Who Pre Ordered the iPhone 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

If you have an issue with a company's profit model, fine, but vote with your wallet and shut up.

So are Mods. the only ones that are allowed to tell people to shut up when they don't agree with what someone said? Seems a little childish to me!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
So far, it seems the iPhone 5 might be the best selling iPhone ever! Sold out in less than an HR. The Pre Order Process was fairly Smooth this year, only minor issues with Apple's and the carriers web sites. Unlike the iPhone 4's preorder nightmare!

I'm sure it is.
20.gif

Wonder when the 5s will be coming out...
whistle.gif

In about a year. Apple sticks to a new phone about every year.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
Surprised there is no heavy Apple bashing going on. Their must be only adults here haha. if you go to most any, blog, or news article that even mentions Apple, there is usually hundreds of comments like, Apple Sucks!, Apple users are Sheep, [censored], icrap, iphone is so out of date, screen size comments, Oh my phone had that feature for years, Than if any one says anything even remotely positive about a Apple product they are attacked by a angry mob of android fans.

I don't know how they survive in the world.

We survive well. We have Apple products!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Apple is "spying" just as much if not more than Google. Plus they charge QUITE a bit more for their hardware and lock you into THEIR thought on how everything should run.

Unlike a few here I've gone both ways, seen what it takes to make something work and which one is easier and more efficient. Then you add the cost of the device and service most people are getting ripped off IMO.

And don't even get me started on iTunes!
crackmeup2.gif

Take care, Bill

How do they charge "quite a bit more"?

All top of the line smartphones cost $150-$200 subsidized and $600-$650 unsubsedized...

And that "lock" you speak of is Apple's ecosystem. The maker of the hardware and software setting standards for their products and the developers that create content for their products is not always a bad thing. It ensures the best possible user experience.

O, and iTunes works for me.
48.gif

Right. It's amazing that google, at how much per share is in the public good (tracking the public and making profit off of spying), yet apple is horrible. Would they say the same about IBM? GE?

Who said anything about Apple being evil? I own Apple stock so that would make me pretty hypocritical wouldn't it? I just appreciate Google's business model from a CONSUMER'S perspective. From an investors perspective, Apple is the greatest company in the world. I know you are an Apple fanboy, but try not to get so defensive all the time.

Quit with the stupid fanboy immature commentary. The point of the poster before me was valid, and as a consumer, nothing comes free. If the droid phones really do use the same (or better) innards, then the HW inside cost more on an acquisition basis.

If you have an issue with a company's profit model, fine, but vote with your wallet and shut up. It's. Its notlike google is giving you something free and you're not paying for it in another way (your privacy, advertising, etc). If you're good with it, fine, if not, go another route.

I own a ton of google and apple stock, does that make me hypocritical, or are the two almost entirely irrelevant? Because they are. My profits on both may have bought new phones many times over, but it doesn't mean I want to see one or the other go down the tubes.

I'm happy with google spying on you to fill my pockets with dollar bills. If apple is doing the same to me, so be it, I enjoy their products and you can enjoy droid ones. We're all free to vote with our wallets. What amazes me is why all the folks with droid stuff need to try to flaunt how it is so much better for this or that reason, and especial in the face of commentary about another product. It comes across as pure jealousy, which if the product you carry is so much better, then just state a fact and go away. I do t need apologetics and can figure it out as I need to. If I'm not having problems with iTunes or the way certain things are done, so be it.

And it sure seems that for every "elitist" apple user, there are two android "elitist" users set on saying how stupid, overpriced, overhyped, irresponsible, lousy designed or whatever else the product is, and by extension, how horrible and ridiculous the user is. So quit with the elitist droid is best attitude and you might not get as much pushback on your commentary.

But for someone to call another a fool for buying a new iPhone 5 is just a sign of jealousy and ridiculous commentary for this board. But it is foolish to think that one company is magically the consjmer's friend and that somehow you're getting something for free...

I think you are losing it. You are reading everything as an
Apple criticism when in my first post I praised the iphone and even alluded that I might switch back after some real world testing of the phone and the maps. In my post about the Google Nexus, my direct comparison wasn't even an Apple product but another Droid, the S3. Yes, carriers and Samsung do gouge too. Don't look for Apple criticism where there isn't any.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

If you have an issue with a company's profit model, fine, but vote with your wallet and shut up.

So are Mods. the only ones that are allowed to tell people to shut up when they don't agree with what someone said? Seems a little childish to me!

I think what is childish is trying to make more out of something than is meant.

If youve read any of the umpteen threads on more or less the same thing, you would have realized that it is nothing more than a chevy vs ford argument, and it is never going to come to an end. State facts, make a choice and be done.

I think you are losing it. You are reading everything as an
Apple criticism when in my first post I praised the iphone and even alluded that I might switch back after some real world testing of the phone and the maps. In my post about the Google Nexus, my direct comparison wasn't even an Apple product but another Droid, the S3. Yes, carriers and Samsung do gouge too. Don't look for Apple criticism where there isn't any.

I saw your first thread. But this discussion all occurred because of your implication that google isnt trying to fleece the consumer (from maybe your second or third post), which by default implies that they are differentiated and that apple somehow is.

Maybe apple profits off the consumer more, maybe not. I dont know what the margins are per user or per product. Google may well make more per user in the end all by selling their information and making adds off it, I dont know.

My only point really was that nothing is free, and google isnt this wonderful gem of a company any more or less than apple is... because there is often an angle given that google somehow is so wonderful because they somehow magically give everyone stuff cheaper and better than anyone else.

Yet, per the SIII thread, if I walked into AT&T and wanted an iphone 5 or an SIII, Id have to pay $199 and sign up for a 2-year contract for either, so to the typical end user, there is no cost difference, and thus Im not seeing this major google benefit vs buying what you like from a use perspective as best.

So no company is this woderful benefactor to the population at large... That's all Im saying...

I compared the Google nexus to an S3. I'm not sure why you keep trying to make this an apple thing. The Google nexus is a no contract unlocked pentaband device basically being sold at low margin running Jellybean, the latest android OS. It is controlled and marketed by Google. The S3 is locked and carrier subsidized and controlled by the carrier and fleeces the consumer via a contract. It also runs a sh$tload of bloatware and the older ICS android OS. The contrast as huge and does not require you to leap to the conclusion that I must be talking about Apple.

One thing about the iPhone is they hold their value.

I sold a 3GS about 6 months ago for $150 on craigslist the same day I posted it.
I have a 4S now ,and its been great.

Not looking to get a new one ,but I went a played on AT&T's website to see what it would cost me for a iPhone 5. My cost would be $449 since I still have a little over a year left with the 4S.

If I really wanted a 5 I could probably get $300 on Craigs or Ebay easily for my current 4S.

I compared the Google nexus to an S3. I'm not sure why you keep trying to make this an apple thing. The Google nexus is a no contract unlocked pentaband device basically being sold at low margin running Jellybean, the latest android OS. It is controlled and marketed by Google. The S3 is locked and carrier subsidized and controlled by the carrier and fleeces the consumer via a contract. It also runs a sh$tload of bloatware and the older ICS android OS. The contrast as huge and does not require you to leap to the conclusion that I must be talking about Apple.

Well gee, we are talking about the iPhone 5 in this thread. Notice the title?

But regarding the nexus, how do you know it isn't being subsidized by google themselves?

I responded to Bill's comments about the Nexus and praised the way Google was handling it. That was it. And you went nuts on me about this being an anti-apple rant. Like you said to someone else, don't make this bigger than it is.

The Nexus is retailing for $350 unlocked. So Google probably is subsidizing it. But I am paying $350. And guess what, it does not have Carrier IQ, which is a highly controversial spyware installed by carriers. And yes, it is also on iOS on certain carriers. So when Google has control, they (1) sell at half the price of other high end handsets and (2) have less spyware. You may have a problem with that because of some nebulus "hidden costs" but I don't. So I vote with my wallet as you advised.

No, yours was one I commented on, but the other ones about one poster spending $1400 on two phones were in the mix too. I kind of lumped a lot together, yours was more obvious I guess.

Glad you're voting with your wallet. I am too...

Thanks for the note on carrier iq, I'll have to look into it, but I'll bet that google has their own version because they track everything. As I said before, let's not fool ourselves that they're giving out something for nothing...

No, yours was one I commented on, but the other ones about one poster spending $1400 on two phones were in the mix too. I kind of lumped a lot together, yours was more obvious I guess.

Glad you're voting with your wallet. I am too...

Thanks for the note on carrier iq, I'll have to look into it, but I'll bet that google has their own version because they track everything. As I said before, let's not fool ourselves that they're giving out something for nothing...

Glad we got it sorted out. Cheers
smile.gif

Edit:
btw, I did a quick web search and Apple issued a statement on Dec. 1, 2011 that they would be removing Carrier IQ from iOS 5 "in a future update." I'm guessing it is removed by now but you may want to double check. I think Lookout Security has an app that detects it. Or I'm sure there are Apple support communities that can tell you how to check for it and remove it if you have it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hypervish
Apple just released official numbers, and said over 2 million iPhone 5's have been pre-ordered.

Please note that the 2 million preorders were taken within the first 24 hours of the prerelease. Considering its Monday, I'd assume it close to almost double that figure by now. . .

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Originally Posted By: hypervish
Apple just released official numbers, and said over 2 million iPhone 5's have been pre-ordered.

Please note that the 2 million preorders were taken within the first 24 hours of the prerelease. Considering its Monday, I'd assume it close to almost double that figure by now. . .

That is true.

I am not. I certainly won't pay retail for it and neither of our 4S phones are up for renewal for over a year. Which is fine. The 4S is the first phone that either my wife or I have had for a while where we're not wishing we had something else.

I DO, however, really like the new 5. I love how they lengthened the screen without widening it. To me, that's the biggest drawback of other new phones. They're too darn big to use with one hand. My dad has a new Samsung Galaxy S3, and it's a great phone. But you have to use both hands to use it (hold it in one hand and use your other to tap). I can actually USE the 4S with one hand; and that's one of its biggest positive attributes to me. I don't care about processor speeds, I don't care about RAM, and I don't care much about storage space. What I care about is usability, and the 4S has delivered that to me (and to my wife) better than any other smart phone has.

We'll get the 5 some day probably. Or maybe by that time, the 6 will be out; who knows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back