Who Makes STP Oil Filters? Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently purchased an STP engine air filter and when I compared it to my OEM, it was of poor quality, so I returned it. Unfortunately due to that experience I wouldn't ever use their products, to read what others are posting here, I'd imagine they aren't built to the same standard as a Napa Gold or Mobil 1 oil filter.

Originally Posted By: jorton
The design is unique. I think GM uses it for AC Delco oil filters.
They are identical to GMs e-core's but GM also has a classic line.

Doesnt AC Delco use a paper media whereas these STP filters have media comparable to the Extra Guard? Same inner cage construction though.

Ecore filters get a lot of hate, but I have yet to identify the difference between one of these and a cartridge filter. Both have the inner cages.

Funny, these STP filters that many of you are bagging on are identical to the SuperTechs that everyone used to love. Both are/were Champ Labs standard service-grade filters. The larger ones are e-cores, the smaller ones aren't.

I've used the air filters too. They don't appear cheap to me. Nice solid construction, lots of pleats. Never used the oil filters but wouldn't be against it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jorton
The design is unique. I think GM uses it for AC Delco oil filters.

Not unique at all, many off brand filters made by Champs Lab use the e-core design.

Andy Granatelli?

But Andy passed away a couple of years ago.

I appreciated Granatelli's marketing approach back in the day.

You'd feel guilty if you didn't add that pint of STP with every oil change.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I wouldn't put one on my car. . . . . to put it that way. . . . .

+1 for the above comment.

I guess you-boyz don't drive GMs, who ask purchasers not to change their oils, until the monitor light comes on...... most cases 10+K on the odometer.

So General Motors has no clue on how long those AC Filters will perform well eh?....... OK..... hahahahaha

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Ecore filters get a lot of hate, but I have yet to identify the difference between one of these and a cartridge filter. Both have the inner cages.

I never thought of that.. Interesting.

I used one on my '96 LeSabre recently for 3k. Cut it open and it looked good. Not a bad looking filter for $3 & change.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I don't see them as the same at all. Ecores have poor ADBV's in my experience, a highly suspect combo bypass, and unlike cartridge filters have a nasty tendency to blow holes in the media and through the cage....into the engine.

None of those issues plague cartridge filters that I have seen.

Heck, cartridge filters seem to perform so different than canisters that I'm actually running a Puro Classic cartridge in my most expensive vehicle at the moment!
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back