a Mopar battery, and 10 years on a DieHard Gold, but both see long commutes. This is opposed to my fater-in-law who drives 3 miles to and from work and usually sees a max of 3-4 years on his batteries.

I don't know about their batteries, but my company supplies oxygen to their Muncie IN plant at a rate of about 50KCFH. Not sure what part of the process needs the ~90% O2, but they use it 24/7/365. They must make a lot of batteries.

Joel

Exide is a variable quality produc ...unlike Deka. Both are manufactured (or both were) in Reading. Exide bought General Battery Corporation in 1987. This was where they got a broad enough product line to fit just about all automobiles. General Battery made all of your PB and Kmart "warranty batteries". You bought a cheap battery for your car where the warranty was for the lifetime of the ownership of the car. Naturally, it was easy when most cars didn't outlive the battery in typical ownership. General Battery also made premium stuff as well.

Exide orbital since 1999 when they first came out. I am the one who always made a disclaimer about the regular Exides having a bad reputation when referencing my battery so that people would not confuse the orbitals with the regular exides. Still going strong after 8 years.

Originally Posted by The Critic
EXIDE batteries consistently receive a bad reputation on automotive forums. Yet, the NAPA battery that was recently top-rated by CR is an EXIDE unit. My fellow classmates who work at the local Kragen's, which only sells Autolite batteries manufactured by EXIDE, do not report an abnormally high number of premature failures.

So, aside from moribundman (who has more than five years on his EXIDE battery from Kragen under the NASCAR brand), how long do your EXIDE produced batteries last year? What label are you purchasing them under? (i.e. NAPA, Autolite, etc)

That appears to be kinda odd for Johnson Controls. They, for the most part, make a truly decent battery. Much superior to most mass-showcase batteries. Actually, I would not pay for an Exide under any name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back