who makes the best dino oil for the 4.6 and 5.4 f150?

Status
Not open for further replies.
out of the major brands(castrol, valvoline,m.c.,pennz,Q.S.,havoline,chevron)who or how would you rank them?remmember no synthetics just plain dino (5w20,5w30,10w30)with 3 to 4k changes.from what i hear valvoline lacks aditives ford m.c.and chevron look better ,but castrol seems to be the best i think, it has a good amount of moly. so let the debate start tks.
cool.gif

For me the choice would be between Havoline 5w-20 and Motorcraft 5w-20. At $1.77/qt (Wally World price) the Motorcraft 5w-20, which is a synthetic blend, is tough to beat. The Havoline 5w-20 is only aound $1.40/qt. and if I'm not mistaken has the largest dose of moly of all the OTC 5w-20 dinos.

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
For me the choice would be between Havoline 5w-20 and Motorcraft 5w-20. At $1.77/qt (Wally World price) the Motorcraft 5w-20, which is a synthetic blend, is tough to beat. The Havoline 5w-20 is only aound $1.40/qt. and if I'm not mistaken has the largest dose of moly of all the OTC 5w-20 dinos.

Mikep, last time I looked the Wally World near us reduced the price of Motorcraft 5W-20 to $1.42/quart. They originally raised it to $1.82 but reduced it shortly afterwards. Maybe it's part of Wally Worlds "roll back" program we see on tv
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

Most times I've checked the price of Motorcraft 5W-20 at Wally World it's been $1.42/quart. Fantastic deal IMHO.

I don't have a 4.6 or a 5.4, but I use 5W-30 Chevron in my 5.0 Mountaineer. You can't beat the price of Chevron especially when Checker has those 69 cents/quart sale.

In 5w20 flavor, the Motorcraft is tough to beat, going for 1.42 a qt these days at Wal Mart. I also like Havoline, which is going for 1.29 a qt at my local Mills Fleet Farm.

I can't say the same for Chevron, since Checker doesn't stock 5w20 in Chevron here.

In 5w30, the Chevron or Havoline oils get my vote.

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Mikep, last time I looked the Wally World near us reduced the price of Motorcraft 5W-20 to $1.42/quart. They originally raised it to $1.82 but reduced it shortly afterwards. Maybe it's part of Wally Worlds "roll back" program we see on tv
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

Wow. It's even a better deal than I thought!

I'm sure that the only difference bewteen Chevron and Havoline is the color of the bottle, and maybe the price; Havoline around here tends to be about $.20 more than Chevron.

You might want to search the site (especially the UOA sub-section) using "4.6" and "5.4" to see past recommendations and UOA results.

I wonder if we have any UOAs for 5.4L engines yet.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

I posted a UOA for my 97 F-150 5.4. linky

I am now trying the 5w20 Motorcraft. May go back to the 5w30 though. Hard for me to try and better those results. As far as dino oil goes I think it is going to be hard to beat the Motorcraft when used in the Ford modular motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back