who uses an unmodified motor guard filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just as the title says, tried to get a hold of Ralph to no avail, however i have purchased a new air filter and want to use it though it has the original plastic pieces inside. does anyone on the board or elsewhere use an m30 motorguard air filter to filter out there engine oil, trans fluid while hot i.e. continuously running while on the go. if there isnt enough concensus to use the unmodified units then i guess i'll just have to use the frantz units exclusively. thanks

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1448740#Post1448740
grin2.gif

Yes. They're white (assumed nylon - but I could be wrong) cones. They passed the boiling water test without even a minor indication of softening. That puts them out of the PCV range and into some other polymer. If they are nylon, then they're good to well over 350F. The stuff requires 500F+ to be molten.

Do the same test. Just boil water and throw them in there. See if they turn to silly putty. If they don't, then you're 99% sure that they'll handle oil temps.

Originally Posted By: Jim
I have been using two unmodified Motor Guard filters on my Mercedes diesels for two years. No problems with the plastic.

Oil?, ATF?, Both? How long of an OCI? Nylon holding up well? Stained? Deformed?

Pictures available?

I use them on the engine oil as well as filtering my home brew bio diesel fuel. The oil flow is slow so I think the oil cools off enough so that it doesn't melt the plastic parts.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Yes. They're white (assumed nylon - but I could be wrong) cones. They passed the boiling water test without even a minor indication of softening. That puts them out of the PCV range and into some other polymer. If they are nylon, then they're good to well over 350F. The stuff requires 500F+ to be molten.

Do the same test. Just boil water and throw them in there. See if they turn to silly putty. If they don't, then you're 99% sure that they'll handle oil temps.

Then you think they would be OK on a lawnmower engine? (air cooled Kohler 27 HP)

I use an unmodified Motorguard on my Listeroid diesel setup. However, the oil never gets over 140 degrees F. They hold up just fine.

I have 3 in use currently.

2 on 7.3L 1999 f350 in series OCI was 30K on filter change only with oil sampling.

1 on 2004 Jetta TDI with >10K filter change and oil sampling.

Have talked to Ralph on the horn about 2 weeks ago. I live about 30-45 minutes away from him and he's doing pretty good (imho as thats how he sounds on the phone). HE *Might* have access to some more here shortly... that he's thinking of modifying...

I'm thinking of hunting for some un-modified one's (scratchs head) are they the m-30 and m-60 models???? that both work right???? there are a few pint shop retail/wholesalers that DFW area I've walked into that would sell them as singles to me for some-$60 a piece....granted that was a year ago.

M30 or M60 ..the difference is the size of the threaded holes.

$60-$70 is the going rate ..$57+s&h ..

I'm pleased to hear that Ralph is doing ..or at least sounding, well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back