Who Makes What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A semi permanent topic in Tires and wheels as to which manufacturer makes what tire would be at least as handy as the list of oil filters compiled in that forum.

Such as,

Goodyear: Kelly Springfield, Multimile, Douglas, Dunlop, Jetzon, and many many more.

Firestone/Bridgestone: Daytona (Not too familiar with this one)

Michelin/B. F. Goodrich/Uniroyal

Really be interested in foreigh built brands family trees!

Bob

This is one of those things that seems simple on the surface, but is difficult underneath.

First, there are the name brands: Goodyear, Michelin, etc. Those are obvious, but even then sometimes someone else produces tires with that name on them.

Second is house brands: Goodrich, Kelly, Firestone, Dayton, etc. These are brands - high and low - that are 100% distributed by the manufacturer. Again, there are some exceptions.

Third is private brands: These are brands that a distributor, a tire chain, or some other marketing entity control. While these may be all produced by the same manufacturer, it's equally possible that the distributor would farm this out to any manufacturer and that could change from year to year and be different bteween lines even within the same year.

quote:

Originally posted by CapriRacer:
This is one of those things that seems simple on the surface, but is difficult underneath.

First, there are the name brands: Goodyear, Michelin, etc. Those are obvious, but even then sometimes someone else produces tires with that name on them.

Second is house brands: Goodrich, Kelly, Firestone, Dayton, etc. These are brands - high and low - that are 100% distributed by the manufacturer. Again, there are some exceptions.

Third is private brands: These are brands that a distributor, a tire chain, or some other marketing entity control. While these may be all produced by the same manufacturer, it's equally possible that the distributor would farm this out to any manufacturer and that could change from year to year and be different bteween lines even within the same year.

And fourth, brands made by various manufacturers. Avon is an English brand, but Avon tires sold in the United States are made by Cooper.

Cooper is the heavy hitter in the house brand and private label tire markets. I am pretty sure they make Avon, Dean, Mastercraft, Mickey Thompson, **** Cepek, ProComp, and Les Schwab among many others.

I suspect that the Pep Boys tires are Cooper based, but I am not sure about that.

I forgot about MAST, Michelin America Small Tires.

They are also responsible for many of the lesser known brand names. I believe that a good number of the America's/Discount Tire (Arizonan, Pathfinder, Sport King, etc.) and Wal-Mart store house brands are from MAST.

Cooper bought out Avon in the UK several years ago.

Can anyone confirm Cooper make Mickey Thompson, Pro Comp and **** Cepek ?

Quote:

Falken tires are made by Sumitomo who's owned by Goodyear.

Man! That is so ever messed up ! What happened to the brand identity??? nowdays everybody own everybody and we customers gettin owned by these huge conglomerats too! #@$%!!

well at least nokian didn't sell out yet. so there is still hope.

Pirelli is a large multi-national company. Hoosier is a small independent company. Both make their own tires.

Maxxis is a brand of Cheng Shin, a Taiwan based company. Dunlop was once a proud manufacturer based in the United Kingdom. It is now a Goodyear brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back