Who still uses a vacuum with bags?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vacuums, specifically dysons are marketed towards males as well as purchased by males. Think over the design cues and the commercials for vacuums.
Despite being thought of as household chore, this now falls in the male domain just like mowing the lawn.

Last edited:
Hoover Platinum Elite HPEA bagger for me. I got a set with an upright and a smaller 'purse' type vacuum. They're very light and I'm sure they filter a lot better than any bagless.

Somewhere I saw a guy testing bag vs. bagless. He set up a light behind the bagless and you could see little dust particles shooting out. I wish I could find that video to link to here...

I'm a guy and the one that usually vacuums.

I HATE the bagless units. We had one. With a dog + cat, every time we were done vacuuming I had to take it outside and dump. And deal with a cloud of dust. Then it would smell so I'd have to wash out the cups and junk.

With the bagged one, we use it, it will smell, change the bag without the dust cloud, and when the new one is in, it's smell free again. No mess, no fuss.

Bags are pretty cheap and are HEPA so its also easy on the allergies. It's a Kenmore (Panasonic) canister and does an awesome job in the cars as well.

I'd never, ever go back to bagless.

Last edited:
I'm still using bag type vacuum (non HEPA, Panasonic canister type).

While I do not object to bagless type (I have a hoover bagless also), but the fact that I have to wash the container to rid of smell and also the filter foam and the air-filter like pleated inner air filter needs frequent washing is what literally turned me off (when both filters are clogged with extra fine dust, the vacuum performance goes down exponantially).

Q.

I have a Eureka on each of 3 floors. Plus one in basement for parts. Identical vacuums.

I buy a quantity (20 or 30) from a online vacuum warehouse.

I have a bag-less one for summer cottage, but its messy.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Vacuums, specifically dysons are marketed towards males as well as purchased by males. Think over the design cues and the commercials for vacuums.

Really? To me, Dyson vacuum is an equivalent of an Apple iPhone. It's sleek looking, but functionality is nothing special.

My wife bought a Dyson because she thought it was cool. I hate that thing with a passion. It's got two different filters to clean and then the process of emptying out the dust compartment is a mess. Hence, I never use it, and neither does my wife since I'm typically the one doing the vacuuming around the house.

I have a bagged Riccar lightweight upright. It doesn't have any tools which I prefer. Bought it a few years ago from a Consumers Reports recommendation. They are still made in the USA. Cant buy the bags locally but six Riccar HEPA bags are $17 on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I have a bagged Riccar lightweight upright. It doesn't have any tools which I prefer. Bought it a few years ago from a Consumers Reports recommendation. They are still made in the USA. Cant buy the bags locally but six Riccar HEPA bags are $17 on Amazon.

Riccar better be good....Just looked them up, and the price tag is staggering!!

We have a Miele and a Panasonic vacuum. Both use bags. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Some of the bag less might be gimmicks, some may work. But I prefer containing the dirt in a bag.

In the old daze the vacuum makers would practically give you a machine just so they could sell you bags forever and ever.

Long term residuals, every business's dream.

We have used Dysons here for over 10 years. Never bought a bag, a filter, or a belt, even in commercial use. A real 5 year warranty at my local vac store. My very first one is still in DAILY use on a truck. Outrageous power and versatility.

Their biggest advantage is cleanability. If you don't clean a vac the scrunge is unreal...

I use an old Kenmore canister model. Still can get bags, but they aren't HEPA and do leak a fair amount of dust, but it doesn't seem to bother anyone in our house, and I open some windows. I'm looking at replacing it but I'm cheap and this one still works well with some Red Green repairs on the hose and handle.... Soon the wheels are going to fall off, but I'll see what I can do about that.

Our next vacuum will be a bagger. We've had two Bissel bagless vacs at home over the past 12 years, and reliability has been fine, but I can't get my wife to clean the filters. I end up cleaning them when I use it, which is probably 25% of its total use. My prompt is that the motor sounds starved for air. I pull the filters and they're caked.

Our garage Shop Vac uses bags. Our next house vacuum will as well.

I have an old Eureka that is probably close to 30 years old and still works perfect. Until that thing dies, I am not buying a new one.

I still use my vintage 80's Eureka upright vacuum. Bags for it are really cheap too. Can still get parts for it as well. Made in USA.

It looks a lot like this one except it doesn't have the world "commercial" on it:

eureka_sc8862.jpg

We have a Miele canister vacuum and love it. I do all the vacuuming in the house along with the hardwood floor cleaning. The rest the wife takes care of.

Love the Miele and we have had it now for 10 years. No issues and the place I bought it from said if it ever needs to be serviced they would provide me with another Miele to use until mine was fixed. Can't go wrong there.

We also get bags in bulk, cost less. We have a yellow lab and it takes about a month of vacuuming to fill up the bag with all the dog hair, among the general dirt.

http://www.amazon.com/Miele-S2121-Olympu...;keywords=miele

I have allergies and I bought a used Kirby G6 with the option of using HEPA filters. I use a MUCH older Kirby (no bag) for my truck and seeing the gunk it pulls up (and not filters out) is amazing. I'll never use that thing inside. I can only imagine what the HEPA filter is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back