Who runs Rotella T6 5w40 in their Turbo Gasser?

And both are produced by Shell/Pennzoil...
They are, but there are differences. I was comparing some Shell analysis on Russian site and BMW, and there is difference. BMW TPT 0W40 is completely different from Shell 0W40 and it is PAO not GTL. But made by Shell.

The only HDEO oils i use is Mobil 1 5w40 TDT, I currently use it in my Volkswagen beetle 1.8T. I always knew about Rotella T6 but never tried it since they removed the SN category. I mix-up the Mobil 1 5w40 TDT with Valvoline european 5w40 sometimes.

The only HDEO oils i use is Mobil 1 5w40 TDT, I currently use it in my Volkswagen beetle 1.8T. I always knew about Rotella T6 but never tried it since they removed the SN category. I mix-up the Mobil 1 5w40 TDT with Valvoline european 5w40 sometimes.
TDT pack 1,300ppm of ZDDP. It is stout package, but if car burns oil, not very kind to catalytic converter.

Edyvw, so I changed the oil on the X3 today, put in the Motul X-Cess 5w40 Gen2. What a difference!!! Noticeably quieter idle. I'd say 90% of the clatter noise the n20 made is gone now. This is coming from famous Castrol 0w40. I am impressed with Motul. What makes it so special?

Edyvw, so I changed the oil on the X3 today, put in the Motul X-Cess 5w40 Gen2. What a difference!!! Noticeably quieter idle. I'd say 90% of the clatter noise the n20 made is gone now. This is coming from famous Castrol 0w40. I am impressed with Motul. What makes it so special?
Where did you buy it from?

I don't get the obsession with this oil in gas engines when there are great for-purpose oils out there. Folks love it. I just think it's b/c they want to be different and say "I run Rotella"..hahahah

I don't get the obsession with this oil in gas engines when there are great for-purpose oils out there. Folks love it. I just think it's b/c they want to be different and say "I run Rotella"..hahahah

Probably urban legend from other forums that came to BITOG like the plague. T6 is a HDEO not a PCMO. Flame suit on

I don't even think it's a dual rated oil anymore. Now strictly diesel.

Last edited:
I said this before, T6 was used a lot by folks running EA113 and other TFSI engines some 10 years ago. It was thick W40 and helped with fuel dilution.

Motul knows how to make good oils. This Gen2 seems to be really stout stuff. After 5K do everyone a favor and send oil sample to Blackstone so we can see how it did.

So should I go with this same oil for summer also? I see 215F oil temp in winter but summer 250F. Can I just go to a 50wt for summer? Just a FYI no cat in the n20 so not worried about high zinc/phos levels.

So should I go with this same oil for summer also? I see 215F oil temp in winter but summer 250F. Can I just go to a 50wt for summer? Just a FYI no cat in the n20 so not worried about high zinc/phos levels.
No, stay with same oil. I run on track M1 0W40 and I have seen temperatures hitting 293f.
250f is nothing for that oil. That is around 120c. BMW's run regularly around 109-113c. Don't forget BMW runs in that engine now 0W20 oil if you change it in dealership.
Also, if you are really concerned with oil temperature, why not retrofitting it with oil cooler? I am doing that project now. You can get on eBay used cooler with lines for $200. You already should have oil filter housing that has heat exchanger on it. Just take out heat exchanger and put oil thermostat, then run oil cooler lines from thermostat to cooler.
Basically same cooler and lines your 135i has.

4si12i.jpg

Back