Who runs high mileage car? And how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by 96' maxima man:
Hey: I just joined the group! I have a 96 nissan maxima, bought three weeks ago from original owner with all documented oil changes every 3k mile, currently has 115 k miles,looking for suggestions on whether to go to synthentic for the best protection and if so proper procedure in switching over. Thanks Guys!

welcome.gif

There's lots of good info on this forum that will answer all your questions above, just poke around and read up and you'll learn everything you need to know in order to make an educated decision. There is no "best oil" out there, but there sure are a lot of good ones. You can go wrong choosing an oil from the following: Schaeffers, Redline, Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and many more.

More than likely you can switch straight over to synthetic with no worries, but if you feel the engine might be slightly dirty inside, put a bottle of Auto-rx in first to clean it out. That product is found here: www.auto-rx.com Many of us have used it with great results. It helps to have a clean slate inside the engine when starting with a new oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Cressida:
offtopic.gif

Let's not be so hard on the accountants as most of them "do it by the book" and document every time someone touches their car. At least I do and I was trained as an accountant but burned out after the numbers kept jumping off of the pages! I should have gone to work for Enron
grin.gif

Cressida,
apologies about being hard on accountants. As you post, there are some decent ones.

However, I'm biased, as the finance people at work insist that their (business funded, private use) vehicles are serviced by the book. Then insist that my turbine maintenance budget be reduced by (another) 10%, and outages extended from 3 to 4 years.

Up until it was totalled in a recent accident,my wife's 1993 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L had 152,000 on it.Started off using 10w30 Quaker State/Fram filter,then switched to Mobil 10w30 after 100k.Engine always ran great.Only items replaceed were water pump,radiator,front brake pads(2x)3 sets of tires(last set was almost new)fuel filter and trans fluid changed every 15K,oil and filter every 3K.Her new replacement Jeep(a 99)will get Super Tech 10w30 along with a ST filter every 3k.

Fillherup,
My 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon has 192,000 miles on, using Mobil 1 10-30 and Mobil 1 filters for the first 100,000, then adding a bypass filter and Amsoil 0-30 for the next 100,000 or more, hopefully. I've had to do the regular maintenance thing, cv joints, timing belt, etc., but no engine anything. The little 2.2 l. just keeps purring.
Trinket

I have still in the family a 1986 VW Jetta with 1.8ltr 4 cyl gas.

We Bought it new, changed the oil with what ever way on sale 20-50 durning the summer and 10-30 for the winter (Mostly Halvoline) All Dino oil and always Fram filters (before I knew better). Brakes, Tires, Battery and Timing Belts.

Still has orginal Hoses (really) , Injectors, water pump, etc. Orginal Clutch and CV joints. Never changed the oil in transaxle yet! (Will this spring)

Runs like it's new still. 225,000 miles. I wish I never gave it to my sister in law at 200k. Esp with gas at $1.60 per gallon.
pat.gif

I'm still impressed with it every time I ride in it. Best $10k new car out the door I've ever seen.
bowdown.gif

Take care, Bill

PS: Yes, it does have rust on it where the door dings are and around the windshield... We do salt the roads here in Utah.. Better to rust than run off the road and hit a tree...
rolleyes.gif

[ February 17, 2003, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Bill in Utah ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back