Who still uses a vacuum with bags?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do. 23-yr old Panasonic. Still works great. Occasionally change the belt when it becomes too stretched.

My now deceased long-haired, seal-point, ragdoll cat used to leave her silky fur everywhere! She was the definition of 'fur-bearing-mammal.'

PS: You must have the most organized, well-run household with 3 border dogs in charge! Great dogs...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^That's the quality that Kenmore used to be famous for...

my parents had a Kenmore that they bought in the very early 80's. Had that thing till I graduated in the late 90's and it was still runnin!

We had a Bosch that we got in the late 2000's and it died recently. Engine was fine, but all the plastic components inside failed (the cord retractor system died 3 months into ownership, then the motor got very weak and wouldn't suck much, regardless of bag level. I took it apart to fix it, but that turned into a can of worms that made it cheaper to just throw it away and get a new vacuum. This new Mighty Mite is very simplistic (which I like) and has great reviews. Looking forward to many years with it

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I do. 23-yr old Panasonic. Still works great. Occasionally change the belt when it becomes too stretched.

My now deceased long-haired, seal-point, ragdoll cat used to leave her silky fur everywhere! She was the definition of 'fur-bearing-mammal.'

PS: You must have the most organized, well-run household with 3 border dogs in charge! Great dogs...

My parents have a sealpoint ragdoll. He is a hair machine. Surprisingly enough, their short hair snowshoe cat is a close second.

They have to vacuum every other day.

My folks and I both have canister bagged models, parents have a Kenmore Elite bought a few years ago, with a HEPA filter, and I have an Sharp from 1998 that uses a non HEPA filter and filtering bags as well. The best thing about canister vacs is that you can get in more places that an upright can't easily reach if at all.

Surprisingly the Kenmore seems to be of very high quality and does a fantastic job, too bad that Sears isn't run by competent executive management.

I have one of these handed down fro the parents that I still use for cleaning the car (been using it for that for thirty years). The vacuum is as old as I am - 49.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeCyUtQE4fc

My house vac is a cheap Eureka Contour that uses bags plus a HEPA filter for the exhaust. Having had both bagged and bagless I prefer bags. I do make efforts to buy only name brand bags, too.

Just bought the new Mayag M1200 a few weeks ago. I love it. It's made in MO -- same plant as Simplicity, Riccar, and Fuller. It's bagged. We retired the Simplicity Symmetry to the basement.

I just put a hepa bag in the shop vac. They are not cheap, but I need to limit dust in the shop while engine is open. There was no loss in power, and they are big bags that should hold a lot of dirt. I've never run a bag in a shop vac before, but I'll be doing it quite a bit from here on out.

I have a more expensive Kenmore canister. I used the better Kenmore bags with "allergen" filtration. It may not be HEPA, but it's not bad. The secondary filter foam remains clean. And the exhaust smell is clean.

I'm very happy with the unit. Plenty of suction and great accessories, including a mini beater brush that is electric. Works great on the car and couch.

The Allergen bags claim to filter 99.7% of all particulates down to 0.1 micron.

Last edited:
We tried two different cyclonic bagless vacuums before giving up on them (Dyson and Hoover Windtunnel). They worked fairly well when new, but as time went by the cyclones would get plugged up with fine dust, and I would have to take the entire thing apart to blow it out with compressed air. Just not worth the aggravation involved.

We now use a vintage Electrolux Discovery upright. It has two powerful motors, one for suction and one for the brush. Bags cost about 40-cents each and are easy to install and dispose of.

I still use the old Hoover upright my grandmother bought at Woolworth's around 1980. She gave it to me about 15 years ago...so far, it has outlasted three replacements and counting, despite having three shedding cats (one a long-haired Maine Coon Cat).

I bought a big box of bags (I think 100) online a while back...still have about half of it left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back