Who manufactures Amsoil oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed on the label: "Formulated, blended, and packaged in the USA." Who manufactures the base oil and additives? I like Amsoil. But, who makes it? Why do our pics become horizontal when posting?

IMG_2141.jpg

I've been told Amsoil's basestocks are provided by Chevron. How true this is I can't say. It can also change at any time. This does not mean Amsoil's quality is any inferior.

Amsoil, like many others, blends base stocks and additives from numerious suppliers. When you look at the industry in its entirety, there are not many additive and suppliers. This is why most oils, generally speaking, are more similar than different. Top tier oils meeting the same specifications are going to perform similarly.

It's probably a "secret" or not disclosed. They may also have multiple companies that blend for them as well (set up regionally). As long as these blenders use the proper ingredients and follow the process or specs that Amsoil requires, any competent chemical blender could do this.

On a mostly unrelated note, every couple of weeks or so, at least that I notice, an Amsoil semi-truck/trailer goes to a neighboring company to my work and sits at one of their docks for a while. This business is involved in labeling, tags, etc. I've asked our local delivery drivers if the place rents warehouse space or something but that doesn't appear to be the case.

AMSOIL is a blender, no different from Ashland (Valvoline), Eneos, Royal Purple, Fuchs, Motul...etc. There are very few oil companies that produce all of their product in-house, particularly for all grades. Mobil is one, Shell is another. BP doesn't produce PAO, so any oil grade that contains it, like Castrol 0w-40, is using a base sourced from somebody else like ExxonMobil or CP.

Similarly, additive packages are produced by a small group of players with the two biggest ones likely being Lubrizol and Infineum, the latter which is a joint venture between Shell and Mobil.

AMSOIL's base oils, at least their PAO, I believe comes primarily from XOM. Their additives are likely sourced from Lubrizol. That doesn't mean that Lubrizol or XOM "makes" AMSOIL's oil, they blend the additives and do their testing in-house. There ARE oil labels out there that just resell somebody else's product and do no blending. SuperTech, NAPA, Toyota, Motorcraft, Mopar, Honda...etc any of the OEM brands are blended by somebody else and sometimes these oils are identical to other oils blended for another. IIRC, it was NAPA that was the same as Valvoline White Bottle or something along those lines at one point.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Probably Warren.
lol.gif

Wouldn't it be funny if Amsoil and Super Tech were exactly the same oil and people were being fooled into paying twice as much or more due to slick marketing?
I use Super Tech oil because I think oil is oil as long as it meets the standards.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
AMSOIL is a blender, no different from Ashland (Valvoline), Eneos, Royal Purple, Fuchs, Motul...etc. There are very few oil companies that produce all of their product in-house, particularly for all grades. Mobil is one, Shell is another. BP doesn't produce PAO, so any oil grade that contains it, like Castrol 0w-40, is using a base sourced from somebody else like ExxonMobil or CP.

Similarly, additive packages are produced by a small group of players with the two biggest ones likely being Lubrizol and Infineum, the latter which is a joint venture between Shell and Mobil.

AMSOIL's base oils, at least their PAO, I believe comes primarily from XOM. Their additives are likely sourced from Lubrizol. That doesn't mean that Lubrizol or XOM "makes" AMSOIL's oil, they blend the additives and do their testing in-house. There ARE oil labels out there that just resell somebody else's product and do no blending. SuperTech, NAPA, Toyota, Motorcraft, Mopar, Honda...etc any of the OEM brands are blended by somebody else and sometimes these oils are identical to other oils blended for another. IIRC, it was NAPA that was the same as Valvoline White Bottle or something along those lines at one point.

This is the absolute truth. XOM provides the synthetic base and Lubrizol provides the add pack.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

This is the absolute truth. XOM provides the synthetic base and Lubrizol provides the add pack.

XOM provides some, Chevron and others, provide base oils. Look at the tanker cars.....Lubrizol is one of the additive pack makers, but they buy additives from others as well.

I was told that the new formulation of the signature series that came out last fall resembled an infineum add pack. It's not confirmed because they keep it private for competitive reasons.

Whatever they are using and blending together it works just fine in my applications.
grin2.gif

Well, since LSPI became an issue, the first to switch to Mg/Ca were Mobil 1 and Castrol (2012). Since then, the rest have all followed. I don't know if that's strictly an Infineum additive system or not. Mag 1 uses Infineum. There are up to 18 different components in some formulations, and I don't know how many they buy individual vs bundled in an additive system. That's a question for a formulator.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
I would guess Mobil provides the base stock. Mobil once provided all the base stock for synthetic oil producers.

Nope, Hatco provided the original base stocks for AMSOIL "back in the day".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back