Who Pre Ordered the iPhone 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops I had a brain [censored]. I meant to say Simple Mobile not Boost Mobile. Boost mobile is CDMA not GSM.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
For example T-Mobile monthy4g plans are around $60 for unlimited call/text and 2g of 4g. Their contract equivalent is around $80. But you don't even have to stay with the carrier. If you have a GSM iPhone, you can use Boost (T-Mobile network) or Red Pocket Mobile (ATT network). These pans are monthly and cheaper than T-Mobile or ATT.

Of course if you have a big family and friends network that can call you for free then it may make more sense to stay with the contract.

Thing is that I boycott texting as the largest consumer ripoff product, and we have ach line at 9.99.

So While my line is around $80 - 15%, my wife's is $25, and so we average $41.50 per line on AT&T.

So unless these other plans somehow let you get around the other taxes and fees, I dont see a compelling benefit cost-wise to what we have.

Now if I could get some minutes and unlimited data (3Gig is OK) for, say, $30/line and less/no taxes, then we would be on to something!

I think T-Mobile does have a$30 100 minute 5gb data plan. But your deal sounds sweet already. So I'm not sure its work the hassle of switching.

I am strictly on pay as you go since I am always near wifi and a landline when I am at home and work. When I leave down I have a T-Mobile app that let's me turn on unlimited talk and data for $3 a day. Over a 12 month period I avg $15 a month and have all the minutes and 4g data I need.

$3 a day is pretty good. How do you turn it on or off. Do you always have the ability to accept calls, or do you get stuck if you havent activated for the day?

It'll accept calls but charges 10 cents a minute on pay as you go status. When you are on $3 daily plan, it just charges a flat rate unlimited calls.

You have an online T-Mobile account which you add credit to as needed. Then there is an app you download. You can switch from pay as you go to $3 day (and vice versa) either on the app or online on the computer.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Yep!! I was up at 3:30am last night preordering two iPhone 5s. Both contracts were not due for a upgrade until next year. So $1400 later, I'll have em on the release day! Can't wait!!!

Where is the $1400 value of moving from the 4s to the 5? What benefits could you gain that are actually worth $1400? I'm not seeing it.

me neither. somethings I just don't get why people do.

Originally Posted By: scottyducati
Why do they have such out dated hardware in the iphone 5? The hardware specs are pretty last year...

Have you considered knowing about a topic, before you talk about it?!?!?

The iPhone 5 is the fastest smartphone.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410034,00.asp

Not that specs matter as much as people like to think. User experience is what matters.

I just thought they would put more horsepower underneath it.. phones have had those hardware benchmarks for quite a while.

Last edited:
Some interesting links:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks
http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

This is the "source" for the CNET/PC Mag data. Appears they may have inflated some figures based on the above.

It is certainly faster in many things (I posted my own personal results as you recall) than the dual core S3, but it will be interesting to see what Jelly Bean brings to the table in terms of changing the benchmark results, since I know it brings the dual core S3 up to the levels currently reported by the quad core version (1700+ in Geekbench).

I think what we are seeing (and you touched upon this earlier rg200amp) is the result of the software and hardware being designed together by the same manufacturer, assuring they are optimized for each other.

Just got back from Las Vegas and found something interesting.

Went first to their big mall (Fashion something) and walked by the Apple store. They made a big deal about if I was there for my iPhone5? Told them no and they said go ahead and enter. They had an area to the right of the store in front of their store roped off for a line (which their was no one) for iPhone5 customers.
21.gif

That was Saturday. Today I went to the Forum shops at Caesars (VERY impressive place) and came upon the Apple store there. Just for giggles went towards the front and same thing (as far as the "line" and question) so I told them no just looking and they let me in. Decided to ask him a few questions.

1. How many iPhones do you have for immed sale? Asked me how many would I like to buy (in a joke) and then said "many". Asked him more or less than 100 and he said quite a few while making a upwards sign with his finger.

2. Whats the deal with the asking customers if they are there for the iPhone5? He said they are to put them in the line in front of the store and have them wait till the next guy is available to make it look that they have a demand for the product and create a buzz. It makes the Customer think that they are getting something special (an expensive phone is special IMB) and feel better about the "experience" which I can see their point.

In comparison I went to the Sony store and they have up front their Xperia line and all of them say in big words "UNLOCKED and NO CONTRACT use your choice of cell phone company" on each phone. Asked them how many do they sell (their top of the line phone was $519 and the lowest was right at $389) and she said a lot. Again it must be a national secret and would not say any more. (off subject. Their Tablet is very nice!)

Both stores had quite a few folks in them.

If you are ever in Las Vegas you have to see the entrance to the Caesar forum shops from Las Vegas BLVD. Amazing!

And if you can't find a iPhone5 both stores have plenty. I even touched and played with both the iPhone4s and iPhone5 for 15 minutes. The iPads were getting more attention in both stores IMO.

Also quite a bit of comments (between customers looking at iPhone5 (not buying) and Apple "genesis") of the changing of ports and people not happy with having to spend $30 per device to get some adapter that does not work.

Take care, Bill

Got mine on friday. When I opened the box it had some blemishes, barely noticeable, but present. went to the apple store and they gave me a new one. (this is the black iPhone 5)
the battery life on this seems to be at least 30% better than my old iPhone 4 and thats with the larger screen, faster processor, LTE, ect. with basically the same sized battery.

Why do they have such out dated hardware in the iphone 5? The hardware specs are pretty last year...

Not that specs matter as much as people like to think. User experience is what matters.

Wow I think I struck a nerve... im talking about a phone not your sister...

Wow I think I struck a nerve... im talking about a phone not your sister...

You don't know what your talking about. Yes. It bothers me when people try to sound like they know what their talking about when they really don't.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Just got back from Las Vegas and found something interesting.

Went first to their big mall (Fashion something) and walked by the Apple store. They made a big deal about if I was there for my iPhone5? Told them no and they said go ahead and enter. They had an area to the right of the store in front of their store roped off for a line (which their was no one) for iPhone5 customers.
21.gif

That was Saturday. Today I went to the Forum shops at Caesars (VERY impressive place) and came upon the Apple store there. Just for giggles went towards the front and same thing (as far as the "line" and question) so I told them no just looking and they let me in. Decided to ask him a few questions.

1. How many iPhones do you have for immed sale? Asked me how many would I like to buy (in a joke) and then said "many". Asked him more or less than 100 and he said quite a few while making a upwards sign with his finger.

2. Whats the deal with the asking customers if they are there for the iPhone5? He said they are to put them in the line in front of the store and have them wait till the next guy is available to make it look that they have a demand for the product and create a buzz. It makes the Customer think that they are getting something special (an expensive phone is special IMB) and feel better about the "experience" which I can see their point.

In comparison I went to the Sony store and they have up front their Xperia line and all of them say in big words "UNLOCKED and NO CONTRACT use your choice of cell phone company" on each phone. Asked them how many do they sell (their top of the line phone was $519 and the lowest was right at $389) and she said a lot. Again it must be a national secret and would not say any more. (off subject. Their Tablet is very nice!)

Both stores had quite a few folks in them.

If you are ever in Las Vegas you have to see the entrance to the Caesar forum shops from Las Vegas BLVD. Amazing!

And if you can't find a iPhone5 both stores have plenty. I even touched and played with both the iPhone4s and iPhone5 for 15 minutes. The iPads were getting more attention in both stores IMO.

Also quite a bit of comments (between customers looking at iPhone5 (not buying) and Apple "genesis") of the changing of ports and people not happy with having to spend $30 per device to get some adapter that does not work.

Take care, Bill

They have the line because the many people trying to buy the new iPhone would swamp the store and cripple day to day operations.

Apple stores are jammed pack on any weekend day. Add the release of a new product, let alone a iPhone, it would be crazy. Apple has countless other products to sell and countless other customers looking for service/support.

So Apple sets up the line and sets a number of staff to deal with nothing but iPhone buyers. That way the rest of the store is still somewhat operating on a normal level.

It's no big conspiracy.

As for the new charger: it was needed.

The internal mount for the old 30pin connector was thicker than the iPhone 5s frame. To go slimmer, they needed to change the connector. The old on had almost a 10year run.

It was due for a change. Most people take the discontinuation of legacy hardware badly at first.

That just the way it is.

The cables are $19 and the adapters are $30.

Both work fine. And if yours does not for some reason, Apple will replace or refund it.

Did you miss the part where Bill said the line was empty?

It is a classic move to create buzz, the same is with spreading rumors that all iPhones will be sold out in one day. Apple wants people to camp for days in front of their store, so is every other company, but only Apple and few others can pull it off.
Why do you think stores have fire sales? Stop apologizing for Apple!

I understand you like Apple, but seriously you're sounding like an apple shill when you have to respond to every single negative comment about them.

My feelings of iPhone 4s(own) vs iPhone 5 trying both.

The iPhone 5 almost feels cheap maybe due to weight(less) and lack of glass on back.

Screen real estate is wonderful and not some silly Android oversized phone.

I did not see a discernible different in using applications (Facebook, mail) on wifi. Unfortunately no 4g here which is the major bonus.

Camera is better especially low light.

Mapping is iOs6 specific but the navigation is dreadful even compared to my prior Droid Incredible. Why apple could not just get Google to be the provider of Google's superior product I have no idea. Google absolutely crushes them. Google navigation was my all time favorite application on my prior Droid Incredible.

This will be simple...

This is my first Apple phone and it is by far the best phone I have ever had. I am old fashion and do not change... LOL... I resisted the move to Apple.

Is it better then the 4S, YES(been told this by more then a few heavy users that acquired the new phone....

Most people that reject the newer phone or have criticized it, do not own it. BUT the 4s's are still better then most other phones on the market. If you have an upgrade, then buy the new phone. If not, stay with the 4S and be happy.

The Apple phone is evolving, so get used to it people...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back