Who lives in Tennessee? I'm moving

So there were places I missed out on that had better garages, a few of them even had two post lifts. I was pretty bummed on one house we lost because it was perfect. I still did very well and will get a complete manspace/garage so I am not complaining to much.
Nice spread! And beautiful garage. I'm envious! Having seen all that, you have to post a pic of the house.

So this deal totally fell through. 😞

It happened right after I posted this and I was super bummed. Spent the next few weeks looking and finally found something else.

I waited until I closed before posting. Still Tenn and probably more beautiful. Near the reactor 😀

PXL_20210506_195817826.jpg
PXL_20210506_195817826.jpg

I was stationed in Clarksville TN for 4 years, spent 2 years deployed so 2 years in the state. The TN & KY area have a lot going for them. On the plus side, they are very liberty minded states, very pro freedom, low taxes, friendly people. Nashville is one of my favorite medium sized cities for entertainment, especially music and music history. Before Covid, a typical night there would find oneself walking downtown with music pouring out of every bar. It was very culturally rich. But prone to flooding and tornadoes. The best BBQ I ever had in my life was in Memphis, not far from Graceland which is a must-see if you're nearby. And if you like BBQ, it's a treat. Of course, that region has the Jack Daniels distillery (in a dry county, oddly enough) and the KY Bourbon trail. So if you like dark liquor you're in luck. The Smoky Mountain national park is fantastic, and the only location I've ever seen wild bears.

On the negative side of the balance sheet, the winters are surprisingly cold and can present very icy roads and bad drivers with only summer vehicles/tires.... The summers remarkably hot and humid and bring terrible storms with frequent tornado threat and sometimes flooding. So property on a hill is wise. Don't ever walk in grass barefoot or lay in grass, the chiggers are really really bad.

Overall, I've lived in 9 states and traveled extensively. I'd rate that general area among the best region in the nation.

On the negative side of the balance sheet, the winters are surprisingly cold and can present very icy roads and bad drivers with only summer vehicles/tires.... The summers remarkably hot and humid and bring terrible storms with frequent tornado threat and sometimes flooding. So property on a hill is wise. Don't ever walk in grass barefoot or lay in grass, the chiggers are really really bad.
The summers wont be a problem for me coming from FL. I am a little worried about the winter. It doesn't get super cold but it is something I am not used to anymore. Honestly I am looking forward to the change of seasons, having lived in FL since 1992 and its endless summer.

The Smoky Mountain national park is fantastic, and the only location I've ever seen wild bears.
HA. I actually ran across a bear when I was biking near Ocoee a few years ago. To say I was worried was an understatement. He was just sitting on the trail and I rolled up on him pretty fast. He took one look at me and started down the hill. I didn't hang around to long to see what he did, I just turned around and eased myself out of there. Heart rate was up and it was not from the riding :)

If it's over 20% humidity it's a no-go unless I'm at the beach somewhere. Are you leading me to believe that the summers in TN aren't humid? I've been there every season except summer.
Depends what you call humid, anyplace within 100 miles from any coast in the USA near the ocean or surrounded by ocean like Fl or Long Island NY is 50% more humid.

The internet is peoples friend if they worry about what climate they want to live in.

Purchased and had installed four trailer tires at the Wal-Mart in Manchester, TN yesterday.

While the tires were being mounted and installed, walked around the Wal-Mart. Manchester might have the cleanest, and well merchandised Wal-Mart in the nation. This place was spotless, not full of clutter, ect. I had never been in a Wal-Mart like this before.

Congrats on your move to TN!

I live in KY and its OK. When you cross the Ohio river into KY, you enter the Promised Land. Anything South is too. Great camping in TN.

What are the property taxes like in Tennessee? That's my main concern, that if I retire here in Texas that the property taxes are going to bleed me dry.

I've lived in Texas for 32 years, but I am originally from Corvallis, Oregon, and I miss the mountains. And rivers, lakes, fishing, skiing, etc. Yeah they have those things in Texas but it's not like pulling rainbow trout from a cold crystal clear Cascade Mountains stream. I don't know that moving back to the PNW is realistic with the cost of living though. Tennessee and W North Carolina look nice on paper at least. I would really prefer somewhere that is not quite as hot as Central Texas is consistently. With the hotter weather we seem to be having in recent years it's getting up above 100 much more consistently. Two summer ago it was like 60 days above 100. That's too hot.

The property taxes in Texas are killer unless you move to the country and put the land in Ag. It gets capped when you turn 65 but still, on a ~400K property you are going to be paying north of $10K per year. And the property values are going up like mad around here.

But to get something affordable in the country in Texas with say 20 acres that you could put into Ag, you really need to be out in the sticks, like say 100 miles from Austin. I can't see living 100 miles from town in retirement. It would be great for my bike riding hobby but otherwise I don't think I'd be a fan of being 100 miles out from civilization.

What are the property taxes like in Tennessee? That's my main concern, that if I retire here in Texas that the property taxes are going to bleed me dry.

I've lived in Texas for 32 years, but I am originally from Corvallis, Oregon, and I miss the mountains. And rivers, lakes, fishing, skiing, etc. Yeah they have those things in Texas but it's not like pulling rainbow trout from a cold crystal clear Cascade Mountains stream. I don't know that moving back to the PNW is realistic with the cost of living though. Tennessee and W North Carolina look nice on paper at least. I would really prefer somewhere that is not quite as hot as Central Texas is consistently. With the hotter weather we seem to be having in recent years it's getting up above 100 much more consistently. Two summer ago it was like 60 days above 100. That's too hot.

The property taxes in Texas are killer unless you move to the country and put the land in Ag. It gets capped when you turn 65 but still, on a ~400K property you are going to be paying north of $10K per year. And the property values are going up like mad around here.

But to get something affordable in the country in Texas with say 20 acres that you could put into Ag, you really need to be out in the sticks, like say 100 miles from Austin. I can't see living 100 miles from town in retirement. It would be great for my bike riding hobby but otherwise I don't think I'd be a fan of being 100 miles out from civilization.
For the counties I've looked at recently, seems considerably cheaper than what you describe for taxes and what I pay as well.

I would not live in FL for $$$; NC, SC, TN and north parts of GA and AL is soooooo desirable to many people;

also, depending where you'll live, beach and mountains are normally 4hrs away by car

I think you making the right decision
4 hrs to the beach is 3 hrs too far. Places like FL are too flat, hot and humid. That’s a lot of the reason why I like where I live, most policies and tax scenarios aside.

Very frustrating.

NE Alabama would be a great spot for me, but it’s too far from the beach.

4 hrs to the beach is 3 hrs too far. Places like FL are too flat, hot and humid. That’s a lot of the reason why I like where I live, most policies and tax scenarios aside.

Very frustrating.

Only about 5 hrs.

Very frustrating.

If I want to go to the beach, I'd rather just fly to a resort in Mexico where I will have my every whim catered to. It is expensive to stay down at the coast in Texas due to the high hotel taxes levied by the local jurisdictions. And the water is not nice. It's nicer at S. Padre, but that is a 6 hour drive from my area.

Thusly, I need to be close to an airport that has decent international service, kind of limits my options. Nashville does have direct service to Cancun, so there's that to consider.

Back