Who makes their own seltzer water?

I've been drinking seltzer, carbonated water, water with CO2 gas, not club soda! for 45+ years, been buying seltzer for 35-40 years, been making it for 10 years. First with a 20 lb. CO2 tank with a hose and regulator going in to a soda bottle, then Sodastream using an adapter I bought off Amazon to fit the CO2 bottle connection. The first machine lasted 18 months, replaced under warranty but upgraded to a better machine with a lifetime guarantee, that lasted 18 months, then replaced again, that lasted 18 months, then replaced again, now today. Sodastream had 6-8 models, now Pepsi-Cola bought Sodastream, they are down to 2 bottle compatible models. Again, under warranty, they have sent me 3 machines in a row all with the same problem, when the button is not pressed, gas comes out of the nozzle; the first 2 also made a racket when filling, and the last, yesterday I received it, the buttons do not work. I'm done with Sodastream.

Anyone make their own with another machine? Using a 20 lb. tank? Adapter? Are the Sodastream bottles compatible with that machine?

We've had our Sodastream Power since late last year, and it's been great. Which model(s) have you tried?

We had the Power, 2 of them, they've now have been replaced by the One Touch. These are the ones that have not been working.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648

Anyone make their own with another machine? Using a 20 lb. tank? Adapter? Are the Sodastream bottles compatible with that machine?

Pick up a used Cornelius keg. You can have 5 gallons of fizzy water on tap and it will likely last a lifetime.

[Linked Image from cornykeg.com]

Ed

I've used a Cornelius keg for storing brewed beer. They work ok, but obviously a bit clunky.

Just curious is there an actual difference between "club soda" and carbonated water?

I have the old large Soda Stream carbonator with a 20lb tank that has worked well. It needed a regulator on the tank to keep from freezing up. It will leak CO2 if you do not turn the valve off. It is Okay.

A buddy of mine found a Kitchen Aid soda maker on craigslist for $40 and it is very well made. All metal and build retro. I think it may be the way to go. Uses the same bottles and CO2 bottles as soda stream. [
[Linked Image from picclickimg.com]

I got a SodaStream to make my own diet Pepsi. But the syrup SodaStream sells does not taste like diet Pepsi. So I buy diet Pepsi in 2L bottles But I need to cut back and go to some kind of flavored seltzer made via SodaStream.

What are the advantages to making your own, I drink a lot of seltzer and would be interested if there are multiple advantages to purchasing at the store and bringing home.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
What are the advantages to making your own, I drink a lot of seltzer and would be interested if there are multiple advantages to purchasing at the store and bringing home.

The biggest advantage for me is not having to lug 12-packs of cans from the store, then take bags of cans to the bottle depot. The only thing I have to move in and out of my house are the CO2 cylinders when it's time to refill those. Much easier.

Also, I prefer the flavour of real lime wedges to the lime flavoured soda water in a can.

Club soda has salt in it, either sodium or potassium. Seltzer is tap water and CO2 gas.

The cost using a 20 lb. tank is 3¢/liter, .03/liter, a larger tank is even cheaper. My wife and I recovered all the cost for the equipment in 6 months. It takes seconds to make a bottle.

I drink it straight, squeeze lemon, lime, orange in it, I take 1/4-1/3 glass of soda and the rest is diluted with seltzer water, I put orange juice in a glass with a spritz of seltzer water, I put a little frozen concentrated lemonade in a glass then 2/3-3/4 glass cold water and the rest seltzer water, I fill1/3 glass chocolate milk and the rest seltzer water, I take mixed berry fruit juice and mix with seltzer water.

I love Polar New England flavors Blooo Orange, Pomegranate Sangria. What do you guys do for that end or just like the plain stuff with lemon or lime?

My purchasers of the commercially made stuff center on black cherry and orange flavored. Sometimes I go for the Costco Brand n(Kirkland) 35 can mixed flavor pack.

Back