Who Pre Ordered the iPhone 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Did you miss the part where Bill said the line was empty?

It is a classic move to create buzz, the same is with spreading rumors that all iPhones will be sold out in one day. Apple wants people to camp for days in front of their store, so is every other company, but only Apple and few others can pull it off.
Why do you think stores have fire sales? Stop apologizing for Apple!

I understand you like Apple, but seriously you're sounding like an apple shill when you have to respond to every single negative comment about them.

So this makes sense. Nothing sells phones better than setting up an empty line!

you guys want Apple to have some sinister reasoning for why they do things. The line is their because of the reason I stated. I was at a Apple store on Saturday and the line had 30+ people in it.

Apple set up the policy for all stores to set up lines for the release weekend of the iPhone and to set aside a number of staff to just Handel iPhone buyers.

The reasoning is so they can have their stores and store employees selling all of their products and handling the normal day to day customers.

The line may be empty for hours, it may be empty all day. But it is store policy to have the line set up in case there is a cluster of buyers (lunch hours, after work hours, random time, ect).

It's not to "creat buzz". It's to deal with the "buzz" as best they can, while still maintaining the ability to sell the day to day customers $2000 laptops. If iPhone buyers could just walk into the store at anytime, it runs the risk of tying up sales staff who could be selling something to an average buyer.

You can all take your tin foil hats off.

yea. I stick up for Apple. I like the company and products they make. I mean, does this forum only allow talk that puts down Apple?

The phone has been great so far. Speed + battery improvements have been the biggest pros for me. I am actually going to suck it up and pay the restocking fee and go white though.

Always liked the black iPhones but in person I feel the white/silver is nicer this time around. Apple hit a home run with this one.

Also blemishes and scuffs are a real thing for the black phones it seems. The painted aluminum band is looking to have a lot of silver marks in it down the road.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Did you miss the part where Bill said the line was empty?

It is a classic move to create buzz, the same is with spreading rumors that all iPhones will be sold out in one day. Apple wants people to camp for days in front of their store, so is every other company, but only Apple and few others can pull it off.
Why do you think stores have fire sales? Stop apologizing for Apple!

I understand you like Apple, but seriously you're sounding like an apple shill when you have to respond to every single negative comment about them.

Well, we happened to be at a mall outside Philadelphia, and there was a serpentine line set up for iphone 5 buyers. The iPhone 5 was sold out, they had a big sign. I wanted to see it, just for kicks since I was there, and the store was PACKED. The iphones were near the front of the store, and I heard at least three people walk up and ask if they had any in stock.

Maybe the interest in Las Vegas is aligned to their real estate woes. Not sure. But in real suburbia, they are all gone, FWIW.

Not sure how much it matters though. If the item is selling, and the manufacturer is stating how it is selling, is it within our capability to speculate beyond that? I saw a news article that said essentially that 5 days was the same number of sales as the 4s in its first month.

Ill not be buying one, but it is impossible to speculate on anything based upon one spot check here or there.

Those are remarkable sales numbers. What's even more remarkable is apple shares actually dropped on that announcement (down 1.32% currently ) because analysts had expected 8 million. When a company sets new sales records and the market is disappointed, that makes me nervous about future upside. Share prices mostly move up based on surprise upside info and I'm wondering if all the positive info of the iPhone 5 launch was priced in when shares went from $575 to $704.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Those are remarkable sales numbers. What's even more remarkable is apple shares actually dropped on that announcement (down 1.32% currently ) because analysts had expected 8 million. When a company sets new sales records and the market is disappointed, that makes me nervous about future upside. Share prices mostly move up based on surprise upside info and I'm wondering if all the positive info of the iPhone 5 launch was priced in when shares went from $575 to $704.

Probably so. Apple is in the unenviable position where investors and the talking heads have come to expect nothing but absolute perfection and out-of-the-park numbers for everything they do. No company can possibly live up to that.

I have no plans to change my position in AAPL in either direction at the moment.

Yep the short term test will come at the 50day sma. I think long term this stock has room to move once Apple announces the next round of new products. Their fundamentals are good.

I heard on the radio that there are riots at Foxconn. Guess that won't be helpful to the share price.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
Here is some more bench marks. the apple products defiantly have more powerful graphics, even the 4s beats the GS3 in graphics benchmarks.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-iphone-5-performance-preview

The 4S only beats it in the on-screen tests, which makes sense, since it runs a lower resolution. The offscreen results are far more telling.

The 5 however, regardless of still having a slightly lower res, is significantly faster. And I can't see a software upgrade on the SGS3 making up for that kind of difference. It just has a much faster GPU (the iPhone 5).

Originally Posted By: Win
I heard on the radio that there are riots at Foxconn. Guess that won't be helpful to the share price.

Yes, 2000 people involved, 40 injured. A car set on fire....etc.

Originally Posted By: Win

It won't make a notable difference. No one in the states really cares. The only reason it even makes the news is because they make Apple products. And that's all people want to hear about.

Who cares Foxconn builds Xbox360, Playstation 3, Dell Computers, Acer products, Vizio products, Amazon kindles, intel, HP, Cisco, Nokia, ect. . .

If Apple could not be worked into the headline, no one would even of heard of the riot. . . .

Well, as I said before about the iPhone being sold out at our Apple store and a TON of people being in the store and asking about it despite a large sign being up saying "sold out", I did have a chance to check it out.

I am a big fan of thin phones. I also like reasonable size phones, because I often keep them in my pants or shirt pocket. Phones like the Samsung galaxy 3, though awesome, are way too big. Plus I'll never watch movies on one of them because it is too small for that. The iPhone 5 is thin. Very thin, very light, and while perhaps it is due to the anti-glare screen protector, the screen looked sharper than my 4S. I think the pixel pitch is the same, so that's likely a fluke.

What I didn't like is the length. Big screen, more on it, one hand use, that's all great. But the length of it means that while it's not bulky like some other large-screen phones, it is just plain too long. Case in point - I was wearing a pocket T-shirt that I got from a fishing tournament. Somewhat typical of what I would wear it just hanging around the house, or dressing really low key. My 4 S sits neatly just below the top of the pocket, fitting perfectly yet hidden. The iPhone five sticks out by at least a half inch, which makes it very likely that it will fall out with the slightest bend down. That's how screens break. And a dress shirt pocket, there is about a half inch between where the iPhone 4S ends and the top of the pocket is. Thing is, while the 4s could hide neatly below the top of the pocket, the iPhone 5 will be right up there at the very top, again very much more likely to fall out. And frankly with a longer phone, it will be more intrusive having it sit in my pocket, which is where I'm going to have to keep it more often.

I really hope that Apple comes out with an iPhone 5Sm, which retains the current form factor. If rumors are true that they're going to make a smaller iPad, hopefully they keep the smaller screen of the existing model phone, and perhaps even sell it at a slightly lower cost point. That would really be the best of all worlds because the retina display is great, but I don't need to be paying for a bigger screen or a bigger battery to feed the screen, I just want the rest of the goodies of a new phone, in the current shape.

I'm liking new iPhone from a thickness and weight perspective, but my complaint is that it is just a little bit too long for my liking.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
while perhaps it is due to the anti-glare screen protector, the screen looked sharper than my 4S. I think the pixel pitch is the same, so that's likely a fluke.

Screen protectors can take a lot out of a screen, and it depends a lot on the material and surface type. It's very likely that your screen protector is worsening the contrast of your 4S screen. I have a screen protector that is not anti-glare on my 4S and it's like it's not even on there. Anti-glare ones seem to be the worst in my opinion, in terms of worsening the look of a display. I would suggest trying a different screen protector if it ends up annoying you.

On the other hand, I have heard that depsite retaining the same pixel density as the 4S, the 5 has display improvements, like better colorization and better contrast. I haven't seen one in person to compare, but I will soon. Someone at work pre-ordered one through a friend at Verizon, and he expects to have it sometime this week.

interesting. It did look really good. perhaps Ill go get a new, non-ag protector, and pull the old one off in the apple store to compare.

The new screen really did look really good in terms of color, they really popped.

interesting. It did look really good. perhaps Ill go get a new, non-ag protector, and pull the old one off in the apple store to compare.

The new screen really did look really good in terms of color, they really popped.

Color saturation is 40+% higher in the 5 compared to the 4S.
An the 5 is the only phone that meets sRGB.

Also, the touch sensors are directly on the display unlike the 4s where there was a separate touch screen placed over the display. Less "stuff" for the light to get through and better colors, so your right. Even though it is the same PPI, the 5 will "look" better.

So it really did! Excellent, I really did like that screen.

Now where is the "legacy size" iphone 5?

What I didn't like is the length. Big screen, more on it, one hand use, that's all great. But the length of it means that while it's not bulky like some other large-screen phones, it is just plain too long. Case in point - I was wearing a pocket T-shirt that I got from a fishing tournament. Somewhat typical of what I would wear it just hanging around the house, or dressing really low key. My 4 S sits neatly just below the top of the pocket, fitting perfectly yet hidden. The iPhone five sticks out by at least a half inch, which makes it very likely that it will fall out with the slightest bend down. That's how screens break. And a dress shirt pocket, there is about a half inch between where the iPhone 4S ends and the top of the pocket is. Thing is, while the 4s could hide neatly below the top of the pocket, the iPhone 5 will be right up there at the very top, again very much more likely to fall out. And frankly with a longer phone, it will be more intrusive having it sit in my pocket, which is where I'm going to have to keep it more often.

Bass Pro Shop will now have shirts with longer/deeper pockets to fit the iphone5.
laugh.gif

haha... Yep, we've moved from the era of cigarette pack-sized t-shirt pockets to the era of Samsung Galaxy III sized pockets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back