Who knows Northern Idaho well? Sandpoint, CDA, elsewhere?

I had an itch to travel a bit; needed some space. Took off after social work today and got as far as Spokane. The finest view I've ever seen at the Columbia Gorge. (more below), in many years. I always stop at the "wild horse" viewpoint.

Anyway, tonight I'm in a cheap hotel in Spokane. Have a few nights/days to spend in the Idaho panhandle. Sandpoint? CDA? where should I find a hotel for two nights to see some scenery, take a hike, view pretty lake views? I have been to neither before - I always cross on back roads south when going from east-west and this was my gift to myself to get to the norther points. There's clear weather and I have a Volvo XC so I can manage some forest roads if there are special places to get to, not serious off-road, though.

I'm going to leave Spokane tomorrow morning and likely head to a motel in Sandpoint unless given other better advice.

Columbia Gorge at sunset tonight, about 5pm:
IMG-3005.jpg

Same time, view to the east; amazing difference!
IMG-3004.JPG

To the north, fog coming up and I had a hideous drive the next 45 mintues/hour:

IMG-3003.JPG

To the south, just to cover the compass:

Thanksgiving 2020.JPG

Given Covid rules, I don't have the firepower to cross the Canadian Border, so it's going to have to stay in Northern Idaho. ;)

Last edited:
Priest lake is nice and also the drive from Sandpoint if you are in that area.

Thank you, that's a good idea. I have heard of it, and thanks for reminding me. Maybe it can be a side trip, or a loop on the way back.

It's not that far from Sandpoint and lots of campgrounds and parks and this time of year they won't be crowded.

I live right on the Clark Fork River, 30 miles South East of Sandpoint going out HWY 200. Couple miles outside of Clark Fork and just about 5 miles from the Montana boarder.

I'm on a new laptop so I don't have any pictures on this computer. I will try to come back to this thread and post some.

A drive out HWY200 right along the lake with many pull out points with point of interest placards with historical info about the site. Its a really nice drive.

Oh, I didn't mean the "pitch a tent" thing literally. That was sloppy speaking, I edited that. I am going to get a modest hotel in either Sandpoint or CDA, or... (I don't think there are other options?). I want to drive around and see good stuff. I am not above camping, etc., or cool weather - I am an ex-professional ski patroller, avid camper. this is more relaxed. I brought winter gear with me to hike or such, but not a tent or bag, etc.

Want to know if I should (figuratively) "pitch my tent" in CDO or Sandpoint, or elsewhere, to be positioned to view things/travel/see great stuff.

I have been back and forth east-west across MT/ID/WA many, many time over 20 years almost. I always take a southern route through Lolo pass and avoid 90, enjoy the back roads. Getting up to northern ID has always been a wish and now I suffered the drag along I-90; I'm here (or on the doorstep right now).

Sorry I was misleading before.

Last edited:
sounds like a grand adventure I'd love to partake in myself some day, unfortunately all of my ID knowledge is down around Twin, where most of Mom's Family are.

Hwy.200 is a really nice drive. Hwy.95 north to Bonners Ferry is a really nice drive too. About 40 miles east of Bonners Ferry is Kootenai Falls and that would be a nice trip.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll head north and to Sandpoint via Priest river instead of the direct route, maybe Priest Lake today.

Yes, it's near Vantage over the bridge going up I -90 towards Moses Lake.

in WA, horses are fake. Not like NV or TX. lol

Hwy.200 is a really nice drive. Hwy.95 north to Bonners Ferry is a really nice drive too. About 40 miles east of Bonners Ferry is Kootenai Falls and that would be a nice trip.
If your going to do this drive, take HWY 2 east into Montana to Kootenai Falls, but after your finished there continue to Troy Montana. Continue to take the HWY 2 along the Bull River and It ends at HWY 200 about 10 miles from the border of Idaho and Montana. You can then take the HYW 200 drive back to Sandpoint. "Stay out of CDA" You came all the way out here! Why would you want to be in the city...

The better Motel/Hotels are on HWY 2 in Ponderay, only 2 of them, somewhat of a suburb of Sandpoint. There is only one good Hotel in Sandpoint that I know of.

If you look at the map, there is another more adventurous way to go out HWY 37 in Montana to HWY 93 and come down thru Flathead Lake. It might be more than you can do in a day if you stop and see the sites. But its an incredible drive!

I think Tent camping is somewhat out of season...lol, it's 29 degree's here at 7;30pm and it has warmed up past few days.

The water in the Kootenay River that runs past my place in SE BC on the Canadian side of the border runs past Bonners Ferry. The trip is a bit off season but Sandpoint is a real quaint place to visit. There are some good places to eat there. Check out the old downtown area. Lots of neat shops. Watch out for road sections that are in the shade. They can be icy. :)

You need to get out of Capitol Hill more often.

believe it or not I've seen wild horses in outskirts of Yakima and I thought they belong to a farm or something but was told they were wild ... The ones I saw looked more like a very big mule and nothing like the wild ones in Nevada.
The horses near Vantage need some Krown or Fluid Film.

Thanks for the thread. I plan to visit Northern Idaho in the Spring and hopefully find a property there to homestead within the next year or two. My heart is called there and I can't delay any longer. Amazing photos!

Back