Who Pre Ordered the iPhone 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah those samsung commercials seem to be more of a making fun of the hipster type, maybe not an attack, more of a we want you here and are catering to your kind.

So they are advocating the same kind of acquisition behavior that rg200amp got a hard time on for the iphone (remember, the cost to get an SGIII is the same to the end user as an iphone 5), but because it is a samsung, its probably OK, right? LOL!

At least with the Samsung (which is cheaper since you have competition selling them vs the Apple "experience") you are getting a unlocked phone that can be used on competitive carriers.

They also allow you set settings without having to resort to "jailbreaking" and such.

And when it comes time to replace batteries you don't have to experience the "experience" and void any warranty.

Bill

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Originally Posted By: scottyducati
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWnunavN4bQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Funny commercials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv2tt1rvZZ0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Samsung commercials talk more about the iPhone than their own product. . .

Here is Apple's simple ad against the S3

What's interesting is that I have no problem using my thumb in the same manner on the S3
21.gif
I'm using it that way right now. I sit it on my baby finger with the base of it tucked into the bottom middle of my palm (like shown in the picture for the video, but with my little finger underneath it) and use my thumb on the screen. I could see somebody with tiny hands not being able to do it, but for most guys, it shouldn't be an issue I would think?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
At least with the Samsung (which is cheaper since you have competition selling them vs the Apple "experience") you are getting a unlocked phone that can be used on competitive carriers.

They also allow you set settings without having to resort to "jailbreaking" and such.

And when it comes time to replace batteries you don't have to experience the "experience" and void any warranty.

Bill

The typical user buys a phone on a contract extension, and it costs the SAME if they get an SGIII or an iPhone 5.

I don't know what experience you are speaking of. Even the Samsung commercials up above are catering to the hipster crowd, do there really isn't any difference.

And my survey from amazon from a few weeks back showed the iPhone and SG3 selling unlocked for very close price.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

What's interesting is that I have no problem using my thumb in the same manner on the S3
21.gif
I'm using it that way right now. I sit it on my baby finger with the base of it tucked into the bottom middle of my palm (like shown in the picture for the video, but with my little finger underneath it) and use my thumb on the screen. I could see somebody with tiny hands not being able to do it, but for most guys, it shouldn't be an issue I would think?

I have big hands, but even the iPhone 5 was getting obnoxiously big.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

21.gif

I have big hands, but even the iPhone 5 was getting obnoxiously big.

Yes, but you've detailed why you think it is too big, and it isn't due to not being able to navigate the screen with your thumb in single handed use, which is what my response to the video was targeting
smile.gif

True, but what I didnt say is that it was indeed a stretch to get from the bottom how I comfortably hold the phone, to the very top in the 5.

Its not that it isnt doable - it can be done. The range that is required on the 4s is just more natural. Isnt one of the keys of ergonomics to not have to stretch beyond a natural range?

Now who is going to patent that the thumb and finger stretching from big screens is actually an exercise that is good for your joints to prevent arthritis?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Bill

The typical user buys a phone on a contract extension, and it costs the SAME if they get an SGIII or an iPhone 5.

I don't know what experience you are speaking of. Even the Samsung commercials up above are catering to the hipster crowd, do there really isn't any difference.

And my survey from amazon from a few weeks back showed the iPhone and SG3 selling unlocked for very close price.

About the best deal I've seen for the iPhone 5 is paying retail through Verizon. It is dual CDMA GSM and unlocked on the GSM side. Its only around $650 for the 16gb. Some eBay sellers are asking nearly $1000.

I don't like buying phones like S3s since they are designed for carriers and tend not to be factory unlocked. Usually a grey market retailer software unlocks them and there is no guarantee they stay permanently unlocked. I guess you can get the internationalversion but then there is no US warranty.

Do you really think youre getting it for less when you pay $199 and then a high monthly contract fee with the carrier?

Feel free to carry an old nokia brick if desired. They actually were great phones, and Im sure you can get one for $20 these days.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Relative to eBay prices or what others charge.

An article I linked to on another one of these threads stated that Apple's wholesale price is like $600, and Samsung sells wholesale in the range of $4-600, depending upon the deal the carrier or wholesaler gets. Ill see if i can find the link again.

its not like an SGIII is magically a $200 phone and Apple is just charging that much more.

Last edited:

An article I linked to on another one of these threads stated that Apple's wholesale price is like $600, and Samsung sells wholesale in the range of $4-600, depending upon the deal the carrier or wholesaler gets. Ill see if i can find the link again.

its not like an SGIII is magically a $200 phone and Apple is just charging that much more.

I agree. There is a lot of consumer confusion in the wireless industry and a lot of profits come from leveraging this confusion. A galaxy s3 on a $90 monthly plan for $199 is certainly not a good deal in the long run. That's why I like to separate my phone purchase from my wireless plan purchase. Its just like buying a car. Don't let them bundle the price of the car with the financing terms.

PS my last post was meant for greggy D

Last edited:

I agree. There is a lot of consumer confusion in the wireless industry and a lot of profits come from leveraging this confusion. A galaxy s3 on a $90 monthly plan for $199 is certainly not a good deal in the long run. That's why I like to separate my phone purchase from my wireless plan purchase. Its just like buying a car. Don't let them bundle the price of the car with the financing terms.

PS my last post was meant for greggy D

Depends on your terms with your provider. We have a corporate plan with Rogers. We get better pricing than what is available on any consumer plan, contract or not, and get device upgrades (that require you renew your term) at new contract pricing. My SGS3 was $150.00. If I were to buy the phone outright and get no contract pricing, I'd be paying much more a month than what I am paying currently.

You could be right. I should qualify my statement by saying I am talking purely consumer retail in the us.

But the main point is that an SGIII is NOT a $150 phone when it is wholesaled from Samsung - it is at least 3x that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back