Who makes STP oil filters, sold by Autozone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of early 2022, who makes STP oil filters and does anyone have an opinion on them, positive or negative?

I've got $25 in credits to burn and figured some free oil filters would be handy to set aside.

I pulled an Extended Life S7317XL off the shelf and it says made in Vietnam. Their website shows made in China so maybe coming from different manufactures.

I've inspected 4.
All say a "product of Tennessee..."
But still,
2 say made in China
2 have Spanish on them, suggesting made in some Spanish origin.

Confusing.

The ones I've used say made in China. The filter looks just like the MH Hyundai OEM ones - S2808

Locally AZ stores have in the vast majority of STP spin on OFs, moved back to Champ Labs US made filters. I have noticed a few applications that still have whatever/whoever manufacturer with China coo. As mentioned by bbhero the XL was very similar to a Premium Guard filter. Before the move to off shore, Champ Labs was the STP manufacturer, blue can value tier same as old Champ Labs made Super Tech line. Many ecores.

Hadn't seen/noticed the "Tennessee" deal, but as AZ headquartered in Nashville iirc, likely where derived. They used to have another AZ name on box too, Best Brands?, something like that.

I understand the entire concept of buy American, however can anyone prove that the Chinese make a bad filter?

Just grabbed a STP Extended Life S10060XL. Says made in China and I thought I had read these were supposed to be e-core design? Not sure if this is old stock or I got bad intel because this one is not e-core.

I’ve been running Fram ultra but finding them has been getting trickier so I wanted to kick the tires on a different oil filter. I had purchased one of the STP premium air filters and was very impressed with it so I decided to look at this STP oil filter. Opinion on it; it seems to be of good construction and quality parts. It’s supposed to be 99% at 20 microns. It’s interval is only 10k miles vs 20k for the Fram Ultra but my OCI never get anywhere near either of those.

I have no long term experience with this filter (actually have none since I haven’t even put it on yet) but I don’t see any issues someone would have running this filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back