Who makes Sam's Club 80W-90 Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know who makes the Sam's Club gear oils? I couldn't find any good images of labels on the 5 gallon bucket online.
[Linked Image]

WM gets a lot lube products from WPp up north here. WPp stuff has worked better for me than Mobil HD80W90 - which really doesnt belong in a modern car.

Does it really matter who blended this stuff ? as it is ancient technology made with low grade, high volatility napthenic oil.

I looked quickly for a SDS but didnt find it online quickly.

Where is it going? general 3rd member lube in a garage grease pit?

If you search Sam's SDS listing, they have a generic entry for "Sam's Club 80W90 gear oil" but no way to confirm that it's this same product. If it is though, it's produced by Shell Oil.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
WM gets a lot lube products from WPp up north here. WPp stuff has worked better for me than Mobil HD80W90 - which really doesnt belong in a modern car.

Does it really matter who blended this stuff ? as it is ancient technology made with low grade, high volatility napthenic oil.

I was wondering who made it so I could track down the product data sheet. I couldn't find one. WPP also doesn't seem to post their sheets anymore either. They have a SDS portal on the website, but it's wonky at best, and I'm not looking for safety data. I was looking for kinematic viscosity data.
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I looked quickly for a SDS but didnt find it online quickly.

Where is it going? general 3rd member lube in a garage grease pit?

Good questions? That is precisely the issue. I need a 80W-90 for front and rear DIFFs. The rear DIFFs all have LSD. Normally, I wouldn't buy such an oil, regardless of the application being used for, but only because I like to stick with what I know works. Lately, the market has changed and I can't get conventional oils with LSD additive and I'll have to add the additives to whichever conventional oil I choose. I wanted to make sure the viscosity isn't way out of range from the spec I like to use (Valvoline High Performance Gear Oil 80W-90 Limited Slip). Having said that, I don't even know where to begin evaluating whether an oil is made from a low grade or from high volatility napthenic oil. How can you determine the "grade" of oil it was made from?

Most conventional gear oils are made from Napthenic oil. The high volatility isn't a concern for most med to light duty diffs as it would be in engine oil. This oil choice gives you the improved low temperature performance and Ep solvency.

Do you have a reason why you dont want to run the valvoline other than cost?

Unless you are mudding or boat launching with teh axles submerged, you shouldn't need to change diff fluids more than 60K miles at the most conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back