Who says you need 4/AWD for some light offroading?

Was bored and decided to take a trip down to a state forest and check out some of the trails. The Taos handled it well, I think upgrading to the Crossclimate2s really helped with the mud, it did quite a bit better than I expected for a FWD car. The biggest issue wasn't FWD but rather the (lack of) ground clearance (only about 7.5" with these tires). Scraping the bottom on the ground was common, and while there's no damage it definitely requires some care. Not the best time of the year though, with all the snowmelt and rain there was a lot of mud, and I couldn't go more than a few hundred yards down any given trail before running into a big mud pit I wasn't willing to chance. Also no LSD or locker of course, but in sport/ESC sport mode the traction control did an excellent job transferring torque to the wheel with traction, just keep steady throttle and you can feel the power shifting to the other side as needed.

But it handled what I did great, and was great fun! Maybe I'll revisit in the summer when hopefully the trails are a bit less muddy.
20220411_173942.jpg

Last edited:
Other than ground clearance my little fwd Toyota with skinny tires would get through 6 inches of snow with ease.

Nice pic!

VWs current FWD does such a good job I've somewhat abandoned my lost standing belief I wanted AWD again. I intend to put CC2s on the Jetta as well but I wanted to get some more miles out of the OEMs which did surprisingly well this last winter (being new helps).

Back