Who runs Rotella T6 5w40 in their Turbo Gasser?

Switching from Castrol 0w40 to Rotella T6 5w40 in my BMW X3 n20 (4cyl turbo). Has a mild tune and was thinking 5k intervals. I'd say 75%+ highway but does get driven hard. Being a diesel oil is it a good switch or stay Castrol? Many turbo guys swear by it.

I ran that in the Evo but I have zero scientific claim as of why I switched. It was whatever I felt like between M1-EP, Amsoil Signature, or Rotella T6.

Switching from Castrol 0w40 to Rotella T6 5w40 in my BMW X3 n20 (4cyl turbo). Has a mild tune and was thinking 5k intervals. I'd say 75%+ highway but does get driven hard. Being a diesel oil is it a good switch or stay Castrol? Many turbo guys swear by it.
Nope. I would not run. In N20 I would run strictly LL01. You have better oils made for engines like N20. BMW TPT 5W30 is an exceptional oil, and I would say much better fit your N20. You cans till get on eBay BMW TPT 0W40 M Performance. Motul X-Cess 5W40 Gen2 has really strong HTHS and is LL01.
Reason why I would run LL01 strictly in that engine is that 2018 update of LL01 has specific N20 engine test. Considering timing chain issues on N20, I would strictly stick to LL01.
Turbo will be fine. People are running that engine on track using BMW TPT 5W30.

You know the type of responses you'll likely get: "What does the manual specify?"

IMO, T6 is a great oil. I've used it in older Audi 1.8TQ with a tune, a Passat 1.8T stock, a Passat 2.0T stock, and even my Yamaha FZ6.

I've also used it repeatedly in TDIs with great results, which is common since it's a great HDEO.

For my tuned X3d, I chose Pennzoil Plantinum Euro L for my first oil change, but I'm getting ready to pour in Motul X-Clean+ 8100 (today actually).

You know the type of responses you'll likely get: "What does the manual specify?"

IMO, T6 is a great oil. I've used it in older Audi 1.8TQ with a tune, a Passat 1.8T stock, a Passat 2.0T stock, and even my Yamaha FZ6.

I've also used it repeatedly in TDIs with great results, which is common since it's a great HDEO.

For my tuned X3d, I chose Pennzoil Plantinum Euro L for my first oil change, but I'm getting ready to pour in Motul X-Clean+ 8100 (today actually).
Again, updated LL01 has specific N20 test. It is not turbo that is issue, it is timing chain on N20 that I would worry about.

Yes I am worried about my timing chain as my year is prone to it. Also, what about redline 5w40?
No, it is not approved. Your mild tune and hard driving on the road are nothing for any oils I listed. Now, not sure why you saying that 375hp out of 4cyl is mild tune, but whatever. Include in that Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.
I personally would go with Motul X-Cess 5W40 Gen2 considering your tune. It has HTHS 3.8.
Redline is good on track. It is oil with specific intention.

No, it is not approved. Your mild tune and hard driving on the road are nothing for any oils I listed. Now, not sure why you saying that 375hp out of 4cyl is mild tune, but whatever. Include in that Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.
I personally would go with Motul X-Cess 5W40 Gen2 considering your tune. It has HTHS 3.8.
Redline is good on track. It is oil with specific intention.
Got it, no I backed the tune down to maybe 320hp now. Would be nice to pick oil up locally and not deal with shipping. I have noticed Castrol 5w40 now has LL01 approval. But yeah I might just stick with Motul.

Got it, no I backed the tune down to maybe 320hp now. Would be nice to pick oil up locally and not deal with shipping. I have noticed Castrol 5w40 now has LL01 approval. But yeah I might just stick with Motul.
I would not go Castrol 5W40. It is nothing special.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 goes on sale all the time in Advance Auto Parts for $33 and filter. Local AAP here gives me MANN filter with that deal (they have all synthetics on deal). So check that. Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle is also looking good, HTHS 3.7.
But, I personally would stick to Motul or PP Euro.

i used this stuff like 10 years ago. in the year 2020 with so many synthetic options around and t6 sitting at a wallet crushing 22 bucks a gallon....i’m out

It is not turbo that is issue, it is timing chain on N20 that I would worry about.

Agreed, that would be my primary concern too. LL-01 is a tough spec to beat, so if OP can find oil locally, like at NAPA which oftentimes carries LiquiMoly products, that's an option too.

Agreed, that would be my primary concern too. LL-01 is a tough spec to beat, so if OP can find oil locally, like at NAPA which oftentimes carries LiquiMoly products, that's an option too.
LL01 is stringent, but not as MB229.5 or Porsche A40.
LM is nothing special.

If price matters, this is "recommended" for LL-01, HTHS 3.7 and currently on sale:
Valvoline 0w-40 $19.65 / 5 qt
Recommended is not same as approved.
Older BMW engines can run oils like this one. I run M1 0W40. But 2018 LL01 update specifically included N20 engine test.
IMO, running Valvoline 0W40, M1 0W40 (which I would not in DI engine), Castrol 0W40 should be fine. But we do not know that as BMW update excluded 0W oils with HTHS above 3.5. My take is they cannot meet ridiculously stringent oxidation requirements (probably to further increase OCI) and protect gaskets by eliminating PAO.

Good suggestions from edyvw.

As far as T6 goes, it's been a popular alternative oil for gassers for a long time, but I believe Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 is a better choice than T6 in a gasser.

Good suggestions from edyvw.

As far as T6 goes, it's been a popular alternative oil for gassers for a long time, but I believe Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 is a better choice than T6 in a gasser.
T6 was popular in VW's bcs. very high KV100 which was desirable in fuel dilution monsters. But even that T6 was not anything special. If you remember name of the game was Castrol Syntec 0W30 at that time.

Back