Who knows how to use this Honeywell thermostat?

honeywell.JPG

Moved into a new rental, and I'm strugling with this thermostat, what a PITA. I've successfully disabled the schedules after quite a strugle. Now I'm trying to change the default temp from 78 to something else. I know about the hold temp function.
Anyone else have one of these stupid things?

I have one similar. Just press the temp down button to the temp you want, and then press hold, to maintain that temp.

you will need to go through the programming of the thermostat and program the time and temp wanted.

I had one in my rental. It may not be this exact model (CT3200), but there were quite a few similar ones. I think the instructions should be the same if it's not quite the same model. The layout is a bit odd, but the white buttons in the instructions need to be read with the heading at the top then the button underneath. Like "Set Schedule" is the "Schedule" button on the thermostat is under the Set heading.

The instructions are right there on the label, follow heating program. Programs like an old VCR.

you will need to go through the programming of the thermostat and program the time and temp wanted.
Well I'm not interested in programming time and temp. Many times I don't even know what I'm doing in 2 hours. I want a nice and easy turn on AC at a temp. Don't want to make turning on the AC a project every time.

I had one in my rental. It may not be this exact model (CT3200), but there were quite a few similar ones. I think the instructions should be the same if it's not quite the same model. The layout is a bit odd, but the white buttons in the instructions need to be read with the heading at the top then the button underneath. Like "Set Schedule" is the "Schedule" button on the thermostat is under the Set heading.

Thanks for linking! Those instructions look similar to the garbage instructions on the label of my unit.
Those instructions don't address how to change the default temp for run program. I want to flip that switch on the bottom to cool and be done with it.

So you want to use the cool-off-heat switch as an on off switch? Select a temp and hit the hold temp button

That's what I've been doing. Wife is not going to like it.

I'm really confused on what you're trying to do. If you want a default temp, go through and program whatever temp you want for each of the 4 daily times, you can then override it until the next program if you're hot or cold by just hitting the temp up or down buttons.

Thanks for linking! Those instructions look similar to the garbage instructions on the label of my unit.
Those instructions don't address how to change the default temp for run program. I want to flip that switch on the bottom to cool and be done with it.

That was all I could find directly from Honeywell. I found this full set of instructions:

I'm pretty sure I had this same model, and trying to program the settings was a pain. I think there were separate weekday and weekend settings.

There is no default temp on those thermostats. You need to use hold or actually do the programming for each day (set your own defaults) in that programming. If you want to override the thermostat then you'll have to use the hold button after you reset the temp.

You're in a rental so you are stuck with it. I'm glad I have a nest thermostat. Once you get a wifi thermostat there is no going back.

Your options are to program everything for the temp you want or to use the hold function. Programming is a one time deal and does not take that long. Just set the same temp for everything, and don't worry about times or days... There is no "default" temp on one of these.

That's what I've been doing. Wife is not going to like it.

For something this simple, I'd ask the landlord if I could just replace the current thermostat with a manual one. It's easy enough to remove and put back. It might look ugly though depending on the paint (I've seen the area under thermostats unpainted or in a different shade). It's also really easy to patch up holes later.

I don't have A/C in my house, but still have an old Honeywell thermostat with a mercury switch. I had to replace it (used a simple Honeywell unit without a thermometer dial) but I'm not quite sure what to do with the old one.

There are some that are pretty simple with a bimetallic coil that makes contact to turn on heating/cooling. There are also some simple digital thermostats that are set to a specific temp without any complicated programming that has to be disabled with a HOLD button.

Wow. So many replies but no a single answer in how to help. OP, you need to click on 'Schedule', then set the time and temperature, then click on schedule again to set time and temperature for a different time, then again, and then again. By default, you would be setting for weekdays, and if you press Schedule again, you can set for weekends. After all done, you can click on 'Run Program' to save your settings. The system will turn on if the detected temperature is above the one you have set for the given time starting period.

Also remember that you would need to do this again if you switch to 'Heat' mode, which I doubt you will ever have to use in California. Also remember that not every thermostat controls the central A/C.

I usually have the thermostat set at 88 during the day and set at 77 at 6pm and have it go back to 88 at 1am. If there is persistent heat/humidity, then anyone can decrease it back to max 75 for the night, which I then revert back to 88 in the morning. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Your options are to program everything for the temp you want or to use the hold function. Programming is a one time deal and does not take that long. Just set the same temp for everything, and don't worry about times or days... There is no "default" temp on one of these.
That's pretty much it. I had one of these for 17 years and it was pretty straightforward - easier to program than the one that the HVAC guy installed with my new system. If the OP wants to default a temp, either use the hold option or program it so all of the time periods are the same temperature and then override as wanted/needed.

Wow. So many replies but no a single answer in how to help. ...

No, I think we did try to help, but that isn't what is wanted. The OP wants to use the thermostat like a switch with a different temp than what is set in it now. As stated, mulitple times, the options are:

turn the unit to on/cool, then use the hold temp function to whatever temp is desired...

Or,

Program all the settings to the same temp. Then the time doesn't matter, if its turned on, it will go to the same temp.

That's it...

No, I think we did try to help, but that isn't what is wanted. The OP wants to use the thermostat like a switch with a different temp than what is set in it now. As stated, mulitple times, the options are:

turn the unit to on/cool, then use the hold temp function to whatever temp is desired...

Or,

Program all the settings to the same temp. Then the time doesn't matter, if its turned on, it will go to the same temp.

That's it...
If I was renting a house, I wouldn't let the tenant touch the thermostat. Or, I guess this is when those wifi thermostats might come in handy to monitor what they are doing to kill your system.

Back