Who lives in Tennessee? I'm moving

I spent lots of time in the Chattanooga area when I was instituting my bail out of Crook county plan. West side of Chattanooga by Racoons mountain is pretty sweet. 10 minutes from downtown.
Signal mountain is nice also. Liked it up there.
Next time your out there check out W road. Twisty with a capital T.

Whats wrong with Florida?
I thought Florida was great for retirement.
Fattylocks must be in Shicago.

I spent lots of time in the Chattanooga area when I was instituting my bail out of Crook county plan. West side of Chattanooga by Racoons mountain is pretty sweet. 10 minutes from downtown.
Signal mountain is nice also. Liked it up there.
Next time your out there check out W road. Twisty with a capital T.
Raccoon Mountain is my favorite place to mountain bike!

Chattanooga is a cool area. If the outdoors is your thing (hiking, biking, exploring, etc), you’ll really like Chatt.

They’ve really done a lot over the last several years to revitalize the downtown area, also.

As others have said, there (were) lots of festivals, endurance sporting events (ultra marathons, triathlons, etc), concerts, etc.

In the area, check out Lookout Mountain, Rock City, Ruby Falls, the Tennessee Aquarium, and Rembrandt’s Coffeehouse.

Also great roads everywhere if you’re a driving/motorcycling enthusiast.

Come on up! Let me know when you do - I’ll drive down and meet you for a cup of coffee and we’ll talk about oil and Porsches (im not a Porsche owner, but would like to be one day)!

Fattylocks must be in Shicago.
Nothing wrong with Florida.

Wife and I escaped New York about ten years ago to make money in Texas and sock away for our retirement in Florida.

I have found in both our fields we can make more money in Texas and spend less, however. Good for working folks like ourselves.

Nothing wrong with Florida.

Wife and I escaped New York about ten years ago to make money in Texas and sock away for our retirement in Florida.

I have found in both our fields we can make more money in Texas and spend less, however. Good for working folks like ourselves.

My son and daughter both live near Austin and moved for the same reasons you mentioned.

I talk to a few young adults (non relatives) and many are hesitant to move 1000 miles away to pursue career opportunities. It’s like they are afraid to leave the nest.

🤷‍♂️

FL is ok. I've been here 30+ years and built a nice life. It's just I want more scenery, outdoors, seasons. I'm not a beach person and the land here is scrub forest and flat. My area I live in is getting way to crowded, the town I live in had 12k people when I moved here and now it is pushing 80k. Every orange grove and strawberry field has been converted to subdivisions and the infrastructure has stayed the same. Time for us to move on as we retire we want more of what we like which is mountains, hiking, biking and some space. We want to have neighbors but not hear them if you know what I mean.

FL is ok. I've been here 30+ years and built a nice life. It's just I want more scenery, outdoors, seasons. I'm not a beach person and the land here is scrub forest and flat. My area I live in is getting way to crowded, the town I live in had 12k people when I moved here and now it is pushing 80k. Every orange grove and strawberry field has been converted to subdivisions and the infrastructure has stayed the same. Time for us to move on as we retire we want more of what we like which is mountains, hiking, biking and some space. We want to have neighbors but not hear them if you know what I mean.
I would not live in FL for $$$; NC, SC, TN and north parts of GA and AL is soooooo desirable to many people;

also, depending where you'll live, beach and mountains are normally 4hrs away by car

I think you making the right decision

Last edited:
Totally agree with everything you said. As a native Floridian (but lived all over the SE), I'm retired on Disability and ready to move away. Coincidently, I'm also looking for a piece of land in TN, but a bit more towards the NC border. As much as I hate to admit it, I just can't take the heat like I used to and I've always wanted to be near the mountains.

Totally agree with everything you said. As a native Floridian (but lived all over the SE), I'm retired on Disability and ready to move away. Coincidently, I'm also looking for a piece of land in TN, but a bit more towards the NC border. As much as I hate to admit it, I just can't take the heat like I used to and I've always wanted to be near the mountains.
The area where TN, GA and NC meet is an awesome place. Lot's of land and mountain scenery, two nice rivers if you want to raft. It's my favorite area to camp.

Well this is sad and sickening news.

We are moving to the lower part of Tennessee. Looking around Chattanooga, Cleveland and Athens.

Anyone live in these areas can give me the lowdown? We are looking for a little land but don't want to live in the wilderness. Looking for an are that has a somewhat vibrant town that will allow us to do things. Markets, festivals outdoor stuff etc. Of course once covid is over. Would like to stay south of Knoxville and east of Jasper.
As a native Tennessean who moved to Georgia at an early age. I’ve reached the age of close to retirement
My wife is retiring this December from the Georgia school system
As you’ve mentioned there are tax benefits by living in TN

So by this time next year I’ll be back in Tennessee and to be honest I can’t wait !
Looking forward to being back home so to speak

Will have to meet up and do a Tail of the Dragon run sometime after you get settled.
You won’t be too far from me and I’m looking for an excuse to dust off “Violet” on the mountain roads.

Attachments

• 2A93796E-6C2D-4151-B38D-5B7CBE5E05C7.jpeg
    2A93796E-6C2D-4151-B38D-5B7CBE5E05C7.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 9

Florida got that reputation when it was relatively cheap to live there. Supposedly it's not so cheap any more. Tennessee is still relatively cheap and, like Florida, has no income tax. In Florida, car and homeowners insurance is supposedly expensive as well.

I wouldn't let that turd Scotty into the beautiful state of Tennessee if I was a resident. I love that state but it only pays half and the cost of living is more than half compared to here. Summers and humidity arecalso likely a deal killer. It is a beautiful state though.

I wouldn't let that turd Scotty into the beautiful state of Tennessee if I was a resident. I love that state but it only pays half and the cost of living is more than half compared to here. Summers and humidity arecalso likely a deal killer. It is a beautiful state though.
I find it humorous when someone that’s never lived in Tennessee can make a statement about summers and humidity.
Apparently you don’t know much about
Tennessee

Back