Who Pre Ordered the iPhone 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - I like 4s size - size perfect for my use, speed/RAM whatever is more than what I need - and I will have all the SW enhancements of ios-6 anyway -

can't think of a better combo

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I am not. I certainly won't pay retail for it and neither of our 4S phones are up for renewal for over a year. Which is fine. The 4S is the first phone that either my wife or I have had for a while where we're not wishing we had something else.

I DO, however, really like the new 5. I love how they lengthened the screen without widening it. To me, that's the biggest drawback of other new phones. They're too darn big to use with one hand. My dad has a new Samsung Galaxy S3, and it's a great phone. But you have to use both hands to use it (hold it in one hand and use your other to tap). I can actually USE the 4S with one hand; and that's one of its biggest positive attributes to me. I don't care about processor speeds, I don't care about RAM, and I don't care much about storage space. What I care about is usability, and the 4S has delivered that to me (and to my wife) better than any other smart phone has.

We'll get the 5 some day probably. Or maybe by that time, the 6 will be out; who knows!

That's exactly why they didn't widen it. It needs to work in the palm of a 10yo's hand in the iPod Touch or a 75yo's hand. Widening would kill the single-thumb experience. Simplicity.

I wish they also made a larger, 5" phone. Maybe someday.

I keep re-reading this thread and I don't see all the Apple Bashing or Droid raving some are talking about either. Most seem to be pretty valid opinions on whether the newest technology is the best idea. I may be missing something.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Yep!! I was up at 3:30am last night preordering two iPhone 5s. Both contracts were not due for a upgrade until next year. So $1400 later, I'll have em on the release day! Can't wait!!!

Where is the $1400 value of moving from the 4s to the 5? What benefits could you gain that are actually worth $1400? I'm not seeing it.

Who cares? If rg200amp is taking on a load of debt to finance this stuff, that would be a problem, but it isnt a phone problem, its a personal finance problem. if he can afford the change, and wants to do it, who cares? No different than people selling their cars with <250k miles, or fleecing cars in the name of vanity and having newer stuff.

Actually I do since he posted how much he paid to upgrade. I'm interested in his rationale justifying a $1400 upgrade.

Well then Im interested in what your rationale is in being interested in his rationale.
smile.gif

Again, if he has the money, how is it any different than anyone wanting to replace anything with something else newer, before its functional time is up?

Because he could have just said, "Yeah I upgraded" and left it at that. He made a point to indicate how much he paid ($1400). I personally find that amount unusual to pay for a minor upgrade and was wondering his own personal rationale.

Yes, it is his money to spend as he pleases. I have absolutely no beef with that.

Just got confirmation from Verizon this afternoon that my number ports were successful and the phone will be ready to go when it's delivered on Friday. Good riddance AT&T!

That said, I'll be working from home on Friday to greet the FedEx man at the door.

Also installed iOS 6 on my 3rd Gen iPad and iPhone 4 this afternoon. Still like Google Maps better, especially the satellite views. Need to download YouTube app too. Otherwise, it's butter.

I don't worship at Apple's alter. For some people it seems like a crack addiction with Apple. My Droid works just fine so there is no reason to upgrade. I rather spend the money somewhere else.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Because he could have just said, "Yeah I upgraded" and left it at that. He made a point to indicate how much he paid ($1400). I personally find that amount unusual to pay for a minor upgrade and was wondering his own personal rationale.

Yes, it is his money to spend as he pleases. I have absolutely no beef with that.

Who knows. Maybe it's a brag, maybe it's a surprise as to the cost, maybe it's an indication of how much having new tech is worth to him...

People trading cars prematurely creates far greater of a financial hit than a couple iPhones. And nobody blinks an eye at that. Heck, the iPhone probably holds value better!

$1400 sounds like what you would pay buying two phones at the no commitment pricing. I don't find the early upgrade pricing to be enough to extend my contract a year so I do this too.

Also, not only do iPhones hold their value but they sell in no time. Two 4S's can pocket you $800 quick.

Two iPhones, if unlocked, should retain value well. I'm guessing he can sell them for $~500 a piece even a year from now. Plus unlocked would let him use no contract plans which are typically $20 a month lower. Heck he could come out ahead.

Unlocked phones are awesome. I paid $350 plus tax for my Google nexus three months ago and used ones are selling on eBay right now starting at $320.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Plus unlocked would let him use no contract plans which are typically $20 a month lower.

Could you expand on that?

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Two iPhones, if unlocked, should retain value well. I'm guessing he can sell them for $~500 a piece even a year from now. Plus unlocked would let him use no contract plans which are typically $20 a month lower. Heck he could come out ahead.

Unlocked phones are awesome. I paid $350 plus tax for my Google nexus three months ago and used ones are selling on eBay right now starting at $320.

I'll only buy unlocked phones. Can't beat less than $40 TOTAL (incl taxes, fees) for unlimited talk, text and around 3 gig (they say its unlimited but throttle it down around that 3 gig amount)

So far I've not found a place where it does not work well. Its on the AT&T backbone. They also have T-mobile if you like.

The wife loves her Google Nexus. Her iPhone is gone (sold it on Ebay within 36 hours of posting it) so I'm happy with normal devices to keep up with.

Bill

For example T-Mobile monthy4g plans are around $60 for unlimited call/text and 2g of 4g. Their contract equivalent is around $80. But you don't even have to stay with the carrier. If you have a GSM iPhone, you can use Boost (T-Mobile network) or Red Pocket Mobile (ATT network). These pans are monthly and cheaper than T-Mobile or ATT.

Of course if you have a big family and friends network that can call you for free then it may make more sense to stay with the contract.

Exactly Bill. Plus if you ever take a vacation overseas, you can use a local Sim card. When I go to Australia, I buy one week passes of call/text/data for $10. I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back