Who makes the best overall High Mileage Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering who makes the best, overall "high mileage" engine oil? Many companies sell it, like Castrol, Valvoline(Max Life), Exxon (Superflo), Havoline, Citgo, etc.

I am looking for something that is easy to get, as well as protects the engine well, and helps condition seals.

I have a 1987 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 liter engine with 220,000 miles on it. I have been using Mobil 1 for years. I am not using it now because I had work done to it and the garage put in Quaker State regular dino; they didn't give me a choice.

The Jeep has 2 oil leaks, one at the rear main seal, the other is at the oil pan gasket. I want to get these fixed before I go back to Mobil 1. If I go back now, the Mobil 1 will just leak out, and it is a little expensive to let that happen.

I was going to try the "Mobil Drive Clean Plus High Mileage", with seal conditioners. It was a synthetic blend, but they quit making it.

From what I've read on this website, there is some type of issue involving iron and the 4.0 liter engine, but I don't know what it is?

Should I just use a conventional oil that's not for high mileage cars?

Does anyone have any ideas or experiences to share?

Thanks in advance!

Is this a candidate for a double AutoRX treatment?
dunno.gif

You need to leave the high milage oils alone and go for Auto-Rx. Their is not a oil on the planet that is going to stop your oil leaks!! Asking an oil to stop a leak is like asking a carrot to cure a brain tumor it just is not going to happen!

The idea of high milage oils is to help swell the seals just enough to try to prevent leaks in older vechiles that are not leaking yet. They also make the oil a bit thicker to reduce consuption and throw in a lot more anti-wear additives.It is not their goal to repair already leaking seals or to clean the engine out.

Who makes the best overall High Mileage Oil?

I don't think any oil scientist here can answer that question truthfully.

I can truthfully say that the high mileage oil most discussed here is Valvoline Maxlife. You can get five free quarts (after rebate) at Advance Auto. Ask for the rebate slip behind the counter.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
You can get five free quarts (after rebate) at Advance Auto. Ask for the rebate slip behind the counter.

Definitely the best price on high mileage oil! Maxlife is pretty good stuff, but if you want high zinc and phosphorus, the Citgo Ultralife is suppposed to have a lot more.

I'm not sure if this is the case for an '87, but many 4.0L Jeeps have 2-piece rear main seals. Thus, it's not necessary to drop the transmission in order to replace it.

If this is the case for your Jeep, you can probably have it replaced relatively cheap by a competent mechanic, thereby permanently fixing the problem.

I usually reach for the GTX HM, no real reason except that I reviewed the PDS on it and am familliar with it. MaxLife Synth would be the best probally, costs more. Just saw GTX HM at Wally for $1.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back