who makes NAPA oils??

Status
Not open for further replies.
cool.gif
I've been told their oil is Valvoline. Tranny fluid I don't know.
dunno.gif

The ATF that I got there for my Saturn last time said on the back that it was made by Ashland(sp), and to my understanding that is Valvoline.

By the way, this fluid is working really well in my car.

Brian

I noticed that the MSDSs of NAPA and Valvoline motor oils have the same number (they looked identical to me). NAPA offers now synthetic motor oil (I could not find the MSDS though) that sells for less than $3.50/quart, and I suspect it is similar to (if not the same as) Valvoline synthetic.
The auto tranny of my car broke down while using Maxlife ATF (7,000 miles on this fluid). I am not saying that Maxlife has caused the problem (overheating), but it did not help. I will use a different fluid in the future.

Marius,

That's funny that you had problems with the Maxlife ATF, that is what I had in my Saturn for about 4,000 miles before I drained it and put in the NAPA fluid. The tranny just didn't act right. It didn't shift smooth and didn't "feel" right. I drained it and put in the Dexron NAPA fluid, and the tranny is now back to normal.

Now that I know that Valvoline isn't the best, I probably won't be using that ATF again, even though it is working fine for me (just paranoid I guess).

I don't know what they are putting in that Maxlife ATF, but my car didn't like it!

Brian

NAPA and Carquest oils (as well as Speedway,
cheers.gif
Marathon) are Valvoline. There is no difference in these as they come from the same bulk container as the actual Valvoline oil. I have been to the place that makes the oil bottles for Ashland Oil in Cincinnati, OH and the shipping guy verified this for me, as I was curious myself. So don't pay the big bux for Valvoline when NAPA, Carquest, etc. are the same thing. Last time I got oil at Carquest in Richmond, VA it was $1.15 per quart. Chevron Supreme($1.08) is still cheaper.

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
--I have been to the place that makes the oil bottles for Ashland Oil in Cincinnati, OH and the shipping guy verified this for me, as I was curious myself. So don't pay the big bux for Valvoline when NAPA, Carquest, etc. are the same thing. --

NOpe, does not have to be the same.
I spoke and was in the plant of a blender and bulk seller here in the Houston area... with few exceptions many of the oils have the same base, but the adds can make a big deal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back