Who makes good garden hose nozzles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The prior nozzle that I had was branded by Scotts. I figured that a name brand landscaping company would make a long lasting nozzle. That one only lasted a couple of years. The one I bought a couple of weeks ago (Melnor, that looks a lot like this one: https://www.melnor.com/product/heavyweight-10-pattern-nozzle-with-thumb-control/) had the top plastic part (that turns and gives different spray patterns) break the second time I used it. Apart from being more gentle with the next nozzle that I buy (I often throw them over some bushes when I wash my cars, so I suppose that doesn't help matters), I'd like to get one that will last. I paid $15 for this Melnor model at Lowes, which was several dollars more than many others there, because it felt more solid and I thought it would be worth it.

So what nozzles (under $30 please) are going to last a while? I wash my cars 3-4 times a month (maybe 2x in the winter), with occasional use to water some plants in the front yard. I wouldn't call this hard use at all.

Last edited:
I like the fire hose type and own one, but I never use it for things like washing the cars or watering plants.
You'll need two hands to adjust the flow and turn it off and it's more fussiness than I care for when doing those things.
I much prefer a trigger set for one handed use.

I use the firehose nozzle with an old (30+ years) brass trigger valve behind it. The valve makes it more convenient for on-off duty.

I think I'll give the Harbor Freight unit linked to (or one like it) a shot. I like the idea of fewest moving parts, and these look a lot simpler. They can give a "shower" pattern that I never got out of the older small brass nozzles.

I don't like the all-in-one nozzles with trigger handles. They have a lower volume of flow. It makes the chore of hand watering plants much longer for me. I find the fan - or wand - heads better for this chore.

The aircraft world is demanding. We need the best otherwise washing by hand would result in never finishing the job.

https://www.grainger.com/product/18D869?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7oas5Ib74gIVilINCh3hbwsPEAQYBSABEgIGX_D_BwE&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI7oas5Ib74gIVilINCh3hbwsPEAQYBSABEgIGX_D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!281733070991!!!g!539964669076!

And the dang-blasted thing does not spray ya in the face when ya drop it.

18D869_AS02

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I don't like the all in one nozzles. Every one of them I have bought have been junk.

Gilmour zinc pistol grip for what ever, and Dramm one touch rain wand for my gardens.

Originally Posted by Cujet
The aircraft world is demanding. We need the best otherwise washing by hand would result in never finishing the job.

https://www.grainger.com/product/18D869?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7oas5Ib74gIVilINCh3hbwsPEAQYBSABEgIGX_D_BwE&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI7oas5Ib74gIVilINCh3hbwsPEAQYBSABEgIGX_D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!281733070991!!!g!539964669076!

And the dang-blasted thing does not spray ya in the face when ya drop it.

18D869_AS02

[Linked Image]

Good googly moogly! That thing better last 20+ years!

I vote for the brass craftsmen ones. I've had the same one for 30 years now. If you drop them they don't brake. Replace the rubber o-rings every 5 years or so. I have a large garden so it gets used often.

I buy the cheap die cast Gilmour nozzles at HD. Go from fan spray to full on stream with handle pressure. They last about 5 years and cost $5.97.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back