who sells time-serts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, we're gonna need A LOT more detail to give you any useful advice.

Which type of thread insert did you get? (helicoil? keensert?)

Was it the right size (you can't trust a parts man to give you the right part- gotta make sure yourself). Are you sure that those head bolts are in fact 12mm X 1.75? I'm not familiar enough with a 22R to know- but others here might.

What size drill bit are you using? You're sure that it's the right one for the THREAD INSERT tap? (not a regular 12mm X 1.75 tap)

Could the previous owner have already drilled the hole out and/or tapped it out for a helicoil? I've seen helicoils come out with the bolt.

There's a good chance that whatever is going on can be fixed, but I'll need more details to be of any help. And pictures would be nice.

I ended up getting a time-sert style insert.The drill bit to use to drill out the hole is 14.75mm. It does not fit in a 1/2" chuck!!! I have been to Lowe's, Home Depot, A tool rental place and NO ONE even sells or rents a bigger drill! !@#$% I'm getting tired of this stuff! I'm going to have to pay for a tow truck to tow my tuck 10 miles away,and maybe wait for an hour so that they can finish the job,then bring it back!Let me guess,there's no such thing as an adapter to use this bigger bit into a smaller chuck,right? thought so.Man, i'm pis*ed!this is the one i got ,http://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-threaded-inserts/=1elliq It's the thread-locking one.

Last edited:
I know how these types of projects go. A quick fix turns into a pain chasing odd tools and parts.

It may be less hassle to have a machine shop turn down the 14.75mm to 1/2".

The next question is do you have a tap handle that will hold the 16 mm tap?

That 14.75mm drill bit is equivalent to a 37/64 standard bit. But as you might recall from a previous post of mine- if you're using a hand drill, I recommend that you use a bit about 1/64" smaller than the recommended size... which would be 9/16" in this case. That's a common enough size, and I'm sure you could find one necked down to 1/2" at just about any tool store.

You can drill a hole that size in an engine block with a hand drill- I've done it before. But you've got to be careful, go as slow as you can (it'll require very little downward pressure since the hole is already 12mm in diameter). It'll make a mess, but you'd might as well just fill the bolt hole with oil (if it's a bottoming hole). Also, get some masking tape, paper, rags, whatever you have handy- and cover up everything else on that deck. The last think you want is to get metal shavings in an oil passage or in a cylinder.

Tom makes a good point about the tap handle. In sticky situations in the past, I have got by turning taps with small 12-point sockets, adjustable wrenches... even vice grips. If you're comfortable using a tap and can get it straight (don't start making threads until you KNOW it's straight), then you can get by this way. But if you're not sure, then that might be the next tool you have to hunt for.

Also, for what it's worth, the required drill for a 12mm X 1.75 helicoil is 31/64- which will fit in a 1/2" drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back