Who made the original struts?.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went looking for replacement struts for my '02 explorer online, and the prices are all over the place. So to try and use what has given me good service, I'd like to stick with whatever brand the vehicle came with, but who made them? And whats a decent replacement brand?. I don't want to spend more then the car is worth for struts tho.,,,

The OE supplier was most likely Monroe or Gabriel. Both of their quick struts should be OK to use. KYB also makes good shocks.

There is also a Rancho Quick Lift, a quick strut with a lift kit! Rancho is part of Monroe.

All of the above have rebate promos going on.

If you use Monroe, DO NOT get the Econo-Matic! they are lower quality.

Rock auto shows monroe reflex shocks for $53.79 for the front, and $64.99 for the rear.

There is a $100 gift card rebate if you buy four by may 31.

They also have a sachs front strut bearing for $17.96

Edit: If you have amazon prime, they have the monroe 71321 reflex for $60.00 and the 71322 for $52.50 shipping should be free and you can apply for the rebate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0012X46VI/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0012X0IA6/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

They say that ebay or other auction websites do not qualify for the rebate.

I might call them about amazon.

http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/promotions/2016-US-Monroe-Get-100-FINAL-REBATE-PAD.pdf

Last edited:
MacPherson made the original strut, and were first used on the MkI Ford Zephyr and Consul. English Fords used them right through the '50's, '60's, '70's and beyond.

Last edited:
A lot of OE shocks and struts on late 1990's to early 2000's for Ford RWD & 4WD vehicles were made by Tokico. It will be stamped right on the strut or shock somewhere if it is Tokico.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Rock auto shows monroe reflex shocks for $53.79 for the front, and $64.99 for the rear.

There is a $100 gift card rebate if you buy four by may 31.

They also have a sachs front strut bearing for $17.99.

Sachs is a good product, so good in fact, that the originals just need re-packing with wheel bearing grease
grin2.gif
:grin3:

I'm looking for the complete assembly. I did the spring change on a friends car, and what a pita that was. Besides my struts have 180k miles on them, so the springs are getting a bit tired by now. With the mileage my car has, I can't see spending $100 or more per strut as making much sense, because if something major went on it would mean getting rid of it. Thanks for the reply's. I guess I'll pick one in the low to mid ranges of the price scale.,,

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Just be aware that the unity/fcs/sensen strut units may not last, some only use them to sell a vehicle.

Oh, they'll last like 10k....
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I'm looking for the complete assembly. I did the spring change on a friends car, and what a pita that was. Besides my struts have 180k miles on them, so the springs are getting a bit tired by now. With the mileage my car has, I can't see spending $100 or more per strut as making much sense, because if something major went on it would mean getting rid of it. Thanks for the reply's. I guess I'll pick one in the low to mid ranges of the price scale.,,

Monroe Quick Strut or Gabriel Readymount are about $100 each from Rock Auto, plus you get a $100 rebate
smile.gif

Who here has FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with blown generic struts made in the last five years or whatever their development cycle is?

I put two sets of sensen rear struts on two neons, a whole set on my camry, and two sensen shocks on my wife's HHR. No problems. Sadly, not a ton of miles yet, but I'll mention if they fail.

This Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt bit is a bit much without the data to back it up. Like it or not, Sensen has a huge part # assortment and they could be an up-and-comer like KYB was 20 years back. They don't need undeserved put-downs.

Quote:
Who here has FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with blown generic struts made in the last five years or whatever their development cycle is?

I have. Bought some cheapies online for the in laws Taurus when the OE springs broke (a common problem). Within 15,000 miles, both struts were blown. There were huge puddles of oil in the garage and the back end felt like a pogo stick going down the road. My in laws are about as easy on cars as any one person could be. Its not like the sides of the strut grenaded. But the seals blew out in a very short period of time. When I took them off, the shafts freely moved in and out of the stanchion as you rotated them 180 degrees. I did an air suspension delete on an Expedition for a co worker and his shocks were blown in a short period of time too. The oil in those cheapie shocks and struts always smell like some cheapo oil they use as rust preventative on Chinese machine shop equipment. I would only use cheapie shocks and struts on a beater car I was trying to unload.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I put two sets of sensen rear struts on two neons, a whole set on my camry, and two sensen shocks on my wife's HHR. No problems. Sadly, not a ton of miles yet, but I'll mention if they fail.

This Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt bit is a bit much without the data to back it up. Like it or not, Sensen has a huge part # assortment and they could be an up-and-comer like KYB was 20 years back. They don't need undeserved put-downs.

I have first-hand experience. My car has Unity quick struts, about 10k on them (done by the previous owner shortly before I purchased the car), and they're already on their way out!

KYB was NOT an up-and-comer 20 years ago! They've been around 80 years, and have been in the US for 40. The largest shock company, and the OE supplier to most Japanese cars.

Widespread problems with Sensen and the other cheap no-names.

Plus, the good quick struts don't cost much more than the cheap [censored], once the rebate is factored in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back