who makes a thin 5w30 at 40C? Whats with castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that people will say that there is no one answer but what I'm looking for is a dino thats fairly thin at start up. I was thinking about trying a thick 5w20 like castrol gtx but they dont list there 40 cst #s on their pds. When I wrote them about it they told me they cant tell me because its a super secret! Everyone else lists that so I'm betting that its thicker than gravy at start up.

+1 on that. Chevron/Havoline dino 5W-30's are the thinnest 5W-30's you can get right now.

Another one that is very close is Peak 5W-30. It's very close to where Chevron/Havoline is.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
+1 on that. Chevron/Havoline dino 5W-30's are the thinnest 5W-30's you can get right now.

Another one that is very close is Peak 5W-30. It's very close to where Chevron/Havoline is.

Formula Shell is pretty thin too I think.

are you talking about chevron supreme? Is that a good oil? I've heard a few swear by it. I've looked at it before and dident buy it because I just dont know anything about it but every time im at costco it calls to me. I've seen on the bottle it says ISOSYN Whats that all about??

Chevron Supreme and Havoline are very good oils - group II+ base oils, lots of moly, and they consistently produce great UOA. They seem to have good TBN longevity as well.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Quaker State Winter Blend. VI is over 200.
50 cSt at 40C.

That may be a canadian thing because I've never seen that

It's hard to find.

As for Formula Shell, it's actually one of the 'thicker' 5W-30's, relatively speaking. It's around 65cst @40C, and is 10.7 cst @100C.

very simple. you have excellent group 2+ 5w20 available, such as MC semi synth, YB, GB.. Just blend in as much as you need.
I will typically use one part 5w20, 2-3 parts 5w30. If you want the product to be extra good, just use a group 3 5w30

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryland
I When I wrote them about it they told me they cant tell me because its a super secret! Everyone else lists that so I'm betting that its thicker than gravy at start up.

Did you search the VOA forum? Not sure if any of the popular labs give 40C visc in VOA.

Schaeffer #7000 5W30, website stated 47 ~ 52 cSt(average 49.5cSt?)at 40 deg.C

Edit: Sorry, didn't read carefully that only dino being considered, I think #7000 does not count as dino

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryland
Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Quaker State Winter Blend. VI is over 200.
50 cSt at 40C.

That may be a canadian thing because I've never seen that

They have it in the U.S. too, but I've never seen it on any shelves. I've seen it advertised however.

It's more popular up here because of our cold winters. Canadian tire does an oil change package with it in the fall/winter for like $70...expensive, but reasonably popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back