Who Supplies Fuel for No Frills Gas stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the only difference is the additives the brand names add to the bulk gas at the refinery> (in your area) So same gas for everyone in your area, some brand name stations add some additives upon pickup from the bulk (refinery) exceptions alway's to this rule.

I am not too sure about that seeing the same tanker here drops off fuel at Esso, Canadian Tire and the Independent Grocer Stations. There is not difference in the fuel dropped at each location.

The thing is, the station in question is one heluva long way from any refinery and if it is coming up to this area, it is usually filling up a lot of stations.

Does anyone know?

I wouldn't worry about it, I always buy the cheapest and never had any issues at high volume stations. That is the key, little backwater stations can have bad gas or water in their tanks.

It all comes out of the same pipe, they just put some additives in when its in the trucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Whatever supplier is cheapest that day.

This answer is most likely correct. With Pioneer gas stations up here, I heard they use a different supplier each month, depending on whichever one will do it the cheapest. So I suspect it would be the same with No Frills (or any of the smaller stations up here)

I think that nowadays you're pretty safe to run any gas out there, as long as the station has a high turnaround and the fuel isn't sitting long. I've been buying gas from both Pioneer and 7-11 lately, even for the Corvette and have had no issues.

This station has very high turnover due to its fuel being 5 cents cheaper per liter than anyone else.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't garbage going into my HEMI tank.

Originally Posted By: BlazerLT
I am not too sure about that seeing the same tanker here drops off fuel at Esso, Canadian Tire and the Independent Grocer Stations. There is not difference in the fuel dropped at each location.

Tankers have seperate compartments and can carry different grades/types of fuel at the same time. You are not getting proprietary additives/detergent packages that exceed EPA minimums from the generics. Does it matter? Perhaps, but around here the generics are only a few cents cheaper, so I usually use Shell or BP.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000

Tankers have seperate compartments and can carry different grades/types of fuel at the same time. You are not getting proprietary additives/detergent packages that exceed EPA minimums from the generics. Does it matter? Perhaps, but around here the generics are only a few cents cheaper, so I usually use Shell or BP.

True. Those tankers are partitioned for different stations. Buying the cheapest gas is not the best option. Not even saving 1% by omitting the additives from your gas.

I am noticing the engine is not runnign as well as it usually does. But the engine idles rough on Esso fuel as well. But the only fuel it runs silky smooth on is Shell. But they wanted 5 cents more per liter which would have be 4 bucks more for the tank fill.

Oh well, live and learn.

There's a reaso for this - all of these stations sell gasoline refied by Imperial Oil.

Imperial is a BIG supplier up here, I'd imagine the No Frills gas is the same.

I think Mac's convinience stores are also Imperial gas.

My experience working at one for a summer in college in NH was the end of brand name tankers. The tankers would not want to return to Boston partially fuel sold they sold the last bit off to us. Interestingly sometimes we got premium into our regular tanks.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

There's a reaso for this - all of these stations sell gasoline refied by Imperial Oil.

Imperial is a BIG supplier up here, I'd imagine the No Frills gas is the same.

I think Mac's convinience stores are also Imperial gas.

That would explain the rougher idle. Esso fuel always runs a little less smoothly but I get better mileage with their fuel. Go figure.

By me we have Quick Chek, Hess, both least expensive, Gulf Cumberland Farms, more expensive, Shell even more expensive, can be $0.10 more then there is the Exxon station that I'm assuming really doesn't want to sell gas because they are $0.28/gal for regular more than Hess & Quick Chek. The Exxon was not always that way but over the last 4 years it became the most expensive station around. I'm guessing the only people who buy there are the ones on fumes and desperate or people feel the convenience is worth it, it's in our small town setting. Of course the Shell station up the street, about ~1/2 mile is $0.15 cheaper
shocked2.gif

Whimsey

One of the no name stations nearby got caught selling gasoline it had bought of of wrecks coming into a local junkyard. They were doing okay until they got an especially bad batch and send a bunch of cars to the mechanic. I doubt this happens very often at all but it does keep me away from the generics in urban areas.

Originally Posted By: calvin1
One of the no name stations nearby got caught selling gasoline it had bought of of wrecks coming into a local junkyard. They were doing okay until they got an especially bad batch and send a bunch of cars to the mechanic. I doubt this happens very often at all but it does keep me away from the generics in urban areas.

I wouldn't think that would happen 99.9% of the time.

True, just like there probably aren't that many actual engines ruined by FRAM filters. However given so many better alternatives I'll never use their product either. This is where that data vs. anecdote thing starts to work in reverse. Data is when a dozen fill-ups out of millions went wrong and shouldn't figure into my decisions at all; anecdote is when a fill-up from some shady station could go wrong for me and take my one and only car off the road. I'll let other people take that risk to save $.03x16=$0.48.

Originally Posted By: calvin1
True, just like there probably aren't that many actual engines ruined by FRAM filters. However given so many better alternatives I'll never use their product either. This is where that data vs. anecdote thing starts to work in reverse. Data is when a dozen fill-ups out of millions went wrong and shouldn't figure into my decisions at all; anecdote is when a fill-up from some shady station could go wrong for me and take my one and only car off the road. I'll let other people take that risk to save $.03x16=$0.48.

True, but my question was mainly towards off brand stations and not some private owned station in the middle of no-where.

As usual, a lot of speculation.

Gasoline is made of two parts:

1. EPA regionally mandated base gas that is generic
2. Additives

As a result, you see same tankers going to both generic and branded stations because the BASE gas is the same and additives are added. Sometimes, they are added prior, but the additive makes the brand the brand.

The additive type/amount and cleanliness of the station's tanks are the only two differentiation factors.

Cleanliness of the tanks is only a factor for short term drivability plugging the fuel filter causing hesitation.

Additives are what prevent carbon build up over time. This is what matters.

Checking the studies done by the car makers is easy - google Top Tier and World Wide Fuel Charter or look at SAE papers on this.

Better additives matter once the car has 50k miles or more and you plan to keep it beyond 100k.

I have personally seen what low additive fuel can do in fleets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back