Who makes the best air filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a subject I`m not very educated on. I searched here before I posted but didn`t see what I was looking for. I checked my car`s air filters (my engine has two,one filter for the left cylinder bank and one for the right cylinder bank). Both filters still look showroom fresh. I bought my car with 34k on it and it now has 61k. I`m guessing as long as they look fine they`re ok?

Who make the absolute best air filters? I`ve read AC Delcos are really good.

What`s the general consensus?

AC Delco filters do, in fact, test out very well. So do the Napa/Wix filters. I personally am impressed with the Purolator Pure One air filters but they are not made for all applications.

Terry told me that a cheap Fram air filter changed frequently is the most cost effective and best way to keep your engine free of debris. (Changed at 10K miles)

If you want to go longer that that I would check into a Amsoil EAA or a Wix. These are great filters that offer very good filtration.

cheers3.gif

I've found that brand alone is not a good determining factor as to what filter is best for a particular application. Some brands are the best for some applications, while the same brand sucks for other applications, as far as quality and fit and finish. You just have to examine and try them for your application.

For example, Fram air filters absolutely don't fit tight in the airbox of my 94 Corolla, and I'd never use them in that application. But for our GM vehicles, they fit perfect and are of good construction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Both filters still look showroom fresh. I bought my car with 34k on it and it now has 61k. I`m guessing as long as they look fine they`re ok?

Just because a filter still looks good doesn't mean it's still functioning well. The filter medium goes bad due to exposure to moisture over time.

Everyone is probably going to have their favorite, and I am no different. I have and like the AEM Dry Flow. I may let my truck go without a bath too long, but for certain things (oil, filters, etc) I will pay through the nose for.

Originally Posted By: Mau
for my acura I found Wix to be best, build was superb.

on my honda, it has a SRI so I am using an AEM dryflow cone filter on it, no complaints.

I agree, on my Acura I've liked Wix the best. The Purolator I'm using now seems good, too, but I haven't had a UOA on it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back